Hockey | News | NHL | Olympics | Russia | Sidney Crosby | Sochi Olympics | You Can Play Project

NHL Star Sidney Crosby: 'I Don't Agree' with Russia's Anti-Gay Laws - VIDEO

Crosby

The NHL's top player Sidney Crosby was asked about his views on Russia's anti-gay laws at a press conference for Team Canada on Sunday.

"It's not something we've discussed a whole lot though, but, for me growing up in Canada, my view has always been that way. I think that everyone has an equal right to play and I think we've been supportive of that. With the Olympics and the controversy around that I think those decisions or those laws aren't necessarily something that we might agree with, I don't agree with personally ... their laws and their views, everyone's entitled to those."

Crosby's Team Canada teammate, Nashville Predators star Shea Weber (also a supporter of the You Can Play foundation) said he too disagrees, but echoed Crosby's intent to play in Russia and focus on the game:

"Obviously, the NHLPA and myself are trying to support that cause. Like Sidney said, the way we're brought up is different than how the Russians view it. We're going over there to play hockey and obviously that's what we're going to try and focus on this year throughout our season."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

High-profile Olympic athletes had better start getting their answers prepared because they are all going to be asked about this before the Games begin.

Webber

Comments

1. Amazing.

The pro hockey players clearly state that they disagree with the Russian anti-gay law.

Meanwhile, figure skater Jeremy Abbot compares hate laws to differences in decorating styles.

Posted by: Continuum | Aug 26, 2013 9:25:54 AM

2. Good point, Continuum!

Posted by: AG | Aug 26, 2013 10:23:00 AM

3. Like most other athletes, he doesn't agree with the law but conveniently skirts over the real issue which is the government led persecution against LGBT people in Russia.

This isn't just a case of limited civil liberties (such as not having the right to marry) but violent atrocities being perpetrated against LGBT citizens including children.

Either he isn't really educated on the reality or he doesn't care. I suspect even if he really did know how bad it is over there, he'd still go, turn a blind eye and "focus on the sport".

I can't really judge him too harshly mind you. How many of us give much thought to the misery faced by people living in non-western countries?

Posted by: Jack Ford | Aug 26, 2013 10:25:33 AM

4. Way to go boys. Just another reason I am a hockey addict!!!

Posted by: Tom | Aug 26, 2013 11:21:02 AM

5. As a hockey player, can't stand Crosby. He's a giant crybaby and I abhor that the NHL touts him as a "wonder boy". I could just replay him getting a giant fist from Chara.

Still, the NHL has always been pretty gay-friendly compared to other NA sports leagues. The Maple Leafs were the first major NA team to support gay rights.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 26, 2013 11:40:25 AM

6. Well said Sidney. Hopefully, the armchair PC police will find your statement sufficiently supportive.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 26, 2013 12:07:45 PM

7. "their laws and their views, everyone's entitled to those"

Really?

We didn't think so with Germany. Or South Africa. Or the Soviet Union.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 26, 2013 2:56:03 PM

8. Nice to see hockey players have brawn and brains.

Posted by: jarago | Aug 26, 2013 5:11:43 PM