Figure Skating | Johnny Weir | News | Olympics | Russia | Sochi Olympics | Sports

Gay U.S. Figure Skater Johnny Weir Won't Skate in Sochi Games

Weir

U.S. figure skater Johnny Weir declined to register for the national championships and thus won't qualify for the Sochi Winter Games in Russia, the AP reports:

Though Weir had raised the possibility of competing in Sochi in recent interviews, his decision to sit out the season and likely bring an end to his amateur career is not a surprise. He turned 29 in July, old by elite skating standards, and the sport has only gotten more demanding since the last Olympics...

...Weir also is married and has a budding design career, and would be a natural fit for broadcasting. He's always been delightfully refreshing, on and off the ice, and is one of the few skaters who spoke his mind -- even when he knew it would get him in trouble with judges and federation officials. He could also be counted on for thoughtful answers on a variety of topics, and has been an outspoken and very public critic of Russia's new "anti-gay" law.

Comments

1. What a bore wearing his little Russian soldier boy uniform.

Posted by: Bobby | Sep 17, 2013 9:10:22 PM

2. I've always liked Johnny: a cute, colourful, little elf-like guy on skates. He's very endearing. I wish him all the best with his life - and he's not missing out on anything by declining to go to rat-hole Russia.

Posted by: David From Canada | Sep 17, 2013 9:11:26 PM

3. Umm... "and very public critic of Russia's new "anti-gay" law"? Uh... hmm... Did the Associated Press writer see his last interview where he is wearing the Nazi, I mean Russian military, uniform?

Posted by: Macguffin54 | Sep 17, 2013 9:26:00 PM

4. Too bad a real gay person won't be skating.

Posted by: Jake | Sep 17, 2013 9:28:49 PM

5. He is not a critic of the antigay laws. Not by a long shot.
    He's the worst kind of "face of the gays"
    Look at that Russian military jacket.

Posted by: hgfuu | Sep 17, 2013 9:30:42 PM

6. Wasn't Weir making headlines like 3 weeks ago saying gays should be going to the Olympics? Am I mixing him up with another out American figure skater?

Posted by: Rob | Sep 17, 2013 9:38:52 PM

7. Maybe he didn't think he'd qualify, and now he has time to push for a commentator job at NBC

Posted by: David | Sep 17, 2013 9:39:00 PM

8. Nose. Cut. Face. Spite.

Posted by: Eric | Sep 17, 2013 9:54:23 PM

9. *eye-roll*

Posted by: RLW | Sep 17, 2013 10:05:56 PM

10. *eye-roll*

Posted by: RLW | Sep 17, 2013 10:05:56 PM

11. Does he not look like the ugliest Russian? He will do anything for publicity and knew full well he wouldn't be attending, much less good enough to qualify for, the Russian Olympics but he just had to grab that microphone and pander to Putin. He makes me sick. I hope his designing career goes down in flames. Surprised his husband hasn't already filed for divorce.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Sep 17, 2013 10:14:26 PM

12. If I were a skater, I would not skate in Russia because of their gay hatred!! Good for him, he is doing the right thing!!

Posted by: Charles Strachan | Sep 17, 2013 10:29:46 PM

13. Um, he's wearing a Russian military uniform. He calls being gay a 'lifestyle.' He is not the brightest bagel in the box.

Posted by: sundayboy | Sep 17, 2013 10:36:36 PM

14. I really cannot stand this guy. What a horrible representation of the gay community. Not because he's fem, but because he is a raging idiot.

Posted by: Chris | Sep 17, 2013 10:40:34 PM

15. I said he was the saddest media troll.....

Posted by: Ankerich | Sep 17, 2013 10:41:08 PM

16. "Declined to register?" Right. There was no way he was going to qualify. He doesn't have the quad jumps you need to medal at worlds. He hasn't even been competing at the US championships where, these days, he would probably finish about sixth.

Posted by: chris | Sep 17, 2013 10:48:37 PM

17. If the AP is going to patronize us by calling a famous out person a "natural fit for broadcasting" and "delightfully refreshing," why not puff up someone who's not a gay Stepin Fetchit doing damage to LGBT causes.

Posted by: Jeff | Sep 17, 2013 11:01:33 PM

18. "I said he was the saddest media troll....."

Truer words have never been spoken...

Posted by: Mike-in-Oly | Sep 17, 2013 11:02:22 PM

19. He would not have qualified for the US team, period !!

Posted by: Richard | Sep 17, 2013 11:55:20 PM

20. You mean people aren't totally over Johnny Weir?

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Sep 18, 2013 12:05:52 AM

21. Johnny won the bronze at the 2010 Olympics. He had two near perfect routines. I was dazzled. His long skate has been in my mind since. It's something I will never forget. The reason he didn't actually get the bronze is because of anti-gay bias.

I've been looking for news about Johnny the last few days and I noticed in none of it he mentioned competing. So this isn't a big surprise. I am disappointed I won't see him again compete at the Olympics. I don't think I'll watch the Olympics this time because of Russia's anti-gay laws.

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Sep 18, 2013 12:14:39 AM

22. What is this a press release for him

Posted by: Billy | Sep 18, 2013 12:33:35 AM

23. Can't stand him, he also likes to wear fur, CREEP!!!

Posted by: S | Sep 18, 2013 1:05:39 AM

24. Disgusting little troll. Ugh.

Posted by: Will | Sep 18, 2013 1:24:34 AM

25. @Billy Crytical
    Did you actually watch the 2010 Olympics ?

Weir finished 6th.

Anti-gay bias?
    How is it that Evan Lysacek won the gold medal? There was a saying about the 2010 male skaters: GAY = American who can't do a quad.

The bronze medal was won by Japan's Daisuke Takahashi, who is openly gay.

Weir finished 3rd at the 2008 World's, which was his best placing ever.

Posted by: Richard | Sep 18, 2013 2:00:58 AM