Diana Nyad | Florida | News | Swimming

Diana Nyad in Last Stretch of Epic Cuba to Florida Swim

Nyad

Diana Nyad is nearing Key West, in the last stretch of a record-breaking Havana, Cuba to Florida swim without a shark cage, ABC News reports:

Nyad, 64, is in the midst of her fifth attempt to make the treacherous swim. It's her fourth attempt in the last three years. The Los Angeles native left Marina Hemingway in Cuba on Aug. 31 at 8:59 a.m.

"Diana is on course to swim 112 statute miles. This is 35 more miles than anyone has ever swam," navigator John Bartlett said early this morning on Nyad's website.

Nyad could reach the Florida Keys as early as 4 p.m., her team said.

As of 4 a.m., her team tweeted that she was less than 10 miles away from Florida. It's the closest Nyad has come to Florida in any of her five attempts.

Nyad has been attempting to make the swim for 35 years.

Follow Nyad's position here.

UPDATE: And, she did it.

Comments

1. Holy cow! What an accomplishment already!

Posted by: throwslikeagirl | Sep 2, 2013 11:22:19 AM

2. would of been more entertaining if she had a big piece of dead meat attached to her waist.

Posted by: tchew | Sep 2, 2013 11:29:27 AM

3. Frankly, I have no interest in the stunts of the attention-starved idle rich.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 2, 2013 11:41:19 AM

4. Oh good, more criticism in the comments section. She set a personal lifetime goal and she's trying to achieve it. It's almost unfathomable that someone could find a way to tear that down, and yet, here we are.

Congratulations to Diana! I couldn't even attempt a portion of that swim in my 20s, and here she is, about to complete it at 64.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 2, 2013 11:50:56 AM

5. So glad she's going to finally make it-- now maybe we won't have to hear about 10 failed attempts by her per year in the national news.

Posted by: JC | Sep 2, 2013 11:56:13 AM

6. A great achievement by an out and proud lesbian! What an excellent role model she is. I'm proud of her.

Posted by: Wisebear | Sep 2, 2013 12:00:31 PM

7. A record-setting out lesbian in her mid-60s who is also an award-winning journalist and financial advisor? I'm in awe.

Posted by: Smartypants | Sep 2, 2013 12:11:24 PM

8. I am gonna side with the nagging Nancies here: this kind of accomplishments- a la climbing mount Everest- are so very useless to everyone and everything that I can't imagine living my life with such frivolous goals...

Posted by: George F | Sep 2, 2013 12:20:07 PM

9. @RYAN It's just the nature of the Towleroad beast. We've got some very nasty, embittered, do-nothing, envious, petty, small-minded queens here who find it much easier to curse the darkness than light a candle. Let's give our daily Thanks that we are not among them.

By the way, Ms. Nyad's swim IS epic. Those waters ARE treacherous and very, very dangerous. Tricky currents which can change warm water into ice cold in minutes, undertows and shark-infested as all get out.

Good for her!

And for those who wonder why men and women do such things.... they're called challenges. Like getting up off you tired homo ass and going out and doing something/anything.

Otherwise, you're just tired, tacky, tres tres boring Miss Things and I'm sure you'll adapt to the loneliness and wretchedness of your lives in the years to come.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 2, 2013 1:28:51 PM

10. If I could "like" Jamal49's comment on here, I would. Wow, I really hope she makes it.

Posted by: Martin | Sep 2, 2013 1:38:37 PM

11. What Jamal49 said...go Diana!

Posted by: LuckyLinden | Sep 2, 2013 1:52:29 PM

12. The funny thing is that statute miles are (usually) defined in terms that lead back to metres.

Why not just use kilometres, which almost all of the world understands?

Posted by: Randy | Sep 2, 2013 1:53:11 PM

13. Good for her! I would have drown about 1/2 a statute mile from the start lol.

Posted by: daws | Sep 2, 2013 2:15:01 PM

14. Why would articles on American websites about an American swimming to America use the metric system? lol

Anyways this is incredible! I can't believe she's doing this at 64, just goes to show you should never give up on your dreams.

Posted by: JMC | Sep 2, 2013 2:20:27 PM

15. She made it! Even with the added treachery of the bitchy queens on TR! Congrats! Why? Because I love to see someone strive for the undone, and emerge victorious! Victorious over their own shortcomings, the challenges of nature, and -- perhaps most of all -- the bitter Queens!

Posted by: Ken | Sep 2, 2013 2:58:35 PM

16. a very different matter from getting your nuptial knot tied by a supreme court justice....... this is a level of personal determination that doesn't merely raise the bar-- it creates a heretofore unknown one.

Posted by: unokhan | Sep 2, 2013 3:16:29 PM

17. Take that candle to Russia. The US is a democracy with freedom of expression. Now, did she wear a cup?

Posted by: Ben | Sep 2, 2013 3:59:51 PM

18. Jamal49 and Ken - love your comments. She has done something nobody else has and frankly, few could do. I cannot believe that there are folks here who would deny her epic achievement. No, it won't change the world. But it is an impressive feat nonetheless.

Posted by: Josh | Sep 2, 2013 5:38:05 PM

19. 'Nyad'? Really? Whatever.

Posted by: Zeta | Sep 2, 2013 6:00:28 PM

20. Good for her! Now maybe if their was a pissing on everyones accomplishments competition some onhere would win.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Sep 2, 2013 8:02:53 PM

21. Boy is she going to make a lot of money from this.....

Posted by: Ankerich | Sep 2, 2013 8:57:25 PM

22. aww you go gurl

Posted by: luke | Sep 2, 2013 10:13:36 PM

23. I watched her distasterous swim last year. Unfortunately, I forgot this year until literally an hour after she completed it. For several days I kept telling myself that I should check and see if she started swimming yet and forgot. Oh, well. She made it anyway. Last year, it was over before it began. The boat went completely off course in the direction of Lousiana. Then a storm came in. Then what killed the swim was she got out of the water for 8 hours. I remember wondering what was going on because there was no update. She then went back in the water for another ten or so hours before she gave up. I wrote to Diana last year that she I wanted her to continue swimming until she made it. I'm glad she made it. Last year, people were making fun of her and this year they are congratulating her.

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Sep 3, 2013 2:14:28 AM

24. @Bill, pretty much.

Posted by: Zeta | Sep 3, 2013 2:47:32 AM

25. Wat to go, Diana! Well said, Jamal49!

Posted by: Esteban | Sep 3, 2013 4:03:49 AM