Vladimir Putin Speaks ‘Directly to the American People’

Vladimir Putin has written an op-ed in the NYT imploring the U.S. to not bomb Syria:

PutinRecent events surrounding Syria have prompted me to speak directly to the American people and their political leaders. It is important to do so at a time of insufficient communication between our societies….

…No one wants the United Nations to suffer the fate of the League of Nations, which collapsed because it lacked real leverage. This is possible if influential countries bypass the United Nations and take military action without Security Council authorization.

The potential strike by the United States against Syria, despite strong opposition from many countries and major political and religious leaders, including the pope, will result in more innocent victims and escalation, potentially spreading the conflict far beyond Syria’s borders. A strike would increase violence and unleash a new wave of terrorism. It could undermine multilateral efforts to resolve the Iranian nuclear problem and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and further destabilize the Middle East and North Africa. It could throw the entire system of international law and order out of balance….

More here.

Comments

1. litper says

And what he can say to American GAY people? Oh I get it. They are not the people. They’re just “propaganda”.

2. Corey Lovins says

“would increase violence and unleash a new wave of terrorism”

My that sounds awfully familiar there doesn’t it Vlad?

3. talibaptist says

“We are all different, but when we ask for the Lord’s blessings, we must not forget that God created us equal.”

Putin is shameless in his hypocrisy…

4. says

Yeah, Vlad, let’s allow anyone to use chemical weapons; let’s allow such weapons fall into Hezbollah hands……..who gives a sh**; Russia is not going to enforce the ban on chemical weapons, after all you’re too busy encouraging gay-bashing by your laws marginalizing and denigrating gays in Russia…..
    We’re all equal ?
    Seriously ?
    I’m sure “All Out ” Russia must be puking at you two faced hypocrisy.
    You, Putin, are a power crazed assassin.

5. Jase says

He may be a hypocrite (and he is), but it doesn’t change the fact that much of what he says is true — particularly in regards to international opinion regarding the U.S.

There’s a real issue when you claim to be the leader of the free world and hypocrites like Putin have ample opportunity — especially as of late — to point out your own hypocrisies.

What does this prove? That we MUST do better ourselves if we want any kind of credibility in the world.

6. MIke says

Did you see NBC’s Richard Engel’s interview with the “rebel” we’re “supporting”? How glorious it is to die for Allah, and he was wearing a mask but when Engel asked him about US support Engel said “Wait, I can see you laughing.”

7. Lucas H says

Although I generally despise Putin, I think he’s right about this. I think we really, really need to back the hell off of Syria. The situation looks WAY too explosive.

8. Fenrox says

What a load, he is 100% wrong about international sentiment, that is an ancient and public way of looking at international politics, it’s all about money now. Mind you I don’t want or think an attack on Syria is a good thing but there is no way that we would get direct fallout for it.

Indirect, yes, we will always be afflicted by the consequences of our terrible actions.

9. Lucas H says

IDK @Fenrox, there are some pretty serious international players and stakes involved. I have no idea whether the government’s motivation is money, oil, human rights, or all of the above. I’m surprised you think the fallout will be “indirect” since really, that depends on other factors. I’m sure the parents, children, and family of our soldiers have a different measure of what qualifies “indirect fallout.” Considering the responses that have come from Syria and it’s allies, I don’t even think it is even possible for us to make a “surgical strike” and get out of there. We can’t just, like, give Assad a spanking for using chemical weapons and then put him in time out. I suspect that if we take any military action, things will go from very bad to much, much worse for everyone involved on all sides.

10. anon says

I’m not sure what he’s hoping to accomplish, the American people don’t want to bomb Syria either. What political pressure does he think we can apply on top of the existing poll numbers?

11. simon says

If Putin and Obama are serious, they should push Syria and rebels to settle their difference and reach a compromise instead of supplying them with weapons.