Bryan Singer | Hugh Jackman | Ian McKellen | News | X-Men

Here's the 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' Trailer: VIDEO

Xmen

Director Bryan Singer spoke about the trailer with MTV News:

"I asked for something emotionally driven for this first piece, to just reintroduce characters and the stakes. It's got plenty of action and scope, but I think at it's core to remind audiences of the world, the stakes, and the characters, so it was nice to lead with a piece like this. To be honest, I was very fond of the 'Man of Steel' trailer. I felt really felt that it captivated the heart of that character. I wanted something similar to that."

Of Mystique, he says: "It's much, much closer, from the hairstyle to her agility. She hasn't quite become the cold assassin that Rebecca was, but she's headed on that course. It's much more closer to that character from 'X1' and 'X2,' from the innocent character that she was in 'First Class.'"

And of Wolverine: "I felt that enough had happened and that even Wolverine is getting a bit beaten down and haggard in this new world. I thought it would be appropriate to bring in the famous gray around the temples that he had in the comic. I really like that."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Wolverine

Comments

1. I'm. so. there.

Posted by: RONTEX | Oct 30, 2013 10:20:46 AM

2. Ughhhh

its phoenix, Jean Gray's daughter with the help of Kitty Pride who is supposed to travel backwards in time to prevent the rise of the sentinels.... not wolverine

Was looking foreword to this 1 but now Leary of how much they will diverge from cannon

Posted by: Moz's | Oct 30, 2013 10:35:27 AM

3. Oooh, I got a chill! Fingers crossed that it is as good as the trailer makes it look.

Posted by: Dave | Oct 30, 2013 11:11:58 AM

4. This looks tremendous. I just hope (I'm about to fanboy) that they do something to redeem Rogue after X3.

God damn you, Brett Ratner!

Posted by: Mikey | Oct 30, 2013 11:37:43 AM

5. I sometimes dont understand y people think that these movies are supposed to follow the comics, i mean they are separate stories. I mean there is also one story where Xavier's son goes back in time to stop Magneto. They're are movies using the comics not following it word for word

Posted by: Bernard | Oct 30, 2013 11:40:15 AM

6. bernard

worrying about adhering somewhat to cannon is because the cannonical story is a great story as vs lets glorify wolverine some more

the utter desolation of a world overtaken by the sentinels, the concentration camps for mutants (which didn't seem to appear in this clip)harkeinging to reality nazi concentration camps, jean gray and scott's daughter being turned into a hound to hunt down other mutants and them either being killed on the spot or dragged off to camps, the x-men all dieing against sentinels in a last bit gambit to get kitty pride and rachel grey into the nimrod lab and sending rachel back in time to prevent the rise of the sentinels

the angst over rachel dealing with a world wher her mother is dead before she can ever be born thus a paradox....rachels angst over her past of being a hound and hunting down fellow mutants

etc etc

what the clip shows is lets highlight abglorify wolverine thus dumming down the more complex issues and great story that was/ is the canonical days of future past

and Bishop being shown in the clip being from an entirely different time line from days of future past

& LOL on this long post, i'm obviously a fanboi

Posted by: Moz's | Oct 30, 2013 11:55:02 AM

7. Bernard: Yes and no. There a tons of alternative timelines in the Marvel Universe. For example, the one where Legion kills Xavier accidentally instead of Magneto is called The Age of Apocalypse. There is one called Days of Future Past, like this movie is called, but as MOZ mentioned above this storyline deviates RADICALLY & HEAVILY from that. There have been deviations of DoFP before but all of those storylines have had different names (ex. "Days of Future Past Perfect".)

Posted by: Vince | Oct 30, 2013 12:10:52 PM

8. I would prefer Kitty to time travel, but again the main storyline was given to a male lead, Wolverine. The movie doesn't have to follow the comic verbatim, but I'm tired of Wolverine.

Posted by: Oliver | Oct 30, 2013 1:13:35 PM

9. These movies need to quit focusing on Wolverine and start putting others in the spotlight. Ellen Page/Kitty could easily have handled a starring role in this. Marvel hangs all their $ on Wolvie and I'm getting kind of tired of him (i love Hugh Jackman and the character, but c'mon... move on).

Posted by: johnnyP | Oct 30, 2013 1:19:42 PM

10. ..and LOL @ MOZ. #geeksrule!

Posted by: johnnyP | Oct 30, 2013 1:20:48 PM

11. So this is based on the X-Men story of the same name "Days of Future Past"? I wonder what changed Bryan Singer's mind in getting involved. I'm actually surprised he decided to go back to this certain universe considering the backlash when he signed up with Warner Bros. for the Superman remake.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Oct 30, 2013 1:55:27 PM

12. SQUEEE! I can't wait for this to come out in theaters. Barring unforeseen tragedy, I'll be there at midnight for the opening.

Posted by: sparks | Oct 30, 2013 2:16:47 PM