Dan Savage | Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | NALT (Not All Like That) | News

New Video Project from Dan Savage Hopes to Show Anti-Gay Christians are 'Not All Like That' — VIDEO

Savage

A new video project being launched by Dan Savage, author John Shore, and Truth Wins Out's Wayne Besen and Evan Hurst, seeks to show the world that not all Christians espouse the hateful anti-gay views of people like Tony Perkins and NOM's Brian Brown.

The NALT ("Not All Like That") Project will consist of videos uploaded on YouTube featuring religious folk showing support for their LGBT friends, neighbors, co-workers, and family members.

Watch Dan's inaugural video, AFTER THE JUMP...

And check out the site here.

Comments

1. This is a fantastic idea! Whenever a bigot or hate group leader makes a pronouncement on behalf of "people of faith" or "Christians" and we fight back, Christians always tell US "we're not all like that" -- but I never get the feeling they tell other CHRISTIANS the same!

This gives a platform for those progressive Christians to be counted.

Posted by: Strepsi | Sep 4, 2013 9:42:18 AM

2. I've said it so many times... If you really weren't "all like that," you wouldn't be whispering it angrily to me, you'd be shouting it angrily at the vast majority of them who ARE all like that.

This project is going to be about as successful as the OWN network.

Posted by: Jasun Mark | Sep 4, 2013 9:58:59 AM

3. Well, actually, most of them are like that. I normally like and respect Dan but this one's a loser.

Posted by: Butch | Sep 4, 2013 10:04:32 AM

4. This is great news, and a great platform.

Even if it was true (which I'll dispute) that the majority of Christians are actively hateful and hurtful and bigoted, rather than just silent on the issue and complicit in the hate of those who speak for Christianity, that doesn't invalidate the "Not ALL like that" concept.

Even if they are a tiny minority (again, I honestly don't think so), giving them a voice and a place to come together will only grow the ranks of those who want to be pro-LGBT without giving up their belief in God.

Posted by: Lymis | Sep 4, 2013 10:09:45 AM

5. Does anybody actually believe Christians are "all like that"? I doubt it.

There surely are Christians who are not like that, but what matters is whether it's because of Christianity or despite it. Christianity's past and, to a large extent, present has been anti-gay, and even gay-affirming Christians don't seem that eager to condemn it. So I don't see the point of this project.

Posted by: Eugene | Sep 4, 2013 10:17:29 AM

6. I don't get it. Let's help the poor, unfortunate, hetero, religious people who have tacitly supported hate-filled churches and preachers for decades as they drove gay kids to suicide, because now they feel victimized by the "bigot" label. SCREW THAT! They need to do something tangible for forgiveness and redemption.

Posted by: Brent | Sep 4, 2013 10:20:13 AM

7. Challenge delivered...

Now let's see what they do about it. I suspect that Dan, like myself, is REALLY tired of the vast majority of Xtians remaining silent, in contract to the teaching they espouse to follow. It will be interesting to see if this gains any traction.

Personally, I'm sick of anything related to religion.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Sep 4, 2013 10:27:15 AM

8. Great idea. It takes away a weapon in bigoted rhetoric, and let's people know that there's more than a right-wing fringe interpretation of the Bible (and I say that as an atheist).

Posted by: Tranquilo | Sep 4, 2013 10:32:10 AM

9. Well Duh! Watch Dan Savage pay himself through the nose to promote too....trophy husbands aren't cheap you know.....

Posted by: Ankerich | Sep 4, 2013 10:51:30 AM

10. I e-mailed a link to dan's website to two actively serving catholic priests who I think might be willing to make videos despite the flack they would take from the hierarchy.

Posted by: woody | Sep 4, 2013 11:02:02 AM

11. Not all christians are bigots.

ALL christians (or indeed anyone who believes in that 'god' thing) are wilfully stupid though.

It is unacceptable for a child older than about 10 to believe in Santa Claus.

Yet for some reason we have to make allowances and offer respect to morons who believe in some all-powerful, malevolent sky-fairy.

'God' does not exist.

Posted by: MaryM | Sep 4, 2013 11:02:02 AM

12. Gotta love me some Dan! Huge fan and another brilliant idea.

Posted by: Will | Sep 4, 2013 11:06:18 AM

13. You know what's amusing from these comments is that not all homos are the same either. Isn't that obvious.

Posted by: MIke | Sep 4, 2013 11:15:44 AM

14. @Woody, have your Catholic priest friends submit them directly through the NALT website. Thanks!!

Posted by: Evan Hurst | Sep 4, 2013 11:41:32 AM

15. I think some people are missing the point: this isn't a project to "defend Christians", but to show non-progressive Christians that they can make the great mental leap from the dark ages, give up the arhcaic and indefensible anti-LGBT bigotry and prejudice, and still maintain a "faith" or "religious/spiritual" angle that they apparently still need in life.

I think that's a terrific idea. I was lucky enough to be born into a family that made the conscious choice to join the United Church of Canada; non-dogmatic, humanist, progressive, LGBT supportive and celebratory, inclusive, with not on iota of that "this is the real one true faith and if you don't do what we say you're doomed and damned" nonsense.

I came out when I was in high school - my entire local church community had my back, and has ever since. they've been active with our PFLAG fundraising, they've been outspoken and visible allies for the LGBT communities, and a great many have joined my family marching with us in the pride parades. is it to show people that "you shouldn't hate Christians?" NO _ it's to show hateful Christians that they don't need to hate. to show those Christians that one not only "can" be LGBT-inclusive and supportive, but that one SHOULD BE. and ACTIVELY.

this is the angle it seems some commenters are ignoring, - either willfully or due to a knee-jerk response to religion. i get it, i understand the anti-religigious angle, completely. i'm an anti-deist; that said, you can't just sit there at your computer "hoping" that all the religious folks out there will just up and drop their beliefs.

WON'T HAPPEN.

what would help? showing them there are alternatives; they don't need to belong to a dogmatic hateful anti-LGBT exclusive prejudicial cult of a religion. there are many pro-Equality, inclusive spiritual outlets. I'm one of the few LGBT people whose religious background did not contribute to even ONE BIT of anxiety or pressure or angst about my being gay.

think on that. isn't that what we want for others? for them to be born into families and communities that are prepared to love them for who they are?

this project has the potential to do that - when you show people that they can hold on to the aspects of their chosen faith that provide them with comfort or hope (granted, if those happen...we all know a great many religions do nothing but promote fear and fear-based responses....) without any of the family-damaging non-reality dogmatic SIN OBSESSIONS, you start to eliminate perhaps the most major factor contributing to LGBT prejudice today.

i can't fathom how one could find something about that to be upset about.

again, this is not a project to save the image of Christians, but to help non-progressive Christians change their ways and mindsets by showing them how others have "kept the faith" and dropped the hate.

i encourage any and all of you to contribute to this project with your own video testimonials, sharing your own personal experiences with "Christianity" as an LGBT person.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 4, 2013 11:44:12 AM

16. Too little, too late. The question is: does anyone care anymore?

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 4, 2013 11:45:42 AM

17. I have always been surrounded by people of great faith, mostly Christian, many Jewish and a few Muslims. All of them preyed for me, and while a few may have preyed for a change in me that will never occur, I have generally been treated with the respect, understanding and love that friendship requires. I have been lucky but I have been a test for some of these friends, a test which they have passed. Whether this was more because of who I am or who they are, I'm not sure. I like to believe it took an equal amount of effort on all our parts.
    Because of my good friends and the faith they hold and which I respect, I thank Dan for his recognition of the goodness that can be, should be, and often is what faith is all about.

Posted by: StevyD | Sep 4, 2013 11:53:55 AM

18. I understand why he's doing this project. I don't think it will make a difference. The number of progressive christians is remarkably low given that there has been a concerted 90 plus year effort on the part of christian fundamentalists to hijack the religion. The ultimate goal being to form an evangelical fundamentalist theocracy in this country. That they are failing is what we should be focusing on. Until the few moderate voices speak up more loudly on their own any effort on our part to profile them will ultimately not help much.

Posted by: Robert M. | Sep 4, 2013 12:01:03 PM

19. maybe it will get the most vocal to stop and think. maybe not. i wonder though if you take away the peer pressure and people had the courage to speak up for themselves what would happen? and that's true for people of all faiths. if the think for a moment to themselves without the noise, how do they really feel about us?

Posted by: m | Sep 4, 2013 12:17:04 PM

20. Skip KIWI's blab (him again). It always improves my day when I do.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 4, 2013 12:34:46 PM

21. @TrollUFFDA - really? betcha can't intelligently articulate a specific objection to the content of what i wrote :D

hating me won't make your own life better, and won't make my life worse.

*elegant curtsy*

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 4, 2013 12:37:12 PM

22. I'm a committed, completely out, gay Christian. *Shocking* Yes, I claim Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. And the folks in my church - all 3,500 of them - love and support me unconditionally because they believe in Him and act like Him.

Posted by: Paul in Honolulu | Sep 4, 2013 12:50:17 PM

23. Ally building is what matters.

Dan understands this.

Making enemies of people that support us is what's hindered our progress.

There are extremist factions in every community; in ours there are the subset of people that are "militant atheists" (and are so extreme that most atheists don't even want to claim them) really no different than the fundamentalist Christians that insist on imposing their beliefs on us.

Religions reform all the time, Christianity has evolved over time, people who deny religion and religious people have had anything to do with are progress ARE LYING and have THEIR OWN AGENDA.

Don't fall for it.

Posted by: Pookie | Sep 4, 2013 1:12:23 PM

24. @Robert M. - It's not that the "number of progressive Christians is remarkably low". What's low is the number of progressive Christians willing to be as vocal as fundamentalist Christians. This initiative could help change that.

Posted by: RJ | Sep 4, 2013 1:32:27 PM

25. Okay, but its hard to know how honest they are being. I guess a public statement is helpful, but would they still vote for gay rights in private?

Posted by: anon | Sep 4, 2013 1:45:54 PM