Drag Queens | Music | Music Video | News | Richard Socarides

Richard Simmons' 'Hair Do' Video Will Knock Your Wig Off: VIDEO

3_simmons

Richard Simmons dropped the full video for his new track "Hair Do" today which Dlisted describes as " a gay dream on cotton candy-flavored Ecstasy."

Who else wants to see this at the VMAs, AFTER THE JUMP...

4_simmons

Comments

1. not even a minute & I had enough...

Posted by: pass | Aug 23, 2013 12:15:48 PM

2. OMG - he looks a lot like Tracey Ullman!

Posted by: TJ | Aug 23, 2013 12:19:51 PM

3. I think Richard Simmons is a National Treasure.

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 23, 2013 12:32:27 PM

4. That made me smile. Bless his heart.

Posted by: zeddy | Aug 23, 2013 12:34:33 PM

5. "Choose a do that'll get you in trouble"? I laughed so hard I dislocated my hip and broke a window. Very Divine-esque...and awful.

Posted by: Geoff | Aug 23, 2013 12:35:15 PM

6. That was fun to watch. Go Richard!

Posted by: andrew | Aug 23, 2013 12:45:12 PM

7. This is absolute heaven! Thank you Richard. You just made my day!

Posted by: Marc | Aug 23, 2013 12:51:10 PM

8. Richard Simmons is a national treasure. God, it's like Mr. Rodgers and a supernova had a baby who loves jazz. I love that he is the same as he has always been and that he is entirely immune to shame!

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 23, 2013 12:52:54 PM

9. wow. what was that? besides showing anyone can "sing"? bizarre. 2 of those drag queens were on Drag Race, Pandorra Boxx and ??? i will concur Richard has the money to work on the frizz fro.

Posted by: TimD | Aug 23, 2013 12:53:03 PM

10. He lives right around the corner from me. Although I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him, he never fails to smile and wave if he happens to drive by while I'm walking the dog--fairly unheard of behavior here in anti-social Los Angeles. I think he must be an extremely nice person. I do wish he'd come out of the closet. He'd be a fantastic public face for the community. LOVE him!

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 23, 2013 1:15:32 PM

11. I gotta hand it to him...he's still around.

Posted by: Don Mendenhall | Aug 23, 2013 1:20:03 PM

12. There's a whole world of hair don't in that video.

Posted by: Vint | Aug 23, 2013 1:47:54 PM

13. @PASS - I got to 1:17 . . .

Posted by: Alan | Aug 23, 2013 2:01:06 PM

14. Did he ever come out?

Posted by: Soren456 | Aug 23, 2013 2:47:47 PM

15. This guy used to make me cringe (when I was closeted; so MY issue); but now I thank God for someone who has remained himself, unashamedly and proud. I pray Richard stays with us for a long, long, long time! Thank you, Richard. You no longer make me cringe; you make me smile!!!

Posted by: Darren in atl | Aug 23, 2013 2:55:05 PM

16. Has he come out? Does he really need to? Quite obvious that he is gay. Kind of like Liberace in that respect. I'm amazed that he has managed to have such a successful career and is still in the spotlight decades later.

While fun, this song is a campy throwback to early 80's novelty sounds. Not for me, but Richard, you go gurl!

Posted by: AriesMatt | Aug 23, 2013 3:09:59 PM

17. Well, you can't tell who is "singing" and the chorus is repeated monotonously and isn't very good (it would be passable as a verse but not as the chorus). It wouldn't be that hard to come up with a punny, infectious chorus working with the themes in this song, not sure why they seemed to have gone with their first draft of an idea. I know it's just a harmless novelty song but if you are going to put the time and money (and your name) into something why not make it "good"? And if he isn't out by now this video is his official announcement.

Posted by: Macguffin54 | Aug 23, 2013 3:48:49 PM

18. Could this quote possibly be written by a gay man? I can't relate.

"a gay dream on cotton candy-flavored Ecstasy"

This would be more like my worst gay stereotype nightmare. Ectasy? I don't think so.

Besides Simmons were there even any gays in the video? Oh wait there is one guy right behind Simmons in the main dance sequence.

I dream of dressing in (d)rag and prancing around with a bunch of women. yeah right.

Sorry guys no offence to anyone who loves this admittedly fun (and ridiculous) video

btw isn't the thrill of old white people rapping wearing out?

Posted by: notice | Aug 23, 2013 3:55:47 PM

19. i guess i gotta hand it to him for keeping the same course over the last 40 years... that is a man who knows who he wants to be and doesn't falter in the face of adversity.

Posted by: notice | Aug 23, 2013 3:58:52 PM

20. Sickening. Closet case. Minstrel performer. And never spoke out or donated a dime for any gay rights issue.

How anyone can call this clown a "treasure" or confuse him with a dignified human is beyond me.

Posted by: Tim | Aug 23, 2013 4:54:43 PM

21. "Come Out of the closet?"

Maybe he never thought anyone thought he was in the Closet.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 23, 2013 5:10:14 PM

22. Someone that bright and sunny in the face of adversity has to be crying on the inside. I don't blame Richard for anything, he's lived his life, and tried only to bring joy, happiness and health into the lives of others.

Posted by: Zeta | Aug 23, 2013 8:59:53 PM

23. short,long,straight and curly ...

Posted by: shier | Aug 24, 2013 3:17:23 AM