"Ex-Gays" | I'm Not Gay | Pat Robertson | Video

Meet An 'Ex-Gay' Who Says She Made A 'Covenant With Satan': VIDEO

Debra Gauthier

With bans on "ex-gay" therapy for minors making their way into the law books in California and New Jersey, the topic of "ex-gays" and "conversion therapy" is being revisited with renewed vigor. While bodies such as the American Psychiatric Association and the American Psychological Association dismiss conversion therapy as ineffective and potentially harmful, advocates use testimonies from "ex-gays" such as Debra Gauthier. Gauthier's story was recently featured on an episode of Pat Robertson's show The 700 Club, and perpetuates many of the myths surrounding the origins of homosexuality.

"I had bought the lie,” she said in an on-camera interview. “There was a lot of inner turmoil going on, there was something about that that is not right, it’s not natural." According to the video, it was Gauthier's abusive father who supposedly made her a lesbian. It claims that her abusive relationship with her father caused her to become "afraid of men," therefore causing her to turn to women for the love and support that she needed. After living in a lesbian relationship for many years, Gauthier then turned to Christianity to help her cope with a demotion at her job as a Las Vegas police officer. It was then that she realized that she had a "choice" about her sexuality.

"And I read that homosexuality is sin, it's not God's design, and I was in shock. I'm like, 'what? You mean I'm not born this way? I had bought the lie.  I bought that I was born that way. It was some genetic thing and this was just how I was created."

Bright Lights Dark PlacesGauthier makes no mention of Satan in her video interview. Instead, the outrageous claim comes from her book, Bright Lights, Dark Places. The book's cover claims to tell the story of the pioneer first woman on the Las Vegas police force. Unfortunately, it includes a bit of radical ex-gay propaganda. Right Wing Watch lifted an excerpt from the book, in which she claims that she made a "covenant with Satan" during a same-sex wedding ceremony, and that she dated her lesbian partner, a "practicing witch", until Gauthoer "saw the demon in her".

"Our ceremony was led by a gay male priest and a women priestess. We lit candles and performed cultic rituals, and I sensed the darkness around us. I had no idea that I had just entered into covenant with Satan and opened my life up to the demonic realm…

"In my pursuit of spirituality, I became more aware of the demonic realm and began to struggle with fear. I found myself blinded by my own darkness as I opened my soul up more and more to Satan, who masquerades as an angel of light.

"As I got deeper into spiritualism, a gift of discerning spirits was activated in me. At the time I was dating Diana, a practicing witch whom I had met at a New Age conference. Diana introduced me to demon worship and a new level of darkness. One evening as she began to seduce me, my spiritual eyes were opened, and I saw the demon in her sneering back at me. It horrified me! I jumped up, quickly got dressed, and ran out of there. This was the beginning of the blinders coming off my eyes and the exposure of the present dark kingdom of which I was very much a part."

Gauthier also claims in her book that she was aided in her ex-gay revelation by Exodus International, the now-defunct ex-gay ministry group that subsequently closed its doors and apologized to the LGBT community.

Watch Gauthier's interview with The 700 Club AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. the crazy burns bright in this one

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Aug 26, 2013 6:14:23 PM

2. Too bad there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that this wackadoo will be ex-crazy. It sounds like she has a wild imagination. Probably a byproduct of her schizophrenia.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 26, 2013 6:23:19 PM

3. This woman needs psychiatric help -- immediately.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Aug 26, 2013 6:29:56 PM

4. Religion poisons everything

But remember that fundamentalist Christians frequently make stuff up, so they can have a more outrageous "testimony" than the person before them. People with normal problems and lives just aren't well regarded.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 26, 2013 6:30:18 PM

5. Sounds like Diana dodged a bullet, this kind of crazy doesn't get better.

Posted by: Kenneth | Aug 26, 2013 6:30:30 PM

6. This sounds like one of those "Chaps" Klingenschmit exorcism stories ...

Posted by: AdamTh | Aug 26, 2013 6:35:02 PM

7. Nice to see an abusive father making demands on her can be replaced by abusive strangers demanding the same thing.

How sad for her that she saw abuse as an impulse for same-gender attraction...and what's worse...she continues to see abuse as the only means in which she can live her life.

Posted by: Jay Dwyer | Aug 26, 2013 6:40:00 PM

8. I didn't see any video at all after the jump.

Here is a link that seems to be correct:

Posted by: Randy | Aug 26, 2013 6:41:23 PM

9. Feel free to drop her a note----https://www.facebook.com/debra.gauthier1

Posted by: Hdtex | Aug 26, 2013 6:44:26 PM

10. Are there any "ex-gays" who managed to turn heterosexual without the "aid" of religion?

Posted by: Bob Hope | Aug 26, 2013 6:46:30 PM

11. I've never understood that argument. I have nothing at all against women, and I'm happy to keep it that way.

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Aug 26, 2013 7:09:46 PM

12. Cuckoo! Cuckoo!

Somebody needs to put some anti-psychotics in her communion cup.

Posted by: Caliban | Aug 26, 2013 7:11:13 PM

13. "According to the video, it was Gauthier's abusive father who supposedly made her a lesbian. It claims that her abusive relationship with her father caused her to become "afraid of men," therefore causing her to turn to women for the love and support that she needed. "

That actually sounds legit.

Posted by: Zeta | Aug 26, 2013 7:13:48 PM

14. and even though Christina O'Donnell is not a lesbian or ex-gay, this woman sure has the crazy feel and sound of Mr. O'Donnell in talking about witchcraft.....this woman's story is so fake and fictional.....she needs serious psychiatric help

Posted by: Bernie | Aug 26, 2013 7:19:22 PM

15. @Bob Hope - I know that there are a very tiny number of hard-core Freudians who will say that homosexuality is a mental disorder that can be "cured" through psychotherapy, but I've never seen any organization along the lines of a secular Exodus International.

Most ex-gay ministries will try to front as secular groups in order to defraud the government, but they will still hold that religious belief and adherence to religious dogma are necessary for any kind of conversion to occur. They frequently do this by disguising themselves as a 12 step program with belief in a "higher power."

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Aug 26, 2013 7:19:29 PM

16. The amount of liars in the ranks of the religious is nearing 100%.

Posted by: Michael Barber | Aug 26, 2013 7:23:13 PM

17. I feel really sad for her.

Posted by: JMC | Aug 26, 2013 7:41:12 PM

18. I've noticed two recurring themes in "ex-gay" testimonies:
    1)They all had severely screwed-up lives.
    2)They now have something to sell.

Posted by: Sammy | Aug 26, 2013 7:47:30 PM

19. "Are there any "ex-gays" who managed to turn heterosexual without the "aid" of religion?"

Seriously!

She was "turned" lesbian by an abusive father...then comes to the realization she wasn't born that way...GEEZ! She just said she was turned by her abusive father...which one is it, Debra McDoofus? You were either born gay or were born heterosexual and your father "turned" you gay, in which case you aren't 'ex-gay', you were ex-straight. Gurrrrl, you do, indeed, have issues--among them a lack of reasoning.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Aug 26, 2013 7:49:28 PM

20. She's just another media ho....

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Aug 26, 2013 8:23:55 PM

21. It always fascinates me when broken people like this cling to superstations and fairy tales. This woman lives in a world of demons and deities and who knows what else to explain hers and everyone else’s existence. In some netherworld there is this presumably red guy with horns fighting the blond harp playing sub deity over who this woman sleeps with. Oh and then she gives her had earned cash to an old snake oil salesmen with a TV show. Does she ever sit back and look at herself?

Posted by: Rich | Aug 26, 2013 9:02:57 PM

22. How does one make a covenant with a non existent entity unless you are a psycho?

Posted by: andrew | Aug 26, 2013 9:17:56 PM

23. @Woodroad34: she was confused. she wasn't born gay, but she nurtured gay tendencies and found support and love and respect in the arms of women. kind of like young men who aren't gay, but nurture gay tendencies because they found support in the arms of men.

unfortunately, sometimes that support isn't really love, it's destructive and negative (see young men who are 'gay' because of really confused experiences with older men who took advantage of them).

she is right, she was never gay. there's nothing wrong with that. but her religion makes her feel that the love and support she did experience was evil and unnatural, and there is something wrong with that. i'd be surprised if she has normal, positive relationships with anyone after the mental wringer she's been through her whole life.

Posted by: Zeta | Aug 26, 2013 10:15:48 PM

24. Dumb and Dumberer. Why is T'road posting this trash? Patsy Robertson is a cadaverous conman whose shtick only works on guilt-ridden widows, and Gautier needs a new lobotomy, the first one didn't work. I wouldn't ever watch Robertson's nonsense, why would I want to read about it here?

Posted by: Onnyjay | Aug 26, 2013 10:16:17 PM

25. @Andrew, the same way atheists push themselves to something beyond eat, crap, sleep, screw die. Her's just has a name that is not her own. It's too bad that her 'higher power' is negative. They aren't all negative.

Posted by: Zeta | Aug 26, 2013 10:17:27 PM