Andre Leon Talley | Fashion Men | I'm Not Gay | News

American Fashion Guru André Leon Talley: I'm Not Gay

Despite making number 45 in Out magazine's 2007 list of the "50 Most Powerful Gay Men and Women in America," former Vogue editor-at-large and fashion guru André Leon Talley told Vanity Fair this week that he's not gay. He did admit however to having "some very gay experiences":

Andre_leon

When (Vogue contributing editor Vanessa) Grigoriadis asks Talley if he thought he was gay, even in high school, he responds, “No, no, no. I was just into my magazines and the drawings. I had a very strict upbringing, almost puritanical. I lived there all the way through college. I was in my grandmother’s house, and I respected that!”

Talley tells Grigoriadis that he rejects the “label” and says that, while he has “had very gay experiences, yes, I swear on my grandmother’s grave that I never slept with a single designer in my life. Never, ever desired, never was asked, never was approached, never, ever bought, in my entire career. Never. Not one. Skinny or fat. Never.”

Talley also tells Grigoriadis that he has never been in love with a man—only two women: one a fellow student in Providence, the other a society woman with whom he fell in love after a night of dancing in Manhattan and whose name he declines to share because she later married and had children.

On being single, Talley says, “I just said to a friend, ‘I can create this magic, so why don’t I have a lover?’” But, he tells Grigoriadis, “if I was a couple, I wouldn’t like to stay in the same bedroom. It is very un-chic in Europe to sleep in the same bedroom.”

In the same interview, Talley discusses his weight — “I do not weigh myself… I only know what I weigh from the way my clothes fit."

He also opines on whether his race explains why he's never been the editor of a major fashion magazine — “People stereotype you… What person of color do you know who’s in a position like that, be it a man or a woman, unless it’s Essence magazine?”

Comments

1. mkay. i thought he was gayer than a pink lunch box. i'm off to get my gaydar tuned up.

Posted by: deedrdo | Aug 10, 2013 3:04:29 PM

2. "Admit"? So he's not "guilty" of being gay, but he "admits" to being "guilty" of having gay experiences?

One more question: is it really that hard to find people who can write clearly and accurately and without anti-gay prejudice for this site?

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Aug 10, 2013 3:04:38 PM

3. This really strains credibility.

Posted by: bcarter3 | Aug 10, 2013 3:07:16 PM

4. I really have a hard time taking anything he says seriously. while i enthusiastically enjoy his aesthetic and larger than life personality he's not one to look to for serious opinions, same way i wouldn't fully trust grace coddington's take on world economics. also, any american that has to repeatedly look to europe for chicness is not one living either in the moment or this century.

Posted by: plinf | Aug 10, 2013 3:11:43 PM

5. He's editor-in-chief of Russian style magazine Numero Russia. Of course he says he's not gay.

Posted by: ger | Aug 10, 2013 3:20:28 PM

6. Beam me up Dorothy!

Posted by: Jerry | Aug 10, 2013 3:25:50 PM

7. He may not be a friend of Dorothy, but his wardrobe is certainly channeling Dorothy Zbornak.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 10, 2013 3:36:03 PM

8. Andre, can you spell D E N I A L?

Posted by: andrew | Aug 10, 2013 3:40:15 PM

9. Oh Mary Please. Your strict religious upbringing has phuckt up your mind.

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 10, 2013 3:41:59 PM

10. How completely fascinating. I hung out with ALT in the early 80s and it never crossed my mind, that he was not gay. One is reminded, however slightly, of photographer Bruce Weber, who is married but it is my belief that he has come out. As for ALT, its unclear if its just doesn't like the label, or perhaps as a religious person, he just doesn't engage in the act.

Posted by: Dude | Aug 10, 2013 3:44:54 PM

11. Dude is entitled to his opinion and how he labels himself, but he is the campiest straight man I've ever seen. I agree that he clearly hates the label "gay". He confesses to having sex with men but being in love with two women. Well, I'd bet the "love" was platonic and that's confused the poor guy. But I am not judging or mocking. We all have a bumpy path to self-acceptance.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Aug 10, 2013 3:59:43 PM

12. It makes sense to me. His taste is so horrible that I'd be embarrassed to claim him.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Aug 10, 2013 4:01:35 PM

13. So he's a homosexual heteroromanctic who's celibate? Or what? Autosexual?

Posted by: LabelMaker | Aug 10, 2013 4:05:05 PM

14. Where exactly in Europe is it un-chic to sleep in the same bedroom? Or should I say "when" instead of "where"?

That kind of reminds me of one American whom I met when he was travelling in Europe. He was surprised by Europeans wearing jeans. He said he had read that nobody in Europe wears jeans so he didn't take any with him on his trip because he didn't want to embarrass himself wearing them. I was out of words when he told me that. I don't know where people get their information...

Posted by: Jude | Aug 10, 2013 4:13:26 PM

15. Ha walking contradiction. "Had some gay experiences." Sorry pal, you are what you do.

Posted by: Jul Her | Aug 10, 2013 4:17:46 PM

16. What's a "very gay experience"?
    This just poses more questions.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 10, 2013 4:33:08 PM

17. This is to be expected from one of the most mean-spirited, petty, miserable men to walk the face of this earth.

Andre, honey, I'm not gay either. I just like to suck d*ck.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 10, 2013 4:35:35 PM

18. Queen, Please.

Posted by: the milkman | Aug 10, 2013 4:50:37 PM

19. Thank God he's not gay because he's so creepy.

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 10, 2013 4:59:12 PM

20. ........Girl, BYE.

Posted by: Munro | Aug 10, 2013 4:59:14 PM

21. Oh Brother!

Posted by: Ray | Aug 10, 2013 5:02:53 PM

22. He's not gay!

He's obviously not breathing either.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 10, 2013 5:07:02 PM

23. OMG, who cares?

Posted by: Eric | Aug 10, 2013 5:10:20 PM

24. That's funny, I always refer to him as: Andre (snap), Leon (snap) Talley (snap).

Posted by: Carlos | Aug 10, 2013 5:11:59 PM

25. Just because he's not getting any (free or paid for) doesn't mean he's not gay.

Posted by: S. | Aug 10, 2013 5:13:23 PM