Ben Whishaw | Couples | I'm Gay | News

Actor Ben Whishaw Confirms He's Gay, Married to His Partner

Whishaw

British actor Ben Whishaw (right, Skyfall, Brideshead Revisited, Cloud Atlas) has confirmed he's gay via a statement from a publicist about his marriage to his partner, Australian composer Mark Bradshaw, which took place nearly a year ago. Up till now it was thought Whishaw was gay but never confirmed because of the actor's hesitancy to discuss it.

The Daily Mail reports:

Speculation was sparked by an interview he gave to the gay magazine Out in March 2011 while playing a homosexual character in an off-Broadway play, The Pride.

When the interviewer asked whether it was important for young gay people to have positive role models, Whishaw replied: ‘I feel in my heart that it’s important, but I don’t quite know yet the way to go about that. Maybe that’s the transitional thing I feel I’m in the middle of at the moment.’

Last night Whishaw’s spokesman confirmed the civil partnership, saying: ‘Ben has never hidden his sexuality, but like many actors he prefers not to discuss his family or life outside of his work.

‘Due to speculation, I can confirm that Ben and Mark entered into a civil partnership in August 2012. They were proud to do so and are very happy.’

Comments

1. Ankerich is another alias of our resident troll. He uses the same link in his username as past aliases of Rick/Jason. Just ignore him.

Posted by: MateoM | Aug 4, 2013 4:42:12 PM

2. I wonder what caused him to come out? Was the Daily Mail forcing his hand?

Also, I need to fix the PR statement: "Like many CLOSETED actors he prefers not to discuss his family or life outside of work."

Posted by: Joseph | Aug 4, 2013 5:19:17 PM

3. Beautiful congrats!

Posted by: LuckyCiro | Aug 4, 2013 5:21:56 PM

4. Beautiful congrats!

Posted by: LuckyCiro | Aug 4, 2013 5:22:08 PM

5. on being able to fully live a free and authentic life, and in a loving relationship as well.

Posted by: M.J | Aug 4, 2013 5:22:42 PM

6. Awww. I love his work. This makes me so happy. Welcome to the family.

Posted by: Jerry | Aug 4, 2013 5:23:15 PM

7. OMG I've had the BIGGEST crush on him for the longest time. I'll have to accept he's in a solid relationship with an equally adorable guy. Proud of him for doing this.

Posted by: Kyle | Aug 4, 2013 5:25:53 PM

8. Huge congrats to the happy couple and talented actor.

Posted by: Lev | Aug 4, 2013 5:27:57 PM

9. Congratulations - I thought there was definite gay subtext to his scenes with Bond in "Skyfall"= I hope he returns as Q.

Posted by: jaragon | Aug 4, 2013 6:25:55 PM

10. Under the new Marriage Law, civilly-partnered couples can convert their status to marriage (for a fee, I believe). So when the bill becomes effective, they may choose to do that. But for the time, they are not married. I know, seems like a small semantic distinction and not worth harping on. But frankly, we shouldn't confuse the two, because it undermines our mantra that separate-is-not-equal.

That said, I'm thrilled for the happy couple, and glad that they can soon marry. Congrats.

Posted by: Lars | Aug 4, 2013 6:36:35 PM

11. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the Reddit guy that was posted yesterday.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 4, 2013 6:43:55 PM

12. Nice. Loved him in Skyfall and Cloud Atlas. He's a cutie.

Posted by: daws | Aug 4, 2013 6:57:41 PM

13. He was truly amazing in the BBC's Hollow Crown - Richard II

The usage around civil partnerships in the UK has tended to be to refer to them as marriages - I guess this might change in the new law.

Posted by: Craig Nelson | Aug 4, 2013 7:12:29 PM

14. When mentioning Ben Whishaw, one should also always mention his late, lamented BBC tv series "The Hour." Terrific show and maybe Whishaw's best performance. If you get a chance, check it out.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Aug 4, 2013 7:33:19 PM

15. I met Ben by chance on the sidewalk outside the Lucille Lorton Theater on Christopher St. after a performance of THE PRIDE. Everyone was crowding around Hugh Dancy & Ben was all alone.
    I hadn't seen the play, but recognized him from previous roles. We had lovely conversation. He's totally charming.
    If you're a fan, don't miss THE HOUR on BBC-America when it returns.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Aug 4, 2013 8:22:46 PM

16. @jonnynyn sadly the BBC didnt commission another season of The Hour.

Posted by: Lazyccrockett | Aug 5, 2013 12:20:19 AM

17. Ben and Mark make such a lovely couple.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Aug 5, 2013 2:15:07 AM

18. While I accept the point on them not being the same... We have always called civil partnerships marriages in NZ and in UK (where they have existed for some time). Both privately and publicly it's been accepted as the same thing as no-one has felt the need to distinguish between the two. The drive to legalise actual marriage only really came from the US where the distinction was important for your fight. Most of us with civil partnerships were entirely happy with them and have never considered them lesser.

Please be careful in your rhetoric not to belittle people who were perfectly happy with a state sanctioned union that did not involve religion. In NZ where straight people can elect a civil partnerships, I know of many straight couples who have done so out of personal belief. Are they too 'not married'?

Posted by: Brent | Aug 5, 2013 4:24:17 AM

19. Nobody mentioned his performance as Richard II in Hollow Crown? He was so great that he even beat another Shakespearean and out actor, Derek Jacobi, for the best actor at the BAFTA TV Awards.

Posted by: vighorois | Aug 5, 2013 8:02:22 AM

20. @Brent--Thanks for the heads up. Good to know.

I've always like Ben in the roles he's had, and this seems like the nicest way to get married and come out as a celebrity while still maintaining a bit of privacy. Congrats to them both :)

Posted by: Daniel | Aug 5, 2013 8:14:25 AM

21. In Spain women didn't take their husbands name, so Penelope would never be Cruz-Cruise

And good for Ben. He has the type of career that will not be affected at all by his coming out

Posted by: jjose712 | Aug 5, 2013 10:22:26 AM

22. Sam: I really doubt it. If the reddit post was real, it was from an american actor for sure

Posted by: jjose712 | Aug 5, 2013 10:25:47 AM

23. Well, England and Wales have legalized gay marriage (as of 2014), so the Whishaw-Bradshaw (Shawshaw Redemption?) civil partnership may become a marriage by statute in the near future. And in England, it's not uncommon to refer colloquially to the civilly partnered as "married."

Now, why can't people just for once come out and say that they're single and looking for Mr. Right? And why can't that Mr. Right be me?

Posted by: Ben | Aug 5, 2013 11:25:31 AM

24. If he's gay and married, wouldn't he be married to his husband instead of his partner as you wrote in your story?

Heterosexuals get to married their wives or husbands, not their partners. Why the difference?

Posted by: truthteller | Aug 6, 2013 5:52:08 PM

25. A rising star of genuine talent. Brilliant in the BBC "The Hour" and in his superb performance in the film "Perfume" (a hit outside the US). Won the BAFTA this year (Richard II) and of course charmingly different as Q in "Skyfall." Always felt an affinity for him, and charmed to hear he is family. Way to go, Ben!

Posted by: DavidM | Aug 6, 2013 10:58:01 PM