Cher | News | Olympics | Russia | Sochi Olympics

BigGayDeal.com

Cher Turned Down Invitation to Perform at Sochi Olympics

In a wide-ranging interview with Macleans, Cher reveals that she got an invitation to perform in Russia at the Sochi Games and turned it down:

CherI can’t name names but my friend called who is a big oligarch over there, and asked me if I’d like to be an ambassador for the Olympics and open the show. I immediately said no. I want to know why all of this gay hate just exploded over there. He said the Russian people don’t feel the way the government does.

She adds that she relates to people on the fringes because of the way she and Sonny Bono were treated:

People hated Sonny and I in the early days because we looked and acted so different. Sonny was always getting into fights—people would called him “fag” and he’d get his nose broken—only because we were dressing different. And these were our street clothes! You can’t forget that. We tried getting on TV but the backlash against the networks was so bad, they wouldn’t invite us back.

Read the whole interview at Macleans...

Comments

1. Good on you Cher!

Posted by: Jeff | Sep 13, 2013 7:33:34 PM

2. This has me a bit confused. Bless Cher, but normally an ambassador or the opener of a show at the Olympics is a star that comes from the host country and is a celebration of that country. I don't see how she would have fit into the mix. Her friend may have asked, but doubt he had the authority. Maybe some side party event?

Posted by: CB | Sep 13, 2013 7:49:29 PM

3. Cher's story is not plausible to me. Yet, there will be gay guys who will break out the hallelujah chorus with the refrain 'she's on our side, she's on our side, dammit'. Sad, isn't it?

Posted by: Bob | Sep 13, 2013 7:57:55 PM

4. Bravo Cher! But I would question her statement about how the Russian people don't feel the same way that the government does. I read an article by an American man who lived in Russia for awhile and he stated that overall the homophobia there is quite prevalent, as well as alcohol abuse. Not exactly the friendliest country.

Posted by: David From Canada | Sep 13, 2013 8:46:57 PM

5. My apologies. I meant to say that I am a pathetic individual who loathes himself. Hopefully one day I too can be held by Richard Cohen. Then all my dreams will be fulfilled.

Posted by: Bob | Sep 13, 2013 9:47:28 PM

6. Re: Cher's story is not plausible to me.

If it was your mom telling the story then ya, not plausible. This is Cher. I repeat. This is Cher.

Next!

Posted by: Gigi | Sep 13, 2013 10:16:55 PM

7. IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME! WOOOOAAAH!

Posted by: daws | Sep 13, 2013 10:48:35 PM

8. Good for Cher, she really is an ally and I admire her for it. Unfortunately I don't think pasty-faced Putin cares a bit.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 13, 2013 11:55:14 PM

9. This is one bit of good news about the Sochi Olympics.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 14, 2013 3:22:25 AM

10. not so surprising that cher would have been asked. of course she said no. how could she have said anything else. the idea of it is disturbing. it has a weird tone to it kind of like the nazi's inviting the red cross to visit selected concentration camps. so if cher was able to perform how anti gay could it be kind of thing. clever but evil very very evil.

i really don't know much of her music and i'm not a fan of what i know. but on a human level i have respect for her. she understands her influence and isn't going to be duped into doing someone else's business. and just an aside kathy griffin should stop making fun of her.

Posted by: m | Sep 14, 2013 4:35:34 AM

11. Russia and Ukraine are borderline cesspools, and they're worrying about a boy liking another boy or a girl liking another girl! And the Russian Orthodox Church is even more bigoted, intolerant, hate mongering, and extremist than the Islamist insurgents in Russia are. The Russian Orthodox cult (and Putin) is as archaic, backward, bigoted, and worthless as the Catholic and Mormon cults. And if Russia and Ukraine continue to deny rights to gay citizens, the rest of the world should attack heterosexual Russian and Ukrainian citizens in their countries. Start with embassy personnel. Then target politicians, the police, prosecutors, judges, prison personnel, and their loved ones, that persecute the homosexuals in Russia and Ukraine.
    And traditional Russian values!? You mean like serfdom, communism, gulags, mass murder, discrimination, homophobia, anti-Semitism, and war-mongering?
    And Putin and Yanukovych need to be prosecuted for crimes against humanity and executed. (Or assassinated immediately.)

Posted by: rob | Sep 14, 2013 9:54:52 AM

12. Won't it be nice one day, when we won't have to care "what Cher thinks?"

Posted by: JB | Sep 14, 2013 10:07:18 PM