Morrissey Describes First Relationship with a Man in New Autobiography

While Smiths frontman Morrissey has always been coy about his sexuality, he describes his first "serious relationship" in his just-publiched Autobiography, and it was with a man, the Guardian reports:

MorrisseyMorrissey writes movingly about the two-year relationship. "Jake and I neither sought not needed company other than our own for the whirlwind stretch to come," he writes. "Indulgently Jake and I test how far each of us can go before 'being dwelt in' causes cries of intolerable struggle, but our closeness transcends such visitations."

Morrissey never specifies whether they were lovers, but talks of sharing hotel suites, of being photographed with his head "resting on Jake's exposed belly", and of Jake bringing him tea in the bath.

He also recounts an exchange at an airport. "'Well,' says the woman in the British Airways lounge, 'you're either very close brothers or lovers.' 'Can't brothers be lovers?' I imprudently reply – always ready with the pointlessly pert, whether sensible or not."

He also discusses his lack of interest in girls:

"Girls remained mysteriously attracted to me," he writes, "and I had no idea why, since although each fumbling foray hit the target, nothing electrifying took place, and I turned a thousand corners without caring … Far more exciting were the array of stylish racing bikes that my father would bring home."

Also, Nico Hines at The Daily Beast has pulled out 13 of what he says are the book's juiciest moments.

Comments

1. Jack M says

I had to order this from Amazon.UK because I couldn’t get a copy in the US, so I am breathlessly waiting for mine to arrive. I love his prose.

2. crispy says

His prose is amazing.

I suspect anybody who has trouble reading it hasn’t had much reading experience beyond Highlights magazine.

3. Walt NYC says

JACK M & EO: Same here! Got an email saying my copy was “dispatched.” Can’t wait to read it.

4. UFFDA says

KENNEDY – you may be right, that cover photo would suggest same. But he is/was a fine and original talent, and now an evocative writer as well.

5. UFFDA says

6. Robert says

I love his music (well, the 80s stuff anyway) but my god he is the most pretentious, obnoxious celebrity not named Kanye.

7. bandanajack says

the description of chrissie hynde had me in stitches, probably will off and on for days…

8. shyne says

Please, his most recent concert at Radio City was an utter disappointment. KENNEDY has it right; Morrisey’s self-aggrandizing soliloquies have become boring and pointless.

9. Kris says

Later in the book he also briefly details a relationship he had with a younger man in Rome from 2006-2007.