Cleveland | Crime | Jared Fox | News | Ohio

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Man Beaten by Mob in Hate Crime Outside Cleveland Bar: VIDEO

Fox

Jared Fox was attacked on Saturday night outside the Cocktails Lounge in the area of West 93rd Street and Detroit Avenue by a group of people he says taunted him with homophobic slurs and demanded money, ABC5 reports:

Cleveland police said they received four calls about a group of males disturbing the area and assaulting a customer at Cocktails Lounge.

“Last night I was the victim of a hate crime. I was walking into a bar on Detroit Avenue in Cleveland. I was walking from my parked car. I got out and I saw a group of youth on the side of the street,”  Jared Fox said in a YouTube video.

“Instincts and my experience with youth was that kids in a large group just aren’t up any good.”

“They started to just charge and they surrounded me,” Fox said. He said they asked for him money and used anti-gay slurs. “They thought I was an easy target.”

"They just started beating me," Fox said. "They punched my glasses into my face and sliced it right there" he said while pointing to the cut on his nose. He said he also suffered a ruptured eardrum. "They stomped on me, my back, my ribs while I was on the ground."

Fox says one of them asked him, "Do you want to die?" He says he begged someone driving by in a car for help but the car drove away. He also pounded on the doors of nearby houses.

Watch ABC5's report and Fox's YouTube video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It's Cleveland. Just sayin

Posted by: BB | Sep 3, 2013 11:31:03 AM

2. What does that mean, it's Cleveland? is Ohio like Russia? just askin'...(Canada here)

Posted by: Claude C | Sep 3, 2013 11:42:40 AM

3. BB, um, hate crimes have been occurring on a severe level in New York City among other major metros. Cleveland or not, we're not really safe in most places. A sad but obvious reality.

Heart goes out to Jared Fox. Wish him the best in his recovery physically and especially mentally/emotionally.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Sep 3, 2013 11:42:44 AM

4. What the F is wrong with people?

Posted by: Frank | Sep 3, 2013 11:44:05 AM

5. It's Cleveland. Just sayin
    Posted by: BB | Sep 3, 2013 11:31:03 AM

It has nothing to do with Cleveland or Ohio. It has a lot to do with the demographics of the attackers. Same as in the New York bashings.

Posted by: Bill S | Sep 3, 2013 11:54:46 AM

6. Well, not the best part of town if you do a google drive-through... just before midnight, etc. etc...

Why set yourself up for this stuff?

Be safe, don't go out alone. Carry mace or a tazer.

Posted by: johnny | Sep 3, 2013 11:58:47 AM

7. PS I'm not blaming the victim, these are thugs, they are everywhere, so figure this stuff out and avoid these situations.

Posted by: johnny | Sep 3, 2013 11:59:20 AM

8. Had to sneak that in did you "Bill S."

Posted by: Polyboy | Sep 3, 2013 12:42:34 PM

9. What an awful attack, but what an amazing outlook he has in it this situation. So want to give him a hug.

Posted by: Robbie | Sep 3, 2013 12:46:17 PM

10. This is why we need strictly enforced curfews for teenagers. I always feel intimidated when I see a group of teenage boys on the street, especially at night.

Posted by: AJD | Sep 3, 2013 12:49:10 PM

11. "It has nothing to do with Cleveland or Ohio. It has a lot to do with the demographics of the attackers. Same as in the New York bashings"

Exactly. In virtually all these attacks, the perpetrators are black or Hispanic. As is the case with the vast majority of violent crimes, whether motivated by homophobia or not. Which the liberal media tries desperately to cover up....and then acs as though racial profiling is not justified.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 3, 2013 1:15:47 PM

12. Been there. Leaving a bar at 7:00 one night after work.

There were 4 of them. They were not teenage boys, though.

They told me that I was going to die, as I crossed the parking lot and was walking towards my car.

It was snowing big fluffy flakes. I can remember how quiet it was, I could hear my heart beating. There was no visibility past about 30 feet. I was on my own. Nobody was going to help me.

I started to run towards my car.

The defining moment was when I reached in my coat pocket for my car keys, as they were chasing me...

OMG, there's a can of mace in my pocket I totally forgot about...

I emptied it on them. It was red dye pepper mace. I covered their faces with it. I got in my car and drove home. The cops didn't care, wouldn't even take a report. This was '92 I think. I was angry, I cried, took a bath, smoked a bowl, and went back out, with a new can of mace in my pocket, and an aluminum baseball bat in my car.

Be prepared. Things don't always "get better" if you're not prepared.

I thinking about getting a concealed carry permit. I don't believe the haters are going to accept us ever, I think they'll get increasingly violent as we make more progress, and I have people that depend on me now.

Posted by: Pookie | Sep 3, 2013 1:17:01 PM

13. I think you're making a *huge* mistake if you think that you're safe around white people, and just assume that black or hispanic people are going to be more dangerous...

Posted by: Buckie | Sep 3, 2013 1:22:37 PM

14. Arm yourselves! It is your right.

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 3, 2013 1:51:43 PM

15. I agree. It's those black and hispanic thugs you have to watch out for. In fact, if Matthew Shepard had just watched out for the black and hispanic guys that hung him on the fence.....oh, wait.........

And YES - I was being sarcastic.

We can all have our racial biases. But the fact is, so much homo bashing is done by people fighting their own repressed homosexual feelings. And that, unfortunately, knows no color. I agree with a poster above. As we get more rights and become more mainstream, there will be more attacks.

Be on guard.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 3, 2013 1:55:35 PM

16. "In fact, if Matthew Shepard had just watched out for the black and hispanic guys that hung him on the fence.....oh, wait........."

Blah, blah, blah, Matthew Shepard, Matthew Shepard, Matthew Shepard, Matthew Shepard, blah, blah, blah.

People like you keep bringing that one example up because it is the only one you have.....which means that it is the exception that proves the rule.

the only racial bias is on the part of misguided white liberals who, out of their keejerk reflex to avoid blaming non-whites for any of their actions, perpetuate the problem.....and make it worse.

These kinds of attacks are increasing all over the country and it is no accident that virtually all of them are being perpetrated by non-whites, as desperately hard as you try to cover that fact up....and the more you try to cover it up, the more they will increase.....

Posted by: Rick | Sep 3, 2013 2:07:01 PM

17. Just remember, I'm a completely closeted coward with no balls. That is all.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 3, 2013 2:12:55 PM

18. Most gay bashings occur in urban and suburban areas, in areas where Democrats rule, and in multiracial situations. Matthew Shepard is the exception and not typical of the average gay bashing.

Posted by: Kev C | Sep 3, 2013 2:23:07 PM

19. Oh Rick, Kiwi isn't here for you to physically threaten while doing your usual racist crap.

And Kev, somehow I think you're overstating your knowledge of "most" gay bashings.

Posted by: Polyboy | Sep 3, 2013 2:35:16 PM

20. If you do a web search and read the story, you'll find that NO ONE - no media outlets - are reporting a description of the perpetrators. Just that there were "20 youths."

What this ALWAYS means - in today's politically correct media - is that they're black. 100% without a doubt.

Wouldn't it be helpful to publish a description of what they looked like? Yep, but the media won't, because they're so freaking PC and will "feel bad" for saying they're black.

But...they are.

Posted by: NYCer | Sep 3, 2013 2:38:21 PM

21. Matthew Shepard, Brandon Teena, Anthony Milano...oh, and Harvey Milk.

Were the above Gay/Transger folks killed by Black folks? When the Gay bashing resuts in torture and a fatality it seems to be INTRAracial.

And I meant NOT to read these b.tch azz comments.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 3, 2013 2:43:34 PM

22. Blacks are 16% of the population of Florida, meaning that black males are more or less 8% of the Florida population. Black males commit 54% of the murders in Florida.

In London, the race/crime numbers are similar to those of Florida.

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 3, 2013 3:12:12 PM

23. I forgot Gwyn Araujo and twelve year old Lawrence King. Gay and Transgender folks murdered but not by Blacks.

"Black males commit 54% of the murders in Florida"

Thanks for the statistics...again. And now tell us about the White Florida men who've committed violent crimes. What kind of backgrounds do they come from? Generational poverty, maybe? Similar to you know who.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 3, 2013 3:39:43 PM

24. Ignore the fact that Kev C, Hagatha and I are all the same troll. If I make it seem as though multiple individuals agree with my points, said opinions therefore seem valid. At least that's what the goal is. Is it working? Does my racism seem logical and justified?

Posted by: Rick | Sep 3, 2013 3:47:49 PM

25. Selective statistics, fearmongering, and worse, trotting out the usual "political correctness." Fairly typical.

The media does not hide that stuff, especially Fox. But keep lying to yourself about who perpetuates hate crimes in this country, especially at the law making and religious level.

Scott Lively is not black.

Posted by: Polyboy | Sep 3, 2013 3:49:20 PM