News | Zac Efron

BigGayDeal.com

Zac Efron Went to Rehab for Cocaine and Ecstasy, is Good Now

Efron

Zac Efron spent some time in rehab earlier this year, TMZ reports:

We're told the problem spiraled out of control during the filming of Seth Rogen's movie "Neighbors," (above) which was shot during a narrow time frame beginning in April. Sources tell us Zac -- who also starred in the movie -- was a no-show on a number of days.  As one source connected with the film tells us, "It was common knowledge he was struggling with cocaine."

Three other sources confirm ... Zac's problem was rooted in cocaine, but say he also dabbled in Molly -- a pure form of Ecstasy, and a popular drug in clubs and raves.

E! News adds:

"He's healthy, happy and not drinking," one source said. "He's taking time to focus on working."

Comments

1. I'm asking why on earth someone who has everything, money, talent and good looking would fall in that. I guess it's a Hollywood way of life.

Posted by: lukebrux | Sep 18, 2013 7:53:59 AM

2. I hope he keeps handling the problem.

Posted by: Mike in the tundra | Sep 18, 2013 8:19:30 AM

3. I heard through an actor friend a few months back that Zac had a problem. Glad to see he's got himself together.

And you can never repost that photo too many times!

Posted by: Richie | Sep 18, 2013 8:29:29 AM

4. I can't imagine why any parent would risk their child's future by allowing them to get into the Hollywood system. Yet another story of a child star gone wild. If he can cope with his addictions, he's stronger than most, and I wish him all the best, but maybe Hollywood should just ban child actors in the future. How many more train wrecks do we need?

Posted by: Graphicjack | Sep 18, 2013 8:45:23 AM

5. Another River Phoenix type situation. Shame.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Sep 18, 2013 9:04:14 AM

6. Another reason to hate Seth Rogan. I am happy that Zac is better. I hope he can stay that way. Somebody needs to keep Seth Roagan away from James Franco!!

Posted by: Bobby F | Sep 18, 2013 9:07:51 AM

7. Do people actually fall for these PR campaigns? It's just sorta interesting how many former child stars trying to change their image and get adult roles suddenly reveal they were in rehab six months ago.

People don't do E sitting at home by themselves. There would have been photos everywhere if he were rolling in a club.

(Of course, I thought the same thing about Cory Monteith, and he choked.)

Posted by: crispy | Sep 18, 2013 9:15:12 AM

8. If he keeps on doing drugs, his hot body and pretty face will change real fast.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 18, 2013 9:26:59 AM

9. It's not just a Hollywood thing, people in all walks of life have addiction. Alot of older people have addictions as well. Iam just happy it seeked help, and hope he stay clean.

Posted by: misael | Sep 18, 2013 9:28:03 AM

10. It's not easy to be young and famous. That said, drugs are wide and serious global problem.

Posted by: Matt27 | Sep 18, 2013 9:58:49 AM

11. Sad, drugs take away way more than they give.

Posted by: Jay | Sep 18, 2013 10:05:44 AM

12. It's fun to watch the PR machine in Hollywood at work.
    Some get in front of the speed ball, others behind it.

Think he'll come out looking even more interesting, which
    seems to be his overall challenge with audiences. Pretty
    doesn't always lead to interesting on its own.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 18, 2013 10:33:11 AM

13. Real people having serious drug problems don't usually stay pretty while it's happening. So either the standards for being a mess have been lowered (or is it raised?) or it's a crock.

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 18, 2013 11:05:48 AM

14. I doubt this is PR. I've seen comments claiming that on other tabloid pages as well, but I don't believe it. Being in recovery isn't going to help his career, unless he wants to become famous for being a hot mess in the tabloids like a few others.

Like others have mentioned, addiction happens to all kinds of different people from all walks of life. And the disease doesn't give a **** whether you have other plans (promoting a movie, going to school, buying a home, catching up on Sons of Anarchy) or not.

Posted by: Lucas H | Sep 18, 2013 11:54:10 AM

15. "It's not easy to be young and famous."

Really, why not? I'd happily trade my M-F desk job to do a movie once a year.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 18, 2013 11:56:46 AM

16. Such hard-hitting news for the LGBT community. What a shame.

Posted by: David Glassman | Sep 18, 2013 12:14:11 PM

17. Hagatha,
    You are wrong. Many people with severe drug addictions don't have undergo drastic physical changes. Cory Monteith is a good example. The problem with many anti-drug campaigns is that they give people a false understanding of what drug addiction looks like by only showing the most extreme cases, like the Faces of Meth pictures. While those campaigns may be effective in scaring people away from drugs, they also cause people to think that's what every person with a drug addict looks like. Many people with drug addictions still look like regular people, but they often don't benefit from early intervention due to misperceptions about what addicts look like.

Posted by: John | Sep 18, 2013 12:18:17 PM

18. John - I wasn't talking about the visible effects of meth. I was talking about what cocaine does to people, and I know what I am talking about. I wasn't talking about teeth falling out of your head, I was talking about "You look like crap." You know, that young guy with the stayed up all night and is beat looks kind of cute the first couple of times, but as I once said of the Castro: They have gone from dressing like they work in a gas station to looking like they work in a gas station.

Staying up all night, doing coke, balancing it with liquor and pot, taking librium or elavil so you don't jump out of your skin waiting for the night to fall - DOESN"T LOOK GOOD ON YOU.

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 18, 2013 12:24:26 PM

19. I hope that he took care of his issues and is comitted to staying off drugs. And this is not just a hollywood issue. Drug addiction can happen to anyone, regardless of age, sex, sexual orientation, race, socioeconomic status, etc. Props to him for overcoming the addiction!

Posted by: Luke | Sep 18, 2013 12:50:52 PM

20. PLANTED STORY

He has a movie out in which he ditches his clean-cut Ken doll image to be a hell-raising fratboy in 'Neighbors' and this story is a bunch of crap media set-up to make him look dangerous and edgy, just like Miley Cyrus' twerking fiasco.

Posted by: Chaz | Sep 18, 2013 12:50:55 PM

21. "Another reason to hate Seth Rogan. I am happy that Zac is better. I hope he can stay that way. Somebody needs to keep Seth Roagan away from James Franco!!"

His drug problem became an issue during filming, not because of Rogen. The issue was obviously pre-existing to an extent.

Posted by: Nat | Sep 18, 2013 1:30:19 PM

22. I know I will get slammed for this, but the VAST majority of people who use cocaine and ecstasy do so without becoming addicts. Just like those who use alcohol. Myself and my partner and most of our friends are examples of this. That said, I am older now and just like drinking to excess, I have had to cut back to almost zero with the party favors as well due to recovery times....

Posted by: Mikey DallasM | Sep 18, 2013 2:06:11 PM

23. Every time I see that pic I get an instant hard-on. I couldn't care less if he does drugs or not.

Posted by: danswon | Sep 18, 2013 2:53:16 PM

24. Anyone who says that someone can fall that deep so recently and is “healthy, happy and not drinking” is bullshitting. Addiction is a serious problem that people has to struggle with their whole life, even more when the problem was SO recent. How many cases we have read that they “purportedly are now recovered” to later read they fell again or even died? Did anyone forget about the Glee guy, just as the example out of the many out there? Addiction is no game; don’t come with such bulshitty statements to clean the actor’s reputation. Reality wins over. Always.

Posted by: SAYTHETRUTH | Sep 18, 2013 3:44:00 PM