Crime | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

NYC Gay Basher Appears in Court, Faces Up to 4 Years in Prison: VIDEO

A_lanier

Alfonso Lanier, charged with an attack on Michael Felenchak and his partner Peter Notman in NYC's Chelsea neighborhood in August appeared in court yesterday on charges of aggravated harassment and felony assault as a hate crime:

A grand jury will be asked to indict Lanier on a charge of assault as a hate crime, which would carry a maximum penalty of four years in prison, WCBS 880′s Irene Cornell reported.

Lanier's accomplices are still at large.

Watch CBS New York's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. that is such a punchable head

Posted by: danswon | Sep 19, 2013 11:06:01 AM

2. Those pretty lips are going to be put to good use in prison!

Posted by: SFshawn | Sep 19, 2013 11:37:01 AM

3. I never understood why gay bashers risk so much just to get a few laughs from bashing gays.

Posted by: Kev C | Sep 19, 2013 11:52:54 AM

4. I wonder where Derrick From Philly is to defend this guy's actions???

It's not his fault he did it, it's society's fault. Society is racist and so he isn't to blame.

Posted by: Zeus | Sep 19, 2013 12:29:42 PM

5. society fails many people, and of that many there are those who rise above the failings, and those who become a part of the problem.

from the racist self-hating homophobic cowards who don't lift a finger in the real world, and exist solely to spew their bigotry online, to the folks who did not have solid family lives, were left to themselves, and who found social outlets steeped in ignorance, violent macho-posturing...you get the idea.

they're actually rather similar - online cowardly trolls and guys like this gay basher in NYC - they both let the lousy family live they've had turn them into pathetic excuses for men.

they're both the victims of culture, and the victims of their own refusal to do something positive with the cards they've been dealt, and we see it here: some people feel so worthless that attacking others is all they have to make themselves feel as if they have any worth whatsoever.

it's a sad way to live. this guy is going to have a lousy time in prison. oh darn.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 19, 2013 12:38:17 PM

6. Kiwi - You're just sad that you can't be locked away in the same prison cell as him. Everyone knows you're obsessed with bottoming for black guys and you're a total apologist for their bad actions all the time. A black guy could murder your family, and you would find some way to defend him. It's quite sad, but it illustrates the clear mental illness you have.

Posted by: Zeus | Sep 19, 2013 12:53:59 PM

7. Not clear why my comments are so frequently removed from this blog...

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Sep 19, 2013 12:58:36 PM

8. I just wish he could stay there longer. We could use less thugs on the streets.

Posted by: Gast | Sep 19, 2013 12:59:19 PM

9. a "black guy" could murder my family, but that wouldn't mean i would then take issue with "black people". because i'm not a pathetic racist idiot.

my point is simple, Troll - your family didn't love and accept you, and rather than do what a great many other LGBT people do, and rise above it, you've let your families disdain for you poison your life.

much like this gaybasher who is on his way to jail.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 19, 2013 1:02:20 PM

10. @ "I wonder where Derrick From Philly is to defend this guy's actions???"

Find in the Towleroad archives where I've defended a Gay basher.

No I don't DEFEND Gay bashers, but I love to OFFEND racist queens.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 19, 2013 1:19:13 PM

11. @ ". A black guy could murder your family, and you would find some way to defend him."

No, Kiwi would find some way not to blame all Black people for the evil of a murderer--something your White supremacist azz is incapable of.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 19, 2013 1:21:47 PM

12. @DERRICK

"something your White supremacist azz is incapable of."

Actually, I'm a Filipino New Yorker, currently doing a study abroad program in Manila.

Aren't you the racist for assuming who I was?

Posted by: ZEUS | Sep 19, 2013 1:35:57 PM

13. Actully in Derrick's defense you don't have to be white to be a white supremicist. In fact there are several gay men of color in America who worship white men, even going as far as shunning people of their own race.

Posted by: Frank | Sep 19, 2013 1:52:09 PM

14. Actually in Derrick's defense you don't have to be white to be a white supremacist. In fact there are several gay men of color in America who worship white men, even going as far as shunning people of their own race.

Posted by: Frank | Sep 19, 2013 1:52:18 PM

15. Actually in Derrick's defense you don't have to be white to be a white supremacist. In fact there are several gay men of color in America who worship white men, even going as far as shunning people of their own race.

Posted by: Frank | Sep 19, 2013 1:52:18 PM

16. I just want to know what kind of lunacy has gripped our country when one can get 20 years in jail for a couple of joints, yet only FOUR for beating the hell out of someone because they belong to a social group one dislikes.

Posted by: MNBear | Sep 19, 2013 1:52:26 PM

17. Actully in Derrick's defense you don't have to be white to be a white supremicist. In fact there are several gay men of color in America who worship white men, even going as far as shunning people of their own race

Posted by: Frank | Sep 19, 2013 1:53:13 PM

18. sorry for the triple post.

Posted by: Frank | Sep 19, 2013 1:53:22 PM

19. Up to 4 years? Sounds like a pretty light sentence to me.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 19, 2013 1:56:33 PM

20. @MNBear - the same mentality that wants it to be harder for people to vote than to get a freakin' assault rifle.

the same mentality that puts a person in jail for years for petty theft, and rewards "white collar" crime with.....uh.... tax breaks and huge end of year bonuses?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 19, 2013 1:56:43 PM

21. @ "Aren't you the racist for assuming who I was?"

Not when you're spouting White supremacist sentiments. I wouldn't want to believe a Filipino could be on their level.

I have respect for Filipinos. Now, I've met one today who isn't worth my holding in that regard.

Racist? I didn't say Black people were superior to White people or that Whites are inferior to Blacks. Where's the racism at?

And White supremacists do have their allies. Now, I see they have them among Filipinos as well. Thanks for letting me know.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 19, 2013 2:01:23 PM

22. @Derrick - he ain't filipino. it's our usual miserable closetde white troll with massive daddy issues now using a "filipino" online persona.

cuckoo. cuckoo. cuckoo.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 19, 2013 2:04:50 PM

23. LOL...I think you're right, Kiwi. He got me.

@ Frank,

they just don't get it.

I remember when I was about ten I was going through my aunt's old Jet Magazines. I ran across the Emmitt Till story with the horrible photographs. It never occured to hate White people in general--ALL White people were not responsible.

Years later, I read "100 Years of Lynching". Again, it didn't make me despise ALL Whites--just the ones responsible.

But that's an important element of bigotry and racism: you pick the worst examples in a race or nationality, and you make the worst examples representative of that whole group.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 19, 2013 2:20:43 PM

24. sorry, "Emmett Till"

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 19, 2013 2:22:05 PM

25. 4 years may seem like a lite sentence, but for an assault, that's a long time in NYC. NYC is very liberal and loves criminals. It keeps the cops, DAs and judges employed. They love criminals and give them a slap on the wrist while disarming the innocent to be beaten and killed in the streets (I hate living in NYC and will be moving soon). Alfonso will be transfered to Rikers for a while, where he will be raped.. because the cops have it arranged for rapes to happen in Rikers. That's how the system works.

Posted by: Kev C | Sep 19, 2013 2:23:40 PM