I'm Gay | Ross Mathews

BigGayDeal.com

Ross Matthews Dishes on His Future Plans to Finally 'Come Out' as Gay: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2013-08-28 at 11.04.14 AM

To celebrate the debut of his upcoming new show "Hello Ross!" Ross Matthews stopped by HuffPost Live's studio yesterday to discuss, among other things, his journey from celebrity super fan to talk show host and how he's never had to officially 'come out' along the way.

"I'm still going to one of these days," says Ross. "I'm officially going to 'come out' on like the cover of People. But instead of "Yep!" it's going to [say] "Duh!"'

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

"Hello Ross!" premieres Friday, September 6 on E!

Comments

1. Love Love Love Ross..

Posted by: mickey | Aug 28, 2013 1:20:21 PM

2. Ross is going to come out?

As gay?

Shocking.

Posted by: Esther Blodgett | Aug 28, 2013 1:22:12 PM

3. Coming out is not a "talent"....

Posted by: Ankerich | Aug 28, 2013 1:52:57 PM

4. I think back to the gay masters of TV like Jim Nabors, Alan Sues, Charles Nelson Reilly, Paul Lynde, Richard Simmons, Jay Manuel, J. Alexander, Carson Kressley and the New Zoo Revue's Henrietta Hippo. They were fierce.

Ross Mathews, if you are reading this, study these guys. Look at their tapes/dvds/youtube videos and really, really study them. They had a certain... je ne sais quoi?

Posted by: Hmmm | Aug 28, 2013 2:23:24 PM

5. Ross,
    Making a joke of it is not funny, it is tacky and insensitive. It diminishes you and it diminishes everyone who has come before you. On this day of all days you should be aware of the importance of being of who you are and being proud of it. You have platform that you reach out to people from, yet you can't be honest. If you are going to keep being such an ass, don't come out, ever.

Rees Cramer.....20 years of being a proud gay man.

Posted by: Rees Cramer | Aug 28, 2013 2:29:27 PM

6. This guy annoys the heck outta me, but I can't deny that's incredibly smart and probably knows who the hell Paul Lynde, Richard Simmons and Jim Nabors is.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 28, 2013 2:34:40 PM

7. Who?

Posted by: Raybob | Aug 28, 2013 2:39:55 PM

8. What shocked me was that he started on Jay Leno's show back in 2001. ...It's been 12-years?

Without really thinking about it, I would have said it had been only 7 or 8-years.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Aug 28, 2013 2:47:47 PM

9. Keep foolin' them Ross. Coming-out will just spoil the fun.

Posted by: Joseph | Aug 28, 2013 3:11:36 PM

10. Whew....Rees....go take a valium.

I think the joke here is that he can't really ever "come out"....because he was never in.

Posted by: Frank | Aug 28, 2013 3:39:02 PM

11. He started as an intern on the Jay Leno show doing skits about the Olympics (go figure). Some of the skits were pretty good. He occasionally appeared on the stage w/ Jay for a "report". After that he basically disappeared from mainstream view.

Posted by: anon | Aug 28, 2013 4:07:58 PM

12. I forgot to add Rip Taylor, Dom Deluise and Leslie Jordan to my above comment!!!

Posted by: Hmmm | Aug 28, 2013 4:29:53 PM

13. Ross Matthews doesn't need to "come out", he needs to BE HONEST.

The moment you "come out" is the moment you stop lying to yourself and the rest of the world.

No one should ever be in the closet. If one is unsure of who they are, they'll find out sooner if they're honest.

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvations.com | Aug 28, 2013 4:33:31 PM

14. Obviously a few folks here totally missed the point on this. I hope, for their sake, that those people are pretty . . .

Posted by: phredd! | Aug 28, 2013 4:47:42 PM

15. It's silly sarcastic comedy...there really is no point...just laugh along. Ross is a genius. I have followed him online as a "blog buddy" for MANY YEARS and he is VERY SMART and TALENTED. He has built a wonderful career for himself and has a great life with 2 beautiful houses. 1 in LA and 1 Palm Springs. He is very honest about himself and his life and has built his career around being HIMSELF.

Posted by: Tawdry | Aug 28, 2013 5:13:17 PM

16. @Hmmm: A handful of the people you mentioned are openly gay. Several who are/were gay (Jim Nabors, Alan Sues, etc.) were never out when they had a career. Richard Simmons, Henrietta Hippo (and the actress who played her), Dom Deluise and Rip Taylor have never claimed to be gay. The latter three are/were opposite-sex married for life, and Rip Taylor told someone that assumption was wrong and compared it to "if I called you an open heroin user."
    My list of the gay masters of TV would be led by Ellen, followed by others who are indisputably gay like Jim Parsons, Lily Tomlin and Neil Patrick Harris. Having a rumor passed around about a celebrity like Rip Taylor or John Travolta doesn't make him/her a "gay master of TV."

Posted by: GregV | Aug 28, 2013 6:28:33 PM

17. I've loved Ross for years and have followed his career since Leno. He tends to be a little "queeny" at times but very genuine and was undoubtedly the only funny thing about the Tonight Show w/ Jay Leno. He also had the good fortune of having an ally in Chelsea Handler. And while her humor isn't all that great anymore, she is steadfastly loyal to friends and often gives them a boost in the industry (hence Ross' new show). If your not familiar w/ Ross, check out his "Hello Ross" blog. I know he will win you over. And to all his blog buddies, all I have to say is he better have Nikki Boyer co-host on occasion!

Posted by: BuckeyeWxGuy | Aug 28, 2013 6:57:49 PM

18. Ross knows that being in the closet was never an option for him. He seems to know who he is and like who he is. He is a very entertaining guy. Loved him saying that on his official "coming out" he is not going to say "Yep" but "duh".

Posted by: andrew | Aug 28, 2013 7:45:36 PM

19. Am I the only one who thinks Ross is taking a shot at Wentworth Miller?

Posted by: Hagatha | Aug 28, 2013 8:24:46 PM

20. This delusional queen is a Homophobe's Delight!!

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Aug 28, 2013 8:48:34 PM

21. @GREGV,

First, I put in Henrietta Hippo as a joke. I didn't even know it was a woman who played her until you pointed it out.

Second, I didn't mean to imply that these celebrities are gay.

Third, what I'm trying to say is that every one of them adopted a GAY PERSONA, which they managed to earn a good living by on TV and/or in film.

All the names I mentioned played the excitable, theatrical characters and made it into an art form. Ross should study that.

As Ross ages (he's 34), his routine of "I'm gay, I'm making gay jokes, isn't that funny?" is going to get tiring and there are younger, hungrier gay comedians who are ready to step into his spotlight. The whole point I'm trying to make is that Ross's shtick has been done before by the names I mentioned and they did it a lot better than he's been doing it up until now.

Let's not forget what happened when Chelsea Handler didn't remember how Joan Rivers broke down barriers (Google that if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Posted by: Hmmm | Aug 28, 2013 10:24:55 PM