Daniel Radcliffe to Play Freddie Mercury?

Radcliffe

The role of Freddie Mercury in a biopic once attached to Sacha Baron Cohen is Daniel Radcliffe's is he wants it, according to UK tabloid The Daily Star:

MercuryBorat star Sacha Baron Cohen, 41, quit the biopic project this summer following clashes over the script with band members Brian May, 66, and Roger Taylor, 64.

But now producers are keen to bag Radcliffe, 24, and are prepared to offer him big money to tempt him to play the gay singer, whose string of hits included camp rock anthem I Want To Break Free.

If he takes the part, Hollywood insiders predict it will be the actor’s biggest pay day since he played Harry Potter in the successful movies.

“Plus, he’s closer in height to Freddie than Sacha, who’s much taller. Daniel can really sing, too.”

The tabloid also claims that producers are impressed with Radcliffe's Kill Your Darlings performance as gay beat poet Allen Ginsberg, and say that Baren Cohen dropped out because the characterization of Mercury wasn't flamboyant enough in the script for him.

Comments

1. will says

Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out because the script was watered down to make Freddie more “family-friendly”. I don’t have any particular passion or drive to see a watered down family-friendly Freddie Mercury.

And Sacha, despite the height difference, is the ideal Freddie. I wasn’t sure if the pic above was of Freddie or Sacha. They blew it letting him go. Good singer, too.

2. Mike in the tundra says

@ Johnny – he sure doesn’t look hairless. Either I’m seeing something that’s not there, or you’re not seeing something that is hair.

That said, I really don’t think anyone should be playing Freddie. He was an original.

3. Ted B. (Charging Rhino) says

IF you want to tell the true story about Freddie Mercury worts-and-all, perhaps it’s better to have an able actor tackle the role who doesn’t look like Freddie. I’d rather see the truth about Freddie…of whom admittedly I don’t know much about other than a few pop-hits…than a safe but pallid replicant.

4. Ted B. (Charging Rhino) says

5. Rexford says

This I don’t feel at all. Not at all. I read something the other day about Rob James-Collier (Thomas from Downton Abbey) pursuing the role. I think he has a much better “look” for the part as well as the chest hair. Anyone else remember how often that detail used to change when he played Liam Connor on “Coronation Street?” They couldn’t make up their minds whether they wanted him furry or smooth…lol!

6. mike/ says

with Brian May and Roger Taylor calling the shots, this film probably would be far from the truth if they want it to be ‘family friendly’. i have the sense that Freddie, himself, wouldn’t approve…

as far as Daniel Radcliffe playing Freddie, you just never know. someone else pointed out that using an actual actor would be best.

7. says

I just saw Daniel as Allen Ginsberg in “Kill Your Darlings” and he’s Beyond Amazing. He held nothing back, portraying the young Allen coming out and falling in love for the first time.

If they’re going to tell Freddie Mercury’s tory honestly he cold do it in a heartbeat.

8. GB says

Odd that he would play another gay character. I met Freddie Mercury, I think it might be a bit of a stretch. Of course you’ll remember Bette Midler in “The Rose” She tried to evoke Janis Joplin
    with dubious success. Daniel might be able to pull it off. I wish Cohen didn’t back out.

9. Robert says

Daniel Radcliffe is not “nearly hairless.” I saw him naked from the 2nd row, and he is rather hairy. I don’t really see him as Freddy Mercury, but he’s an extremely talented actor and if he thinks he can do it he’ll probably be amazing.

10. Derrick from Philly says

@ “Of course you’ll remember Bette Midler in “The Rose” She tried to evoke Janis Joplin
    with dubious success”

huh? Bette was fantastic as Joplin.

11. Bob R says

Sorry, I love Daniel Radcliffe, but just don’t see him as Freddy Mercury. Now, Rob James Collier from Downton Abbey, with that gorgeous mane he has on his chest, would be a good casting, I think. Not to mention Rob James is a very talented actor as well.

12. Nadine says

In a world where Zoe Saldana can be cast to play Nina Simone, I’m more than on board with Daniel Radcliffe as Freddie Mercury. He may not have have the height, but I’m convinced he has the heart and insight for the part.