News: Costa Rica, Scott Walker, Ryan Seacrest, The GOP

RoadDavid Mixner: Should we boycott the Sochi Olympics?

RoadWSJ: How the SCOTUS DOMA ruling is reshaping marriage laws nationwide.

RoadObama photo used as target in dart game at Otsego County Fair in Morris, New York.

AykenRoadClay Aiken has an amazing technicolor dreamcoat and a new 'do.

RoadBradley Manning's mother Susan: "Never give up hope, son. I know I may never see you again but I know you will be free one day. I pray it is soon. I love you, Bradley and I always will."

RoadPaul Krugman: "It's curious how comforting [Republicans] find the idea of denying health care to millions of Americans."

RoadWhy Russia turned against the gays: "On the one hand, there’s its physical survival — Russia’s birthrate plummeted in the wake of the Soviet collapse and encouraging baby-making (through government grants as well as rhetoric) has been one of Vladimir Putin’s hallmarks. And then there’s its moral survival; if Russia is to survive as Russia it needs to reject the corrupting influences of the West."

RoadZach Stafford on the suicide of AJ Betts.

RoadWill Ryan Gosling and Joe Manganiello be battling each other in Batman vs Superman?

RoadHeatherette founder Richie Rich busted for evading $1,800 bill at Westin Hotel in Times Square.

RoadMiley Cyrus in Big Sean's music video "Fire".

RoadVIDEO: A Mariah Carey bloopers real.

ChoRoadBishop Harry Jackson: Margaret Cho faking her sexuality for gay rights.

RoadRaven-Symone confirms she came out in tweet: "I am very happy that gay marriage is opening up around the country and is being accepted. I was excited to hear today that more states legalized gay marriage. I, however am not currently getting married, but it is great to know I can now, should I wish to..."

RoadNPR: Uganda's "discreet" Gay Pride celebrations.

RoadShifts in attitude kill off suburban gay bars: "Those were our ghetto bars," Mark Segal, publisher of the Philadelphia Gay News, said of some of the windowless places in the suburbs. "We were stuck there. Today we're not stuck. Our dollars are welcomed everywhere." He added: "There was a time when a gay couple could only go to the gay bars in New Hope. Can you imagine today a couple not feeling comfortable going to almost any bar there?"

RoadMale model fix: Anthony Gomez.

MonkeyRoadCosta Rica to zoos: free all the animals!

RoadWisconsin Governor Scott Walker on marriage equality in his state: "To change anything in the constitution ... it requires two consecutive sessions of the legislature, and ultimately, a vote of the people,” Walker said, noting that Wisconsin voters adopted a gay marriage ban to the state constitution in a 2006 vote. “I just don't see that as being anything that's going to be addressed anytime soon."

RoadDailyKOS: Republicans are destroying civilization.

RoadKylie Minogue to join The Voice UK?

RoadRyan Seacrest to host new game show. "The network said Monday it is constructing a giant hourglass-shaped structure in Manhattan for the game, which will involve contestants testing their trivia skills over a million seconds, or 11 days, 13 hours, 46 minutes and 40 seconds."

RoadOn the closing of NYC's Splash Bar: "When Splash does close in August, I won't necessarily miss it (though I did have some remarkable times there). What I will miss is the New York City that it was a part of, a place where the fringes of our culture could come together and celebrate. Maybe gay men are no longer fringe, or maybe the fringe is simply not able to afford Manhattan. Either way, I hope that when they vote in the upcoming mayoral election, all the gay men complaining about another small gay business shutting its doors consider what they want Manhattan to look like and who can come here and leave their mark, start a life, dance, get drunk and still be able to afford breakfast the next morning."

Comments

1. You should realize that the Cologne Gay Games were in 2010. They are to be in Cleveland next year.

Posted by: Kyle | Aug 5, 2013 2:43:32 PM

2. The American people do not vote to ratify an Amendment to the Constitution. Not sure where the Governor is getting his information.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 5, 2013 2:46:39 PM

3. We've argued many times on this blog about the Gay vs Transgender issue--about how in some cases it's not clear cut who is what. Some Gay folks definitely don't follow the gender role norms that the society expects. Will y'all please take a look at Clay Aiken.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 5, 2013 2:53:10 PM

4. Suburban gay bars are closing not because of shift in an attitudes primarily, but because the internet has replaced them.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Aug 5, 2013 3:03:41 PM

5. yes, francis, lately thanks to hookup apps primarily...

Posted by: t | Aug 5, 2013 3:11:31 PM

6. @ Jack M - I believe the Governor of Wisconsin is talking about how his State's Constitution is amended. I'm guessing the process varies state-to-state.

Posted by: Rexford | Aug 5, 2013 3:24:29 PM

7. on costa rica and zoos....India just went a step foreword as well outlawing all dolphin killing and captivity making marine shows housing dolphins illegal by granting dolphins "personism" rights due to their intelligence 3rd place and passing the mirror test for sentience / self awareness after (1Humans, 2 orangutans, 3 Dolphins, 4 chimps in measly fourth place)

Posted by: Moz's | Aug 5, 2013 3:36:50 PM

8. Clay Aiken looks like Mama Cass after a radical diet.

Posted by: Caliban | Aug 5, 2013 3:46:44 PM

9. Has Tiny Tim been resurrected into Clay Aiken?

Posted by: woodroad34d | Aug 5, 2013 4:00:09 PM

10. Holy crap Clay, NOT a good look. I always got the impression that almost-jesus was hot.

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 5, 2013 4:23:43 PM

11. World Outgames just started in Antwerp.

Posted by: Jay | Aug 5, 2013 4:25:08 PM

12. World Outgames just started in Antwerp.

Posted by: Jay | Aug 5, 2013 4:25:10 PM

13. Wow. Richie Rich is a real class act--skipping out on a hotel bill. But Im sure he needed the money for his pals T&G.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Aug 5, 2013 4:29:44 PM

14. "Suburban gay bars are closing not because of shift in an attitudes primarily, but because the internet has replaced them"

Can't say I understand that. I guess it just proves that all most gay men are interested in is impersonal sex.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 5, 2013 4:49:52 PM

15. @ rick and others

is it that or maybe because other non sexual venues have come about for gay guys to meet each other....everything from biking, hiking groups, sports groups, book clubs, cooking clubs, etc etc

maybe the trend is more due to many feeling that bars are ALL about sex and less actual real socializing and with our expanding acceptance many more opportunities exist to socialize with gay men outside of too noisy, too smokey, pick up joints

Posted by: Moz's | Aug 5, 2013 5:06:39 PM

16. oh, and rent for bars is way more expensive than it used to be so return on investment just isnt there anymore

Posted by: Moz's | Aug 5, 2013 5:08:02 PM

17. "with our expanding acceptance many more opportunities exist to socialize with gay men outside of too noisy, too smokey, pick up joints"

You cannot kiss another guy in a non-gay establishment; you cannot put your arm around another guy in a non-gay establishment; you cannot dance with another guy in a non-gay establishment; you cannot hit on a guy you think is attractive in a non-gay establishment or ask him for a "date"....in short, you cannot really be yourself as a gay man in a non-gay establishment

I am all for integrating into the larger society, but let's be real: even the most tolerant straights are not THAT comfortable with overt "gayness" yet....and probably never will be.

So I don't believe that gays are just going to non-gay clubs now, nor do I believe that young people, in particular, suddenly lost their interest in partying and socializing with others like themselves.

It is all pretty baffling to me, unless my original suggested explanation holds. But I would be interested in hearing the opinions of others......

Posted by: Rick | Aug 5, 2013 5:25:51 PM

18. The only straight people who have a problem with "overt gayness" are the same as the insecure homosexual men who comment online about "femmes" - you hate in others what you deny in yourself.

I'm all about the PDA. My parents, when i brought my first BF to my highschool graduation, had us kiss when taking a photo.

there is no such thing as "overt gayness", there's being a closet case and there's being Out. duh.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 5, 2013 5:34:20 PM

19. Russia's population was collapsing long before the end of the Soviet Union, it was just a big state secret.

Not sure why they picked on New Hope, PA, which went from three gay bars to one in twenty years. Simply put, you make more money owning a straight bar than a gay one. This is true everywhere. There's hardly any gay nightlife in all of Philadelphia either.

Posted by: anon | Aug 5, 2013 5:46:31 PM

20. Not that anyone should ever waste any time responding to Kiwi, but someone who knows him please take him to a sports bar anywhere in Manhattan (let alone in Kansas City or Memphis) and have him start making out with another guy right in the middle of the floor....please do that, because I and anyone else who lives in the real world rather than in a bubble-world created by his Mommy and Daddy for him knows exactly what will happen to him if he does (and I would love to be there to observe it)........

Posted by: Rick | Aug 5, 2013 5:50:31 PM

21. "Simply put, you make more money owning a straight bar than a gay one. This is true everywhere"

The point is, that did not used to be the case. When I was in college back in the late 70's, 2 of the 3 bars in New Orleans that sold the most booze and made the most money were gay bars. The two biggest discos in Chicago at that time were both gay discos. When I was in grad school in Philadelphia in the mid 80's, there was lots of gay nightlife and bars and discos were packed.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 5, 2013 5:57:24 PM

22. gov. walker, please read article vi of the u.s. constitution. when (not if) scotus eventually rules your state's constitutional ban on marriage equality as a violation of the 14th amendment, you and your ilk are screwed.

Posted by: jed | Aug 5, 2013 6:48:49 PM

23. "We've argued many times on this blog about the Gay vs Transgender issue--about how in some cases it's not clear cut who is what. Some Gay folks definitely don't follow the gender role norms that the society expects. Will y'all please take a look at Clay Aiken."

Derrick, you're almost a caricature of yourself--an insecure Black gay dude. ONe doesn't even have to know it to know it, you're reactions are so stereotypical.

Now will you please tell us why it's so gdm important for "who is what" to be clear cut"" or why anybody-ANYBODY should feel compelled to "follow gender role norms that the society expects"? Child, when are you going to appropriate your own life? If your reasoning were followed, gay people could never come out, mixed race couples could never get married (and certainly not have children) and women could never have been anything but home-maker housewives. Not that theres' anything wrong with those occupations--probably the most demanding in the world - esp if children are in the picture. But dude, GET A GRIP.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Aug 5, 2013 7:21:34 PM

24. I generally love musicals but I specifically despise "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat". The story and source material are utterly inane. The source material (i.e., the Bible) has done and continues to do great harm.

Does Clay Aiken really want to be implicitly endorsing the Old Testament? Do you think of yourself as an abomination, Clay?

(I was glad to see the recent New York revivals of "Jesus Christ Superstar" and "Godspell" close quickly for similar reasons.)

Posted by: leaves | Aug 5, 2013 7:22:35 PM

25. Rick, I don't know where you live, but I DO know you need to get out more--perhaps out of the town, community, or small mind you live in. The world is much bigger than you seem to have begun to imagine. And the minds and sensibilities of straight people where I live seem barely to take any notice of publicly expressed affection of same-sex couples.

I think most straight people just don't give a hoot. It's still novel in many or most places in the US, but when one hears of ugly scenes acted out against gay people, my money says the parties doing the acting out are closeted self-haters--as your posts often indicate that you are.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Aug 5, 2013 7:26:47 PM