Basketball | Gay Slurs | News | Sports | Tony Parker

NBA Player Tony Parker Apologizes for Using 'Fag' Slur During Eurobasket Semifinals: VIDEO

Parker

San Antonio Spurs player Tony Parker apologized over the weekend for saying that France was playing like "tapettes" (fags) during a match-up with Spain in the Eurobasket 2013 semifinals in which they were trailing by double digits, Spurs Nation reports.

Said Parker: "J'ai l'impression qu'on avait peur, qu'on jouait comme des 'tapettes.'"

Parker later apologized:

“I’d like to apologize to the gay community. I did not want to offend them. If I have offended the gay community, I apologize. It was not my intention at all. It is not right to say what I said I’m sorry. And apologize.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. If these blind item judgments are right, there may have been more than a bit of self-loathing involved from top suspect Tony Parker:

Posted by: Jeff | Sep 23, 2013 12:19:13 PM

2. At least they're apologizing. Small steps.

Posted by: Tigerama | Sep 23, 2013 12:25:13 PM

3. They're apologizing because they can't get away with not apologizing.

The fact that MAJOR athletes, big named athletes, are still using gay slurs without any recoil says a lot about the work that is still necessary in the world of sports.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Sep 23, 2013 12:31:25 PM

4. Good heavens! A basketball player who is fluent in French! And banged Eva Longoria.

Posted by: Ken | Sep 23, 2013 12:35:13 PM

5. Eurobasket?! LOL .... hoops aren't exactly what comes to mind.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 23, 2013 12:39:37 PM

6. “[...] If I have offended the gay community, I apologize. [...]”

When are the handlers of these people - or better yet, these people themselves – going to realize that including this sentence in their apologies makes it sound like they aren’t apologizing at all… The exact same apology with that sentence removed actually feels genuine and acceptable.
    What are they trying to convey with that phrasing… that they wouldn’t apologize if we all collectively said “meh… not offended..” or that there’s a way to take his slur as anything else than offensive? Truth is you did offend the gay community – that’s what you’re apologizing for… No need to wonder…

Posted by: PKLIFFORD | Sep 23, 2013 1:50:10 PM

7. Another thug sports player. They're all just a bunch of man-children. Morons with big bank accounts. I always find it hilarious that when they hit their 40s, most of them seem to be broke after insanely lavish spending habits and parasitic family + "posses" who suck them dry. Ha ha ha ha.

Posted by: Daymian | Sep 23, 2013 2:07:16 PM

8. He didn't actually say 'fag', the french 'tapettes' is less violent than 'fag' (for which we have 'pédé' pronounce 'payday' without the Ys) and is closer to 'sissies' or 'wussies' or 'wimps', and is normally applied in a derogatory manner to people you want to equate to effeminate homosexuals.

And @ken, Tony Parker is french, so, the correct exclamation would be: a french guy who can play basketball, incredible!

Posted by: Pierrot | Sep 23, 2013 2:07:59 PM

9. Message to David Stern.

The number of incidences where gay slurs are used in professional basketball is way down but unfortunately still present. Every month or so there's another instance of a player being caught and the process works itself out the same way. Forced apology, fine, second apology and let's put this behind us. Is the policy working? Is it working as well as it could?

How about this. The next time a player uses an anti-gay slur he is forced to do community service with LGBT kids who are bullied. To sit in on counseling sessions of young kids who have tried to take their own lives due to mistreatment fueled by language he uses. Let him see first hand the direct affects his words have on young LGBT kids.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Sep 23, 2013 2:10:15 PM

10. Derrick

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 23, 2013 2:35:31 PM

11. @ "Derrick"

Damn right. I wish I could sit on his French lap.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 23, 2013 3:02:51 PM

12. Nevermind. I looked up images of Tony. He's kinda' skinny. My fantasies will stay on the football field not the basketball court.

Oh, and he's Belgian, not French.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 23, 2013 3:29:45 PM

13. “I did not want to offend them”. “It was not my intention at all” – We don’t care what your intentions were, we only care about the consequences of your behaviours. Stop making excuses for yourself. Saying your homophobia was just ‘casual’ and not malicious doesn’t help your case.

“If I offended the gay community, I apologise” – There’s no need to qualify ‘if’, because CLEARLY we ARE offended. The conditional is self-serving, dummy. And you’re fooling no one but fellow str8 people and those gays who unfortunately don’t even know what a real apology looks like if they see one.

Thanks to Chescaleigh for making a “Getting Called Out: How to Apologise” video.
    The people who manage these ignorant assholes should watch this, and put its discourse into their approach when coaching outspoken anti-gays.

Posted by: IceBaron | Sep 23, 2013 4:38:07 PM

14. even gay men uses this word as a usual language in France, he's a nice guy and a great player !

Posted by: willy | Sep 23, 2013 11:38:53 PM

15. even gay men uses this word as a usual language in France, he's a nice guy and a great player !

Posted by: willy | Sep 23, 2013 11:38:53 PM

16. In france tapette means more cissy than fag, as willy said a lot of people use it (even me) everyday, and btw he said " WE played like cissies..."

Posted by: Mischa Cazeaux | Sep 24, 2013 3:56:46 PM