Gay Marriage | New Mexico | News

BigGayDeal.com

Taos County, New Mexico Will Become 6th to Issue Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples

Taos County, New Mexico will begin issuing marriage licenses at 8 am this morning, County Clerk Ana Martinez told TaosUnfiltered.com, making it the sixth county in the state to do so following Doña Ana, Santa Fe, Bernalillo, San Miguel, and Valencia.

NewmexicoAccording to the Census Bureau, this means that 56.2% of New Mexicans now live in marriage equality counties:

Population of New Mexico: 2,085,538

Marriage counties:

Bernalillo Co.: 673,460
Santa Fe Co.: 146,375
Doña Ana Co.: 214,445
San Miguel Co.: 28,891
Valencia Co.: 76,631
Taos Co.: 32,779 = 1,172,581

TaosUnfiltered reports:

Taos County will become the sixth county in New Mexico to issue same-gender marriage licenses, after 8th Judicial District Judge Jeff McElroy issued a Writ of Mandamus compelling the County Clerk’s Office to issue marriage licenses to same-gender couples who apply.

In a telephone interview, County Clerk Anna Martinez told TaosUnfiltered.com that her office will begin issuing licenses at 8 am Wednesday, August 28.

Comments

1. Congats to them

Posted by: bructer | Aug 28, 2013 8:34:38 AM

2. I guess eventually I'm going to learn all the counties of New Mexico. Just for fun I've been creating a NM marriage map, pinpointing each county as they embrace marriage equality.

Posted by: AdamTh | Aug 28, 2013 10:04:25 AM

3. How many counties are there?

Posted by: AdamTh | Aug 28, 2013 10:05:26 AM

4. I love my state!

Posted by: Sean | Aug 28, 2013 10:23:28 AM

5. It is interesting how this is unfolding county by county in New Mexico. We have not seen this happen before, so it will be fascinating to see how it all plays out. I expect that all of New Mexico counties will be issuing licenses soon. I also doubt the Republicans will be able to stop the trend.
    I am a little pissed that I live in Illinois, which was supposed to be one of the first states to get marriage equality in 2013 and we still don't have it. I've lost count of how many states have preceded Illinois this year. Our legislators need to get this done.

Posted by: RichQ | Aug 28, 2013 10:27:17 AM

6. For ADAMTH:
    There are 33 counties in the State of New Mexico, according to Wikipedia. I wonder how long is it going to take for the other 27 to offer marriage equality as well?

Posted by: dctopman | Aug 28, 2013 12:21:43 PM

7. In other news - Equality New Mexico just reported that a couple was denied a marriage license in Sandoval County (population 131,000), so the couple is taking legal action. The clerk did state that she would issue a license when ordered to do so by a judge.

Posted by: Fox | Aug 28, 2013 5:04:44 PM

8. at one point victories were measured by state now it is county by county . going to make for a fun time with benefits and everything

Posted by: walter | Aug 28, 2013 5:51:17 PM