Katy Perry | Music | News

Katy Perry is 'Walking on Air' with New 90's Dance Music-Influenced Single: AUDIO

Woa_perry

Katy Perry released her new single today produced and co-written by Klas Åhlund, who co-wrote "Speakerphone" for Kylie Minogue as well as Britney Spears' "Piece of Me" and has produced dozens of tracks for Swedish pop star Robyn.

Perry told MTV News that it was influenced by CeCe Penison's 1991 hit "Finally" and 90's deep house music.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Her strained caterwauling's an insult to the diva's she's attempting to appropriate whom actually gave incredible, clear-toned belts in their early to mid 90's anthems.

Have fun on the gay club dance-floor while this suffocates it's speakers - in the meantime I'll try convincing the DJ/manager to stick with the originals :)

Posted by: Leo | Sep 30, 2013 12:22:35 PM

2. I'm showing my age but when I was a teenager in the 90's, we did NOT remix/take/steal/recreate 80's music! We started something called house music that morphed into so much more. Of course samples were used but they were from Jazz to classical, from the 20's to the 80's.

It's just bizarre what these born in the 90's kids are doing, although Perry is not that much younger then me.

Anyway, I don't blame her as she is so cynical and devoid of any heart that I don't think it's her choice like it's Rihanna's to specifically copy rave.

Perry just follows the $$$.

Posted by: Rowan | Sep 30, 2013 1:01:17 PM

3. I like it. I grew up in the 90s, and LOVE 90s dance music. This isn't as good as real 90s dance music, but I still like it!

Posted by: Luke | Sep 30, 2013 1:05:01 PM

4. "We started something called house music that morphed into so much more."

I don't like Katy Perry, but you couldn't be more clueless. House music did not just spring from the ground. It evolved out of disco and techno. Half the house songs they produced in the 90s were remakes of disco songs! And the other half were gospel tracks that some DJ-producer set to a beat.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 30, 2013 1:22:57 PM

5. Britney, Miley, Katy...Andy Towle will never let you down as far as publicizing corporate female pop acts who mime, lip synch or use Auto Tune.

Has Andy also forgotten Katy's disparagingly anti-gay songs? Or doesn't he mind?

Posted by: adrenan p | Sep 30, 2013 1:30:45 PM

6. Don't get Andy mad Adrenan, he'll school you with links from that weekly (or monthly, whatever...) blog-house report on here. LMFAO

Posted by: Leo | Sep 30, 2013 1:39:28 PM

7. Don't get Andy mad Adrenan, he'll school you with links from that weekly (or monthly, whatever...) blog-house report on here. LMFAO

Posted by: Leo | Sep 30, 2013 1:39:29 PM

8. Jason/Adam/Bob has a new username. How exciting.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 30, 2013 1:48:51 PM

9. I like it!!!! I am shaking my money maker!!! I didn't want it to end. It's different from Roar. Now I am curious what the rest of the CD will sound like.

Posted by: justin | Sep 30, 2013 1:49:17 PM

10. Meh. I've heard worse but she doesn't come close to replicating the soulful sounds of 90's club divas.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 30, 2013 1:57:23 PM

11. Nope - still can't sing. Gods...her voice is awful! I can only imagine how terrible this will sound live...with her straining to hit ANY of the upper notes.

Pathetic...

Posted by: Gaffawebber | Sep 30, 2013 1:58:43 PM

12. She should get this song mixed with CeCe Penistons Keep On Walkin-then maybe I might like it !!!

Posted by: mattsy | Sep 30, 2013 2:26:09 PM

13. Cece Penison? Oh my....

Were you thinking pension? Or just penis?

Posted by: Randy | Sep 30, 2013 5:46:01 PM

14. That link seems to be gone.

This one worked. I assume it's the same.

Posted by: Randy | Sep 30, 2013 5:49:28 PM