Alan Ball | News | Ryan Kwanten | True Blood

BigGayDeal.com

HBO Announces End of 'True Blood'

Kwanten

True Blood will end its run in 2014, HBO announced today, the HuffPost reports:

“'True Blood' has been nothing short of a defining show for HBO," Michael Lombardo, president of programming at HBO, said in a statement. "Alan Ball took the books by Charlaine Harris, assembled a brilliant cast led by the magnificent Anna Paquin in the role of Sookie Stackhouse, and crafted a show that has taken its many devoted fans on an Unforgettable journey. Alan passed the baton to Brian Buckner, who led our fantastic writers and crew in crafting a spectacular sixth season, and he will lead us through the seventh and final season of this amazing show. Together with its legions of fans, it will be hard to say goodbye to the residents of Bon Temps, but I look forward to what promises to be a fantastic final chapter of this incredible show."

Said Alan Ball: “From the moment I read Charlaine’s books, I thought there was potential for something really special. Then our amazing writers, cast and crew brought her world to life in a way that exceeded my wildest expectations. I’m deeply grateful to HBO for being true partners and collaborators, and, of course, to the viewers who chose to spend Sunday nights in Bon Temps with us."

Comments

1. I used to love this show. After Alan Ball left it really became a shadow of its former self. I stopped watching a few weeks ago when I kept getting pulled out of the action by dialogue that was so poorly written that I actually felt embarrassed for the actors. An example that comes to mind is from 6x1 when Bill is trying to reassure Jessica in her bedroom and says that "Surviving a staking is some heady f*cking sh*t". It just felt so out of character it felt like a dad trying to be cool and just being embarrassing. I tried to forget about it, but later in the same episode Sookie let's fly with a string of profanity that was out of character for her as well. It's not about me being a prude- I'm far from a prude. It's just that it's like the writers weren't even writing for the same characters as from seasons 1-5.

Posted by: Eric | Sep 3, 2013 2:55:06 PM

2. The show lost its way. I was only tuning in to see Ryan Kwanten naked. I'm glad to hear it's ending next season -- better to go out now than drive it any further into the ground.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 3, 2013 3:02:15 PM

3. What Ryan said, especially the Ryan Kwanten naked part.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Sep 3, 2013 3:11:05 PM

4. The final season must have a full frontal from Ryan Kwanten. In fact, one whole episode of him naked would work for me.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 3, 2013 3:12:04 PM

5. Sorry boys, as much as I believe we'd all LOVE to see Kwanten's privates, something tells me his contract is explicit that he not be required to do fully exposed frontal nudity. I have loved every episode of this show and I'll be sad to see it go. But all good things must come to an end and True Blood will always be a cult classic.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Sep 3, 2013 3:21:55 PM

6. Personally I would love a retrospect of Alcide ...but only the nude parts ..thanks.

Posted by: jerry mazzola | Sep 3, 2013 3:22:33 PM

7. This show is WELL past it's prime -- nude Kwanten or not. This is really an announcement they should have made two seasons ago, but I will happily accept it now! Thanks, HBO!

Posted by: Princely | Sep 3, 2013 3:26:36 PM

8. Somewhat of a shame, because after the debacle of two seasons ago, the season that just ended I felt really started to "right the ship" so to speak. But, it's true, all good things must come to an end.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 3, 2013 3:28:59 PM

9. Yay. I'm glad it will be ending. I've really loved the show, but the last few seasons have not been as good as the first few - and I think an ending season will provide some inspiration for a good finale turn.

I think the recent season improved a bit from the very lackluster low point of Season 5 - which had very few, but some, redeeming qualities. Now that it's had an upswing, huzzah for hopefully going out on a high note.

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 3, 2013 3:36:53 PM

10. All shows fluctuate in quality. But I think this show started to get it right again. Keep in mind the first 2 or 3 eps of this season were under a different show runner than the rest of the season. And Alan Ball's last two seasons (the witches and the Authority) were what brought the show down. I really think this show has a lot if life left in it if people just gave it a chance.

Posted by: Macguffin54 | Sep 3, 2013 3:41:45 PM

11. Maybe I'm too forgiving with TV shows, but I just don't get all the complaints about how TB went off the rails and how season X sucked and yadda, yadda. I never watched the show until this summer, when I started from the beginning and watched every episode over the course of a few weeks and never once thought any one particular season was better or worse than the others. Maybe it was because I wasn't waiting with bated breath each week for the new episodes and watched them pretty much back-to-back, but it all seemed to fit within the realm of a supernatural, make-believe series. Just my humble opinion. Also, I haven't read the books and have no comparison there.

I do think it is a good time to end the series, though. I'm curious to see where some of the actors will end up, especially Ryan Kwanten, who is beautiful to look at, but somewhat limited in his acting abilities. Again, in my opinion.

Posted by: AriesMatt | Sep 3, 2013 3:42:46 PM

12. I want to see HBO tackle "The Iron Druid Chronicles".

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Sep 3, 2013 4:43:07 PM

13. @ Phoenix Justice... I want to see HBO tackle "The Iron Druid Chronicles". - YES, PLEASE!

...or Kate Griffin's "The Midnight Mayor".

(So many good things just get ignored.)

Posted by: James in Toronto | Sep 3, 2013 5:06:35 PM

14. I have enjoyed the books much more, especially after the very first season.

I agree about the Kwanten full-frontal though.

Posted by: Grant | Sep 3, 2013 5:34:50 PM

15. Books are way better than the show.
    This season I was like WTF....

Someone needs to tell Anna Paquin to eat.
    Her transformation into a walking talking eating disorder advertisement isn't cute.

Posted by: mickey | Sep 3, 2013 5:47:01 PM

16. 'brilliant', 'magnificent', 'unforgettable', 'spectacular', 'amazing', 'fantastic',
    'incredible'. Mr. Lombardo likes his synonyms!

Posted by: Walt | Sep 3, 2013 6:11:57 PM

17. @Phoenix Justice, thanks for the recommendation, I've added it to my must-read list. :-)

The teen at heart would love to see Alex Sanchez's "Rainbow Boys" series come TV.

Posted by: Joel V | Sep 3, 2013 6:24:33 PM

18. @Joel V - I will have to check that out as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Sep 3, 2013 7:48:22 PM

19. @Matt - I agree the last season really redeemed this debacle somewhat, and I enjoyed watching it after suffering through the last couple of seasons for the bits and pieces of fun, nudity and certain character stories. I hope they keep up the trajectory and manage to make the final season a great ending to the series.

Posted by: SoLeftImRight | Sep 3, 2013 10:44:02 PM

20. Hard to believe HBO let this one run so long yet cancelled a show like Deadwood after three seasons.

Posted by: Tristram | Sep 4, 2013 12:22:31 AM

21. If you want a reason why it lasted longer than "Deadwood" then look at the rating. It's still watched by as many or more people than "Game of Thrones" with it just starting to slip slightly this year. I think 4 people watched "Deadwood".

Posted by: jonathan | Sep 4, 2013 9:10:32 AM

22. If I'm not mistaken they had always planned for just 7 seasons so this is no big surprise.

Posted by: Derrick | Sep 4, 2013 9:27:28 AM

23. Does anyone think that any of the actors from True Blood have any future in film or tv after True Blood is over?

Other than Anna Paquin who was already a well regarded film actress?

Because I can't think of any HBO show where there were any break out stars who made it big in film or tv after their series ended.

Ryan Kwanten is pretty to look at but pretty faces are a dime a dozen in Hollyweird.

Posted by: American Dreamer | Sep 4, 2013 5:02:49 PM

24. It had a great run, loved it and will miss it every Sunday, but after last season, I believe it's time to vanish in the night, for good. I'm no prude either, but to have the "F" word come out every 10-15 seconds, even in a show like this, is just a little to much. Goodbye gang, enjoy your millions.

Posted by: VA_Vamp | Sep 16, 2013 3:13:55 PM