News

BigGayDeal.com

The Straight Girl's Guide to Gay Boys: VIDEO

Sgg2gb

From the vlogger who brought you 'What Seniors Think About Gay Sex' comes 'The Straight Girl's Guide to Gay Boys' featuring a line-up of popular YouTubers offering their advice to women who want a gay BFF.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Cue Rick (or an alias of Rick) to complain about the homophobia of liberal straight women.

Posted by: MateoM | Aug 8, 2013 12:23:02 PM

2. A bit rude of a video. Why do girls need a shake-down like this? Is it because in general gay guys are uncomfortable actually having a real conversation with girls -- telling them what is and isn't appropriate? Or is it that these vloggers are uncomfortable having personal conversations and the camera allows them to be that brave sassy diva?

Don't quote Mean Girls at me I'll stab myself, if you're sad come over to eat ice cream and watch Sex and the City? Like which is it? Are you complaining about the stereotypes or engaging in them? Or do you want both so you can have the freedom to be mean about it regardless?

Posted by: Jesse | Aug 8, 2013 12:29:17 PM

3. A bit rude of a video. Why do girls need a shake-down like this? Is it because in general gay guys are uncomfortable actually having a real conversation with girls -- telling them what is and isn't appropriate? Or is it that these vloggers are uncomfortable having personal conversations and the camera allows them to be that brave sassy diva?

Posted by: Jesse | Aug 8, 2013 12:29:17 PM

4. Why do so many gay guys have such a hard time taking a joke? More than anything else this is a sweet-intentioned poke at gay guys that has very little to do with straight girls.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Aug 8, 2013 12:37:27 PM

5. Does anyone want to be these gay boys best friends if they are going to complain so much ?

Posted by: AndyTowlette | Aug 8, 2013 12:38:11 PM

6. Why is there only one flavor of gay men represented?

Posted by: johnny | Aug 8, 2013 12:51:15 PM

7. Henry Chen?? Wow. Wheaton College, I hardly knew ye...

Posted by: Lars | Aug 8, 2013 1:07:48 PM

8. @JOHNNY ... Because the other "flavors" are too busy complaining on Towleroad comment sections about their lack of pop culture representation?

Posted by: RJ | Aug 8, 2013 1:12:15 PM

9. @RJ, self-serving much? Sorry, just saying.

Posted by: Abel | Aug 8, 2013 1:25:55 PM

10. i'm sorry, it's old hash, but it cracked me up!

Posted by: northalabama | Aug 8, 2013 1:34:16 PM

11. If that's a question RJ, the answer is a resounding "NO".

It's because urban gays are usually the type shown on T-road vids and the rest of us out here in the rest of the U.S. are not that type. So, it seems a bit odd to see this type represented over and over and over and over and over and over and over again when that's not our experience.

Nothing against the type shown, just questioning why it's the only type shown.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 8, 2013 1:52:29 PM

12. That video isn't funny.

Posted by: Peter | Aug 8, 2013 1:53:41 PM

13. Oh, this is tired. I couldn't make it to the end. They're just like hens pecking, pecking.

Posted by: will | Aug 8, 2013 1:56:29 PM

14. The gays in this video were just a bunch of talking stereotypes. I don't know why any girls would want to be friends with them anyways.

Posted by: James | Aug 8, 2013 2:21:33 PM

15. I thought the video was a waste of time, too. They completely play off stereotypes, while performing as stereotypes. *palm, meet forehead*

Posted by: reality | Aug 8, 2013 2:30:18 PM

16. Not my cup of tea for sure.

Posted by: Rafael | Aug 8, 2013 2:30:28 PM

17. You guys need to get a grip, light hearted fun is all it is. Lighten up

Posted by: bructer | Aug 8, 2013 2:31:31 PM

18. You guys need to get a grip, light hearted fun is all it is. Lighten up

Posted by: bructer | Aug 8, 2013 2:31:32 PM

19. @ "The gays in this video were just a bunch of talking stereotypes."

Maybe, but with intelligence and wit.

There are all different kinds of LGBT folks, and that's good.

Posted by: Derrick from Phill | Aug 8, 2013 2:36:28 PM

20. Johnny is moaning though Derrick. I won't bother as it looks like I've seen this stuff sooo many times.

Posted by: Rowan | Aug 8, 2013 3:09:19 PM

21. My advice is don't use a gay friend as an emotional crutch so you don't have to risk dating men.

Posted by: anon | Aug 8, 2013 3:18:10 PM

22. If you bothered to get to know these youtubers you would have discovered sweet, intelligent and considerate people who happen to be gay. Not all youtube videos need to be a PhD tutorial to quantum mechanics.

Posted by: oakpope | Aug 8, 2013 3:22:07 PM

23. Straight women almost all view gay men in one of two ways:

a) They can't stand them

or

b) They like them, but only as foppish little pets to keep around for their amusement.....and this relationship is conditioned on the gay boy knowing his place as a social inferior to her and, above all, making no claim to being taken seriously AS A MAN, which she is by no means prepared to acknowledge, since being taken seriously as a man would make him a threat to the socially-privileged position she holds as a result of a homphobic male culture that keeps men dependent on women emotionally, socially, and sexually

The bottom line, though, is that the long-term interests of gay men and straight women do not converge--eliminating the taboo against homosexuality would result in the liberation of men from dependence on women.....and weaken women's social position and, ultimately, the degree of power in society they possess.

And the only gay men who do not realize this are the effeminate fops who are content to be women's lapdogs for all eternity.....

Posted by: Rick | Aug 8, 2013 4:22:08 PM

24. Of course, every statement I make is negated by the fact that I'm such a non-masculine coward that I can't even put a face to my comments. You folks need to understand where I'm coming from: despite my failed attempts to be the Most Masculine Gay Man Ever, I never found a single form of acceptance, or love, or kindness from any straight people; my own family included. Then I see these effeminate little gender-nonconformists out running around in sparkles and rainbows, and they have non-gay family and friends who love them and stand with them.

Do you see how unfair that is to me? Those glitter kids are loved, and I wasn't, even though I tried my damnedest to be the most macho man ever.

Every time I criticize effeminate gay men, just remember what I'm actually saying: My family hated my guts and I never grew the balls to stand up to them, and I still wish to God I'd been born a heterosexual man. I wasn't, and now not only will I die a gay man, I'll die a coward of a gay man and not a single soul will miss me.

Clearly it's all Lady Gaga's fault.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 8, 2013 4:27:24 PM

25. Also, have you ever noticed that I like to contradict myself by criticizing fem gays and women - when if you really analyze my statements what I'm really saying is "The straight men from whom I want validation are anti-gay and will only dole out some tolerance as long as I conform to their expectations?"

Most of you have probably noticed that. But I myself just noticed it right now. It's not easy being me. It's not easy being the only man I've even known who suffers from Penis Envy

Posted by: Rick | Aug 8, 2013 4:29:52 PM