A$AP Rocky | Jason Collins | News

BigGayDeal.com

A$AP Rocky Apologizes to Jason Collins for Appearing Homophobic at the MTV VMAs: VIDEO

Asaprocky_collins

In an interview with The Stashed, A$AP Rocky apologized for the awkward introduction he gave of Macklemore's "Same Love" at the MTV VMAs when he took the stage with gay NBA player Jason Collins.

Said Rocky:

“I’m mad that my facial expressions was like that because I’m not homophobic at all, and that whole thing just came off real homophobic. I didn’t really notice it until I got home and saw it. I apologize to Jason for that, because people was laughing and s**t, and you know… I really don’t think that’s funny. I saw they were making all the memes and pictures and making fun of him. There’s people out there that think I was doing that to be funny, and truthfully I got gay people in my family. I don’t give a f**k if you gay or you not, I just found it odd that MTV wanted to stand me next to this ni**a when they are talking about gay people, that’s all. You know what I’m saying?”

Watch the moment, AFTER THE JUMP...

Rocky has spoken out in support of gay equality, telling Interview magazine in March:

"It makes me upset that this topic even matters when it comes to hip-hop, because it makes it seem like everybody in hip-hop is small-minded or stupid—and that's not the case. We've got people like Jay-Z. We've got people like Kanye. We've got people like me. We're all prime examples of people who don't think like that. I treat everybody equal, and so I want to be sure that my listeners and my followers do the same if they're gonna represent me."

Get More: 2013 VMA, Artists.MTV, Music

Comments

1. Is there any verb Rocky can conjugate?

Posted by: anon | Sep 11, 2013 9:18:23 AM

2. Is there any verb Rocky can conjugate?

Posted by: anon | Sep 11, 2013 9:18:23 AM

3. MTV is homophobic.

Posted by: Bob | Sep 11, 2013 9:40:33 AM

4. It sounds like a sincere apology for a misunderstanding of his body language while he was standing there waiting to do his bit, so no harm, no foul.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 11, 2013 9:47:34 AM

5. "I don’t give a f**k if you gay or you not, I just found it odd that MTV wanted to stand me next to this ni**a when they are talking about gay people, that’s all. You know what I’m saying?"

CLASSY!

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Sep 11, 2013 10:05:10 AM

6. "Is there any verb Rocky can conjugate?"

Why learn standard English when you earn millions a year? Just ask Donald Trump...or Paula Deen...or George W.

CALIBAN,

I think he was actually intimidated by Jason Collins size. He's not used to seeing Gay men who could whup that sh.t of him...in seconds.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 11, 2013 10:10:32 AM

7. Ooops, I forgot the apostrophe after "Jason Collins' size". I don't make millions a year--there's no excuse for my improper punctuation.

...wish I was a multi-million dollar Rapper then I wouldn't need no stinkin' 'postrophes.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 11, 2013 10:16:18 AM

8. I'm at least glad to hear that this has caused a stir. I was starting to think that I was the only person who noticed how awkward and uncomfortable that bit was. Was he not told in advance who he would be appearing with? And what is his issue with being put up there with a "ni**a when they are talking about gay people" if he doesn't have any issue with gay people?

Posted by: TampaZeke | Sep 11, 2013 10:37:12 AM

9. And I know Towleroad tries to be unbiased but this makes it sound like ASAP is some kind of ally.

Why are we such self loathers?? Rocky humiliates a professional gay man infront of millions, creates a huge internet stir, decides to talk about the matter weeks after it happens AFTER he is asked by some 3rd tier alt fashion black blog AND doesn't even apologise??

It's always been clear he is using the fashion community who made him and sustains him. I've never blamed him but blamed THEM for the foolishness of obsessing over these black rappers who won't even support gay rights or go anywhere near them in public.

Derrick, I know you will complain but being gay is seen as a joke in the black community. It is. The only people who come close to obsessing this much about gay people and constantly making fun of them are white religious trash but even then, it takes 2nd place to making fun of liberals.

Call it what you want but that is one big generic segment making fun of a minority of people. White religious trash is a smaller minority within a segment.

Anyway, when I saw all that stuff I got angry but shrugged. I see it on a daily basis in black social media with Frank Ocean.

Posted by: Rowan | Sep 11, 2013 11:06:40 AM

10. @ "Derrick, I know you will complain but being gay is seen as a joke in the black community. It is."

Rowan,

now you know that I know more about being Gay-bashed and ridiculed by Black folks than anyone who has ever visited this blog.
    That type of treatment dominated the first 34 years of my life, then I left my old neighborhood and it subsided. But every now and then it still happens--I still get that "dat's a f.ggot" expression from some ignorant motha' f.cka'.

Hell, I've been ridiculed by other Black Gays for being a "regular" on Towleroad...been called "snow queen", "Uncle Tom", "Steppin' Fetchit" (Steppin' was actually a brilliant comedian, but that's not their intended point).

But that doesn't mean I accept some White Gays' feelings of superiority over Black folks. Once or twice a week I read the comments on this blog and I have to say, "who the f.ck do these beotches think they are?"

It is absolutely appropriate to respond with anger to a Black homophobe as an individual. It is not appropriate to insult entire races or nationalities--be they Africans or Russians. It AINT right to do that, but it happens all the time here.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 11, 2013 11:31:38 AM

11. If Jay-Z and Kanye are the best hip hop can do, then yes, hip hop has a problem....

Posted by: Jem (truly outrageous) | Sep 11, 2013 12:19:33 PM

12. watch ASAP on the Kathy Griffin show (youtube) & see how he & Brown react when she asks about marriage equality--if an asian, etc. reacted that way when asked about blacks?!!.... he's got ALOT more explaining to do as far as i'm concerned--but i havent bought his mp3s yet, so he probly dont care

Posted by: whatEVER | Sep 11, 2013 12:37:15 PM

13. Rap is a homophobic artform. Any "gay rappers" are just fooling themselves into promoting homophobia. Anyone buying rap music is promoting homophobia.

Posted by: Kev C | Sep 11, 2013 12:58:50 PM

14. It's not very well-worded but I think his apology is sincere, especially considering his past declarations of support and anti-homophobia

Posted by: danswon | Sep 11, 2013 1:15:42 PM

15. Here comes DERRICK! Whenever Blacks behave badly, he's HERE TO THE RESCUE to defend them!

The biggest racist I've ever encountered.

Posted by: Joe | Sep 11, 2013 2:05:52 PM

16. ASAP Rocky?

WHO?

Never heard of him.

Posted by: Sean | Sep 11, 2013 2:06:41 PM

17. I did not know people actually still gave a fk about these awards shows. MTV has not played music videos in years. MTV is just a bunch of crap.

Posted by: Stephen | Sep 11, 2013 2:34:53 PM

18. @"The biggest racist I've ever encountered."

It doesn't surprise me that you use that false definition of racism invented by Archie Bunker types about 40 years ago. You know, that "convenient" definition that leaves out the belief in the inferiority of another race and the superiority of your own.

No, you use the new definition of racist--the one that goes like this, "you don't like White people--you're a racist!" Kinda' simplistic, Joe. If that were true then that would make me a bigot, but not a racist. A racist has to believe in the inferiority of a group of people because of their skin color and culture.

@ "Here comes DERRICK! Whenever Blacks behave badly, he's HERE TO THE RESCUE to defend them!"

Oh, really. I think Jason Collins behaved like a perfect gentleman. So, what's the problem, Joe?

:-)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 11, 2013 2:34:56 PM

19. No, I don't think Rocky is homophobic.

Insecure about being thought of as gay? Definitely. Clearly.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Sep 11, 2013 7:58:03 PM

20. I think I need to move to the States for a while in order for me to fully understand "race" relations down there... If this was any other "civilized" country, I doubt that a simple article such as this one, would trigger such vitriolic comments as those I often read on this site... Simply amazing!

Posted by: SHABAKA | Sep 12, 2013 1:49:00 AM