2016 Election | Gay Marriage | John Bolton | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Former UN Ambassador John Bolton: I Support Gay Marriage on a State and Federal Level

Former U.S Ambassador to the United Nations and Republican John Bolton is considering a run for President in 2016, and he's also discussing his support for marriage equality in an interview with the National Review:

BoltonMoving ahead, Bolton is expecting two things: Conservatives who have long cheered him may be turned off by some of his social views, and the national political press will likely be divided between hostility and indifference. “I have the advantage or disadvantage of having never run before, and I speak in longer sentences than you find on Twitter,” he says. “But that’s part of my hypothesis. People are ready for something with more depth.” On domestic issues, he says, he’s a self-proclaimed “libertarian,” which he knows will jar people who think he’s interested in running purely to irk Senator Rand Paul, another likely 2016 candidate and Bolton’s ideological opposite on foreign policy. “My argument is that you can’t protect your liberties at home unless we are protected internationally,” he says. “I think that argument can have currency across the Republican spectrum.”

“I can go to voters and tell them, without reservation, that I’m for limited government, as much as possible, on taxes, on regulations, but on foreign policy, I want to make sure we’re protected,” Bolton explains. “It’d be a mix of being against nanny-ism and libertarianism. On abortion, I’m about the same as Reagan; I’m against it except in the cases of rape, incest, or the life of the mother. On gay marriage, I support it, at both the state level and the federal level. Gay marriage is something I’ve thought about at length as I’ve looked at my future. I concluded, a couple years ago, that I think it should be permissible and treated the same at both levels.”

Bolton has hinted at his support for marriage equality in the past, predicting that it is "going to happen". He also supported the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".

Comments

1. Marriage equality support notwithstanding, this used mouthpiece of the Bush régime makes me want to throw up.

Posted by: jctsf | Aug 23, 2013 11:29:18 AM

2. "Gay Marriage is something I've thought about at length as I've looked at my future".

Translation: As a socially libertarian Republican hopeful presidential candidate in the 2016 election, supporting marriage equality is what I need to do to be a more viable candidate.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Aug 23, 2013 11:43:34 AM

3. He will never run for the presidency. It never ceases to amaze how gay men will be bitter about someone who is siding with them on gay marriage. God forbid someone support gay marriage AND be strong on national defense.

Posted by: James | Aug 23, 2013 12:08:14 PM

4. there are some we don't need as allies

Bolton is ^ just such a 1

Posted by: Moz's | Aug 23, 2013 12:17:54 PM

5. PS

@ james, there is a huge difference between being strong on defense and lying out right to cause a war that was unnecessary. Iraq never attacked the US on 9/11, it was majority Saudi members of al qaeda trained in afganistan & not 1 Iraqi

Posted by: Moz's | Aug 23, 2013 12:20:32 PM

6. Well, I'm now free to ignore every "John Bolton might run for President" article between now and 2016: the Republicans will never nominate, let alone elect, a candidate who supports marriage equality.

They hate us even more than they love pointless war.

Posted by: tim b | Aug 23, 2013 12:29:21 PM

7. As the right's "reliable lunatic" on foreign policy--someone who can be counted on to say and write the most war-happy arguments--it may very well be that he's a Rand Paul stalking horse. It's more probable given that he's never held elective office, either. How effective he'll be at raising money is another matter.

Posted by: anon | Aug 23, 2013 12:37:11 PM

8. John Bolton is the ultimate CHICKENHAWK. As a young man he did whatever was necessary to avoid service in the Vietnam War. As an older man he is the ultimate INTERVENTIONIST. Like Cheney and most of the Neocons, as old men, out of harms way, they think military intervention/war is the solution to most international problems.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 23, 2013 1:08:53 PM

9. he's a drunk.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Aug 23, 2013 1:24:05 PM

10. I can't get over the fact he looks like a walrus.

Posted by: kennedy | Aug 23, 2013 1:26:19 PM

11. He's a fascistic clown. I don't think the Rep party would support his lunacy. If they do, I expect Steve King or Louie Gomert to get the nom before he does.

Posted by: Princely | Aug 23, 2013 2:21:03 PM

12. Goodness, John Bolton said something I don't find repellent and may actually agree with; I may need to have a little lie down for a while...

Posted by: mundus | Aug 23, 2013 3:16:24 PM

13. Bolton is another embarrassing leftover from the Bush Outrages, we're better off without his "support" for marriage equality or anything else.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Aug 23, 2013 4:44:43 PM

14. Well, gosh, I'm glad he supports us now that it can help his career...

Posted by: BobN | Aug 23, 2013 7:59:39 PM

15. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Still doesn't me we should rely on it for anything.

Posted by: J Ascher | Aug 23, 2013 9:53:43 PM

16. No way should gay marriage be legalized. Just think about having to explain to your kids when you see gay couples fondling in public.

Posted by: Bash gay marriage | Aug 24, 2013 6:34:07 AM