China | Gay Marriage | Gay Marriage Quotes | News | PFLAG | Video

90 Year Old Publicly Announces Her Support Of Her Gay Grandson - VIDEO

Chinese Grandma

While LGBT people are enjoying greater acceptance in China, many still face difficulty when coming out to their conservative and/or traditionally-minded parents. As a result, many were shocked to see a 90-year-old woman playing such a vital role in the creation of a video by PFLAG China

Upon viewing the actual video, though, the woman's comments don't prove to be all that revolutionary. Like many other grandmas the world over, all she wants is to see her grandchild meet someone nice and settle down:

"I am 90-years old. My grandson is gay. He is kind and mature. I hope he will find a boyfriend and live a happy life. And I hope our government supports him.”

PFLAG ChinaAccording to Queerty, the video's star is the grandmother of "an engineer in Fuzhou who goes by the alias Mutou". He said that, despite her message of love and acceptance, she "will have to deal with lots of pressure from strangers and relatives." Then again, senior citizens in general aren't exactly known for paying much mind to "pressure from strangers and relatives".

"Mutou came out to his parents last year, but it was his nonagenarian nana that was the most supportive and understanding. 'She even tried to calm my parents — who were less accepting in the beginning — and asked them to take it easy,' Mutou told the South China Morning Post. 'She did it out of simple love.'"

Watch the full video AFTER THE JUMP and try not to smile...

Comments

1. Even going directly to the SCMP website, the video says "Application Disabled" for me. I tried IE and Firefox.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 14, 2013 7:45:49 PM

2. "Not that revolutionary?" That assessment clearly isn't based in an understanding of Chinese culture and government policy, which places a great deal of importance on filial duty and continuing the family line. In the context of the one-child policy, being a gay man in China often means not only fighting a society that expects you to have children, but family shame. By the time most gay men reach puberty and begin to discover their sexual orientation, it is almost too late for his parents to decide to have another child.

So, for a grandmother to say, "we just want him to be happy" DOES mean a lot. It symbolizes modernizing attitudes and seeing beyond THOUSANDS of years of Confucianism, a philosophy that predates Christianity by several hundred years, and has been essentially an unbroken cultural tradition across East Asia. How's that for context.

Posted by: atomic | Aug 14, 2013 7:57:43 PM

3. Here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1weKvkg9sQ

Posted by: Mark | Aug 14, 2013 8:12:18 PM

4. Atomic - thank you.

Posted by: DG | Aug 14, 2013 8:24:03 PM

5. As a Chinese American gay man, I think this is truly amazing.

Posted by: David | Aug 14, 2013 8:57:17 PM

6. It is revolutionary indeed. What a lovely piece of news.

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 14, 2013 9:06:47 PM

7. If I could change at 50, why couldn't she change at 90? Something to think about for the many people on this site who constantly wish for the death of "old" people instead of realizing that as long as you're alive you can change - and contribute to good in the world!

Posted by: Mary | Aug 14, 2013 9:38:42 PM

8. The 90 year old Chinese grandmother say about her grandson: " I hope he will find a boyfriend and live a happy life. And I hope our government supports him". You folks at Towleroad don't think that is a revolutionary statement. Give us a sample of the revolutionary statement you think she should have made.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 14, 2013 9:44:39 PM

9. I think she is wonderful and I wish her grandson all the happiness he can find

Posted by: bructer | Aug 14, 2013 11:01:07 PM

10. Love is what matters. Let's remember that.

If the Christians can't do it, then we need to show them how it's done.

Posted by: Peaches | Aug 15, 2013 12:04:14 AM

11. :)

Posted by: tikko | Aug 15, 2013 12:14:48 AM

12. Wow, I am so happy to see this! I wish I had this wonderful grandmother to look up to for courage when I had decided to come out to my parents. I ended up getting a really long lecture on traditional Chinese family values and why my attraction for men was naive and immature, but I have faith that their attitudes will change in the future!

Posted by: Kev | Aug 15, 2013 1:13:00 AM

13. Videos here always say Application Disabled or Private or something.

Still an awesome site. TowleRoad rocks!

Oh, and Atomic...thanks, saved me a lot of typing.

Posted by: emjayay | Aug 15, 2013 3:00:46 AM

14. From the YouTube video caption - for some reason RJ Aguiar left out some of her best stuff:

I'm 90 years old. My grandson, @木头宅, is gay. He is very dutiful and sensible. I love him dearly. I hope he finds a good boyfriend and lives a happy life, and I hope that the government supports him."

Now THATS real Chinese Confucian Family Values. Dutiful and sensible trumps anything. I'll bet that @木头宅 respects his elders too.

Posted by: emjayay | Aug 15, 2013 3:09:17 AM

15. This is good news,especially for my gay Chinese friends. I have one via skype. He had read some of my post on my blog about Harvey Milk and being part of the early S.F. gay rights
    movement. I have become his mentor. He is now in college in Japan. Remember, not so long ago that Chinese families were limited to one child. For those, it is particularly hard... because their parents expected grandchildren in the future. He had introduced me via sky to other friends who had come to America to go to school near Chicago. He asked me not to tell them he was gay. However, when several had come on a visit,I had the pleasure to be their tour guide. They had google my name and found out that I was gay. They enjoyed their stay and was quite interested in my involvement in gay history. We still communicate quite often. I find this news very interesting and I will be passing it on to my friend in Japan, because he has yet to tell his parents who loves and for giving him a chance to get a college education.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | Aug 15, 2013 8:34:43 AM

16. A nice story. But please folks, don't forget, China is controlled by a tiny and ruthless one party elite [nominally communist] and what they say or decide to do is the law, period. China is not a democracy and if the government decides to 'crack down' it will and can, with little viable opposition. The Chinese government engages in many publicity stunts and propaganda that it knows will go down well with liberal minded foreigners, especially those in the west. Don't ever forget China IS NOT a free country, with a free people, and with democratic elections. It is a country with no real, reliable rule of law.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 15, 2013 8:59:29 AM