Christine Quinn | Dustin Lance Black | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Dustin Lance Black Endorses Christine Quinn for NYC Mayor: VIDEO

Dl_black

Screenwriter Dustin Lance Black (Milk) argues that NYC mayoral candidate and City Council Speaker Christine Quinn will fight for those who, like her, have felt the sting of discrimination - in particular, LGBT youth who come to New York looking for a place where they are accepted.

Black believes her success and effectiveness will be an inspiration to others, "not just people from the LGBT community, not just women, but any group that has ever been discriminated against."

Watch Black's clip, put out by the Quinn campaign today, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The only reason to vote for Quinn is because she's a lesbian and that's simply not enough.

Posted by: David | Sep 4, 2013 9:07:18 PM

2. She'll be an inspiration ...unless, of course, they want affordable housing, readily available health care, someone who doesn't suck up to the 1% taking over the city and drive the middle class out, a non-screamer, less discrimination against minorities other than gays & lesbians, and more.

Vote for de Blasio, or vote for Quinn and get another 4 years of Bloomberg.

Posted by: Jeff | Sep 4, 2013 9:09:07 PM

3. Dustin Lace Black, who lives in Los Angeles.

Posted by: Jerry | Sep 4, 2013 10:02:48 PM

4. Is Towleroad going to post a daily pro-Quinn spot every day until the primary on September 10? Any disclosure you need to make, Andy?

Posted by: scotto | Sep 4, 2013 10:26:12 PM

5. Your shirt is too tight Lance, and that ridiculous hair...well. You should support Weiner. You've both exposed yourselves. Go away please...

Posted by: Rex | Sep 4, 2013 10:33:55 PM

6. I liked his other video instead. The one with screencaps that were all over the internet a few years ago.

Posted by: bravo | Sep 4, 2013 10:37:32 PM

7. Dustin, I think that as a Los Angeles resident you have only a pride-reflex reaction to the NYC mayoral race. That's too glib for the realities of this city. I don't think you know what's going on here or why Christine Quinn as mayor would encourage the worst kind of discrimination of all--the kind of pervasive economic injustice that subjugates people of all races, genders, and sexualities. If you lived here, and you saw what was really going on here, you'd vote for de Blasio.

Posted by: David Groff | Sep 4, 2013 10:45:11 PM

8. Your, she's part of the "woe is me" club, doesn't fly. She'll leave all that concern behind her if she gets elected. She isn't smart enough to be Mayor. I really hope she doesn't win, but that would take someone off of your ass kissing list. :(

Posted by: White | Sep 4, 2013 10:49:45 PM

9. I'm not a big Quinn fan. I'm not an enemy either, I just don't like her political circle. If we want an openly gay role model for a big city government, look to Houston. Annise Parker was not only elected but re-elected. She's done an excellent job of managing the country's fourth largest city.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Sep 4, 2013 10:59:45 PM

10. I'm not a big Quinn fan. I'm not an enemy either, I just don't like her political circle. If we want an openly gay role model for a big city government, look to Houston. Annise Parker was not only elected but re-elected. She's done an excellent job of managing the country's fourth largest city.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Sep 4, 2013 10:59:46 PM

11. Sorry. Won't vote for her just because she's gay. She lost my vote when she got caught storing city money in charities that didn't exist. And then allowed Bloomberg to another term hoping we'd forget about it all by 2013. Not me. #DeBlasio -- his wife's bi, too.

Posted by: brian | Sep 4, 2013 11:09:36 PM

12. WTF is the Quinn campaign thinking by releasing yet another ad (yesterday George Takei, today Dustin Black) with some LA celebrity gay telling New Yorkers how to vote? Don't they realize how alienating this is? Even if I were for Quinn (which I'm not, for all the various reasons everyone else has mentioned here and more), I wouldn't think it is to her credit to have endorsements from out-of-towners with superficial understandings of Quinn, her opponents, and the race.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Sep 4, 2013 11:48:58 PM

13. He's cute, though not that cute. Wrong choice Mr. Black.

Posted by: brion | Sep 5, 2013 12:05:06 AM

14. Dustin still hasn't come down since his night with Rob Reiner. He's the oldest person in LA to pull off precocious wonder boy. I think it hinges on how much older everyone fawning over him is.

Posted by: Fan | Sep 5, 2013 12:06:00 AM

15. Tourist don't get to vote.

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Sep 5, 2013 12:18:27 AM

16. Tourist don't get to vote.

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Sep 5, 2013 12:18:28 AM

17. Dustin "sweetie" go back to making bareback home videos and leaving the politics to the adults. I certainly am not going to take political advice from some wanna-be peter pan aging twink.

Posted by: TruthSerum | Sep 5, 2013 12:40:25 AM

18. BFD. Who gives a damn what he thinks?

Posted by: Putney | Sep 5, 2013 6:22:24 AM

19. Wow, that endorsement obviously targeted to the gay community really backfired judging by all the hate in these comments. Then again there's always a lot of hate in towleroad comments so maybe this isn't the best barometer.

Posted by: Brian1 | Sep 5, 2013 6:28:10 AM

20. I'd be thrilled to see Quinn win on a personal level because of the opportunity for firsts -- out gay and a woman -- but, honestly, she's very far removed from the best candidate in the race. She's the millionaire's candidate in the race, a friend of Wall St. and the special interests. She's not the average worker's candidate. That's for sure.

So I hate to say it, but I have to root against her. I'll be happy for her if she wins, but she's the candidate of the status quo for NYC. She's not the candidate for a better future.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 5, 2013 6:54:45 AM

21. PS.

@MichaelJ

"WTF is the Quinn campaign thinking by releasing yet another ad (yesterday George Takei, today Dustin Black) with some LA celebrity gay telling New Yorkers how to vote? "

I wouldn't be shocked if they've done the polls and saw that Quinn either isn't winning the LGBT vote or if she isn't winning it by a large margin.

LGBT voters are exceptionally savvy and high-percentage voters and won't vote for someone just because of issue X, Y, or Z. They'll usually support the most progressive, best candidate regardless personal identity politics. While LGBT voters may make up a small amount of the population, we're a much larger and more important block-voting demographic of elections who vote at the highest rates in the country. Our votes absolutely do make the difference in any major competitive elections.

I've seen pressure bared down on LGBT voters in myriad campaigns by elite forces in the LGBT community to get them to vote 'the right' way, even if it's for an inferior candidate, and this is often part of how it looks like. It usually doesn't work -- it almost always comes with a whiff of desperation that's easy for most LGBT people to sniff out.

I don't want to say it's 100% what's going on here, just my gut coming from my not inconsiderable amount of political experience. I'm sure DLB and George Takei really do support Quinn and maybe it was easy to convince them to do these videos, especially if it was impressed upon them that the LGBT vote wasn't as lopsided for Quinn as Quinn's campaign would like.

I just don't think this pressure would have been brought to bare -- and that these asks would have been made to these non-resident celebrities at all -- unless it was because Quinn's campaign was desperate to make up ground. That's what's really probably going on here. Nothing nefarious, but Quinn and LGBT elite allies looking for any way they can find to 'reach' regular LGBT voters and 'talk some sense' to us even if most LGBT people understand the dynamics of this race better than the elites in the LGBT community who don't have to worry about whether they can afford NYC rent.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 5, 2013 7:06:40 AM

22. I never, never, NEVER stay home from the polls. But I'd stay home before I'd vote for Quinn. I'm sick to death of everything--and I mean EVERYTHING--in NYC being handed over to the business community--a business community, btw, that doesn't even pay its own way.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Sep 5, 2013 7:18:55 AM

23. I would love to vote for NYC's first female and first (openly) gay mayor. But alas, Chris is most definitely not the one. The sad reality is that on both leadership style and substance, she is all kinds of wrong. Having worked at the City Council, I speak from personal knowledge.

Josh Barro, I believe, made the very astute observation that Chris may have had better luck had she run for the GOP nomination. It's not a crazy idea.

This registered NYC Democrat is voting for de Blasio. A progressive mayor for a progressive city -- it's about time that office stood up to the real estate lobby rather than kissing their @ss.

Posted by: Lars | Sep 5, 2013 7:30:42 AM

24. Dustin, Got the same hair as Justin.

Posted by: Ed | Sep 5, 2013 8:01:13 AM

25. Quinn gets my vote, because she's already run the city well and is the only candidate with a record.

Posted by: reader | Sep 5, 2013 9:31:23 AM