Iowa | News | News Clips | Religion

Pastor Raped Teen Boys To Help End Their 'Homosexual Urges': VIDEO

Brent

Youth pastor Brent Girouex from Council Bluffs, Iowa has admitted to having sex with teenage boys during his tenure at Victory Fellowship Church in order to "to help [them] with homosexual urges by praying while he had sexual contact with [them]," United Press International reports.

Girouex, 31, who is married with four children, was arrested last year on 60 counts of suspicion of sexual exploitation by a counselor or therapist:

In February Girouex confessed to Council Bluffs police detectives that he had sexual relations with four young men starting in 2007 to help them gain "sexual purity" in the eyes of God. However, at least eight men have come forward with complaints that the pastor molested them.

Girouex told investigators that the longest relationship he had with any of the victims lasted four years. He said that it started when the boy was 14 years old and that the "mutual" contact took place 25 to 50 times. The victim, who is now an adult, told investigators the real number of times was between 50 and 100 times.

Three of the victims who came forward told authorities the sexual encounters took place at Girouex's house. They all said that they went there to be helped with "sexual purity."

“When they would ejaculate, they would be getting rid of the evil thoughts in their mind,” Girouex allegedly told detectives.

VicA judge originally sentenced Girouex to 17 years in prison before he "suspended it to allow Girouex to get sex offender treatment and probation," according to KCCI News. Girouex will remain on probation for 5 years, the maximum time allowed by law. Girouex's wife however, thinks her husband should be in prison:

"If that's what it takes to get him away from people, then yes," said Erin Girouex. "I don't want (my children) anywhere near him."

Erin Girouex said that what they want is for other victims of sexual misconduct to stand up and speak out before it's too late.

"We just encourage other victims that you have what it takes, you have a voice, and to come forward and to report what's happened so it doesn't happen again," [Emily] Baker, [wife of one of the victims] said.

Erin Girouex is filing for divorce, but the hang-up is that her husband wants to see their children.

Watch a news report about the horrific crimes AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. A judge originally sentenced Girouex to 17 years in prison before he "suspended it to allow Girouex to get sex offender treatment and probation..."

You've gotta be kidding me! In addition to committing multiple counts of statutory rape on boys as young as 14, he was engaging in bogus "ex-gay" counseling and damaging them psychologically as well. And he gets PROBATION?!

I guess all you have to do is put "pastor" in front of your name, say you were doing it "for Jesus," and you can get away with just about anything.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 12, 2013 8:45:09 AM

2. This is why they should not let straight men be camp counselors or have anything to do with young boys. All straight men are pedophiles. In fact, I believe we should ban all straight men from being Boy Scout leaders. We can not trust straight men to stay away from our children on camping trips or in the showers.

Oh right...apparently that argument only makes sense when applied to gay men.

Posted by: ATLJason | Sep 12, 2013 8:54:31 AM

3. Actually, if America was serious about stemming 95% of molestation, rape, and sexual abuse cases, men shouldn't be in any positions of authority at all; women should be. (See: "Men Are Not Cost-Effective" by June Stephenson.)

I assume the pastor's "prayer" during sex was something like, "Oh God Oh God Oh God Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"?

Posted by: Dback | Sep 12, 2013 9:04:08 AM

4. And yet they still allow organizations to exist to victimize gay teens? Do we REALLY have to still fight to make these "businesses" illegal? If they aren't victimized externally they are victimized internally with reprogramming. These organizations are ALWAYS a draw for people looking for children whose spirits have been broken by society, yeah even it's so called "Christian" ones.

In many instances, these are CHILDREN. Yes, those the religious right would seek to protect by stripping their souls from them in the name of God and placing them in the path of someone else whose soul was stripped to the point they have turned into a predator.

Stop ruining souls! Yeah, even in the name of the "Lord". That's not the "Lord" and they all know it. These crimes will be the church's to answer for. Good luck with that explanation.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Sep 12, 2013 9:11:38 AM

5. He can get the treatment he needs in prison. Can't image the Iowa prison system doesn't have ways of giving him what he deserves. This is the most twisted "explanation" of "why I'm having sex with underage boys" I've ever heard. Appears, though, that the local church he worked at did not try to cover it up.

Posted by: jpeckjr | Sep 12, 2013 9:12:56 AM

6. The guy is a pedophile hiding behind preacher's robes. He belongs to sit on his rear end in jail for a long, long time.

If the guy had been doing the same with young girls, would the pastor have gotten off so easy.

Yet because he was a Xtianist and it was only boys, the judge in essence gave him a slap on the wrist.

Seems like the Catholic bishops are not the only ones who never have to fully account for their crimes.

Posted by: Continuum | Sep 12, 2013 9:18:29 AM

7. Maybe I'm a bad person but I think that paedophiles once caught should never be freed.

Posted by: lukebrux | Sep 12, 2013 9:35:42 AM

8. This would be hysterical if it weren't so horrible. As it is, this guy deserves to go to jail forever, then his fellow inmates can start to cure him of his evils.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 12, 2013 9:41:17 AM

9. Even atheists have been known to cry "Oh god!" when reaching orgasm. Sex is a very religious experience, that's why for some of these victims, the "prayer sessions" went on for years.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Sep 12, 2013 10:17:41 AM

10. Damn those liberals - infringing on the rights of religious freedom once again.

Posted by: David | Sep 12, 2013 10:19:06 AM

11. Look at this creep and imagine him touching you.

Without a second thought wrap him in chains and send him to Oman where he can stagger down the streets begging for water never to return.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 12, 2013 10:21:10 AM

12. How is he not in prison for the rest of his life?!???? This is jaw-droppingly appalling. This is a seriously warped man.

Posted by: Lucas H | Sep 12, 2013 10:46:47 AM

13. I find myself wondering if his victims were young girls would he still be escaping prison.

Is the severity dismissed b/c people wrongly see it as a 'gay-thing'?

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Sep 12, 2013 10:51:22 AM

14. This is somewhat old news. This guy was busted back sometime in 2011. Just recently a youth pastor in Iowa has been caught with underage girls. Maybe this is an Iowa thing.

Posted by: EnterTheGecko | Sep 12, 2013 11:04:49 AM

15. You have to hand it to him at least for the most novel excuse yet. I think I'll start mugging people to help cure them of their materialism.

Posted by: DW | Sep 12, 2013 11:47:34 AM

16. I think this demonstrates a severe communications problem between the victims and their parents. How is it that they went for 50 to 100 treatments? At no point did the parents attempt to discern what was going on? At no point did the victims try to explain what was happening to their parents? It begs credulity. Who was keeping silent and why?

Posted by: anon | Sep 12, 2013 12:04:46 PM

17. Truly disgusting. But, I'm always suspicious of "youth pastors".

Posted by: Daniel | Sep 12, 2013 12:21:25 PM

18. True Daniel. A closeted "straight" frat boy at my university, who flirted with me more aggressively than almost anyone I encountered during my college years, is now a "youth pastor" at some megachurch down south. Married to a beard with a couple daughters of course. I was afraid to respond to him at the time because I thought it might be a ploy by a homophobe who wanted to bash me, in retrospect I'm sure I was being overly cautious. I later found a web page he had built in the late 90s (before they were called blogs, probably at geocities LOL) in which he'd posted a bunch of mawkish poetry. He was definitely gay. It's a shame, he was hot back then but is now fat and unhappy looking.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Sep 12, 2013 12:42:30 PM

19. This reminds me of my 60-ish yr old former boss and practicing catholic from a Fortune 500 and self-proclaimed 'community company '. After his family finally forced him to end a 3 yr 'relationship' he had going on w/ a boy from his own son's high school class, he then began showing up on overnight biz trips (and share his room) with a cute teenage boy that he had picked up at the mall. Abercrombie, to be exact! Where the pedi's like to hang, I guess!
    So I made an appt and went to HR (which everyone avoided) and explained my discomfort when on these trips and the response from the closeted, very butch and hetro-married dyke in HR was a big surprise and left no room for discussion. ' What's the problem, he's married? '
    And I was then labeled a troublemaker.
    Of course this is only a few years after witnessing on my third day of employ at this corporate barnyard, the very professional and out lesbian (who hired me) be escorted to the door over utterly bogus and really pretty ridiculous Sexual H charges. On that day, the closeted married butch dykes from HR (the dept was a veritable cesspool of these weak women) marched us into a room and told us that if we were caught mentioning this evil lesbians name, we too would be immediately removed from the building.
    So yeah, who knew gag orders and pedophiles/pederasts would be welcome to thrive at this commonplace global brand aka ' the community company '.
    But ya gotta be catholic and married!.........and none of the gay marriage bull crap!!

Posted by: M2 | Sep 12, 2013 12:52:36 PM

20. the logic is insane. getting past the idea of curing someone being gay is bad enough. but you're going to do it by having gay sexual contact . . . . ugh what was this guy smoking for breakfast. did the parents know anything about this before? if i had a kid i would do everything to protect him. (of course if i had a gay kid i wouldn't be trying to cure him either). there isn't a sentence strong enough to pay for what he did. when are religious groups going to get over their obsession with stamping out anything gay? the sooner that happens there will be one less way for predators to be working close to children.

Posted by: m | Sep 12, 2013 4:10:25 PM

21. Sometimes I think we need to rethink the whole "respecting your elders" thing. I mean, as an immigrant" one of the thing I love about this country is the concept that respect is mutual.

Posted by: Carlos | Sep 12, 2013 5:30:24 PM

22. This is too sad to be funny but this is seriously twisted.

Posted by: jarago | Sep 12, 2013 6:35:54 PM

23. Probation for raping many young boys many times. That Judge should be tarred and feathered and then run out of Iowa.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 12, 2013 6:39:25 PM

24. Somewhat offtopic but interesting story, M2.

Posted by: emjayay | Sep 13, 2013 2:44:28 AM

25. The Lord works in mysterious ways. No big deal.

Posted by: A. Dude | Sep 13, 2013 11:33:28 AM