News | Television

Actress Laura Prepon: 'I’ve Never Played A Lesbian Before And I Think It’s Awesome'

Laura
If you haven't seen Netflix's Orange is the New Black, you're missing out on a terrifically entertaining and well-written show which features several well-crafted LGBT characters.

Laura Prepon had originally auditioned for the lead role in the show but was eventually cast as lesbian drug trafficker Alex Vaus. Canada.com interviewed Prepon about how excited she is to portray a lesbian on television as well as her fanbase in the LGBT community. Read a segment of the interview below:

Do you think there’s still a stigma to playing a lesbian on television?

"...there are a lot of lesbians on this show. Besides the L Word there aren’t lesbians portrayed like this on television. For me, I’ve never played a lesbian before and I think it’s awesome. As a learning experience playing this love for someone on camera and having it be a women was very interesting because I’m straight and I’ve only done it with men on camera.

There is a big gay and lesbian community out there and it’s good to have more relationships on television that they can relate to and I’m glad we could be a part of that.

Have you gotten any fan letters from that community?

Dude, lesbians love me. I’m tall, I have a deep voice, I’m like, ‘Hello, catnip!’ Now that this show’s out I’m curious what happens from here because whenever I go out lesbians try to, y’know, ‘turn me.’

Turn you?

One of my really good friends in L.A. manages one of the biggest gay bars in L.A. and I’m usually there with all of my girls and immediately everyone thinks we’re lesbians because we don’t act like normal girls do — meaning that I grew up with guys and the reason I hang out with these girls is because they’re not girly girls. We go out with no make-up and our hair in a pony-tail just rocking it out like ‘Who cares?’ So when I’m hanging out at this place there’s been a couple of instances where I’ve had to say to girls ‘You’re awesome, but I’m straight.’ And they never believe me! But whatever, we’re all just looking for love so who cares?

Read the entire interview here.

There have been conflicting reports this week about Prepon leaving the show. The official word from Netflix is that those rumors are "not accurate."

Comments

1. She is a stunning woman. She has a presence to her. I really like the show too. I think I'm three episodes in and hooked.

Posted by: daws | Aug 17, 2013 7:58:52 PM

2. I've never seen the show but its been publisized so much on every gay blog there is.

Posted by: Adam | Aug 17, 2013 8:44:27 PM

3. Laura Prepon sounds like one of these try-hards who attempts to sound cool but comes off sounding silly and stereotypcal. Pony tails? No make-up? Puh-lease, can someone tell these hack celebrities to go away?.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 17, 2013 8:59:08 PM

4. she has very intense looks quite beautiful. I was amazed at her with the dark hair.

Posted by: caperboi | Aug 17, 2013 9:03:44 PM

5. No she really IS cool. Apparently you're not familiar with "That 70's Show"

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 17, 2013 9:31:18 PM

6. Scientologist...

Posted by: Marco | Aug 17, 2013 10:00:13 PM

7. She may be a Scientologist, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating her acting in Orange is the New Black. She is awesome in this role and I really hope there is no truth to the rumors that she is departing the show. Let's hope Netflix isn't doing damage control for Season 2 and that she really is staying on as Alex. She would be crazy to leave that role, as it finally has people talking about her again. Her last show with Chelsea Handler was AWFUL!

Posted by: AriesMatt | Aug 17, 2013 10:44:50 PM

8. I haven't seen this show and maybe I'm coming from a bad headspace right now, but I'm getting tired and frustrated with straight actors presented to us, showing support for us, as if we're charity cases. I don't need any more actors telling me how some gays are their best friends and how much they love exploring their gay role as if this were 1985. And how they're straight so don't get the wrong idea. Why aren't we more integrated by now? I don't want to be treated as a special class of people who's in constant need of approval and support by well-meaning straight actors.

I did appreciate Nick Symmonds remarks at the Moscow World Championships giving us support in a context that sounded authentic and non-forced. I like our straight allies, but it's frustrating that we still NEED straight allies in 2013 -- and that we're still looking for validation. And we ARE. Otherwise we wouldn't get all these straight allies served up to us on a daily basis on gay websites.

Posted by: will | Aug 17, 2013 11:20:48 PM

9. "TURN YOU?" Wow that takes me back to the old conversion theories of the right wing. She was married to one of The Brady Bunch. She's had good sex. Let's leave this lesbian stint on her resume, she's destined for far better.

Posted by: Scott | Aug 18, 2013 12:17:06 AM

10. This show is absolutely amazing! My only regret was blowing through it so quickly and having to wait until next year for more episodes. If you haven't watched it yet you really need to.. dull pilot but it's amazing from ep 2 and on.

Posted by: JMC | Aug 18, 2013 12:27:01 AM

11. Scientologists make me cry.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Aug 18, 2013 6:49:36 AM

12. No, Laura, she wasn't trying to "turn you".

She was hitting on you and was mistaken about your sexuality. People don't try to "turn" other people, they simply mistakenly believe they are gay. Once they're told the object of their desires is straight, it's over. End of subject.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 18, 2013 8:15:10 AM

13. As a Scientologist, she is obligated to turn away any gay or lesbian as they are considered low tone (1.1) on the ethics scale.

By supporting her you may as well support Prop 8.

Posted by: Lou | Aug 18, 2013 5:25:27 PM

14. I'm a little surprised that there is any hostility toward this woman from anyone on Towleroad. Some people seem determined to see the negative in everything. This woman is clearly supportive of the LGBT community - and is not just mouthing politically correct slogans. Even if she may have some stereotypical ideas about gay people, how many straight actresses would consider it "awesome" to play a lesbian character? Most would probably say they have no objection to doing it but avoid taking the part due to homophobia - either in themselves or in others whose reactions they fear. Bravo to Laura!

Posted by: Mary | Aug 18, 2013 8:17:41 PM

15. All these bitter queens here! "Turn her" is not meant maliciously. You would be lying if you or your friends haven't said that in jest about someone (i.e., a celebrity). It was a joke.

For me, the first three episodes were hard to get into it, but once they started showing the back stories of the other women, it picked up steam and grew in heart. Just finished this season last night and can't wait for the Season 2.

Laura (who I liked in That 70's Show) is just so great in OITNB. One of many actresses in this show that are outstanding.

Posted by: Chuy | Aug 19, 2013 9:22:36 PM