Film | News | Roger Ross Williams | Uganda

BigGayDeal.com

Filmmaker: Ugandan Pastors Tried to Pray My Gay Away — VIDEO

Godlovesuganda

Roger Ross Williams, the documentarian behind the new film God Loves Uganda, describes to The Hollywood Reporter the moment during production that he realized a group of anti-gay Ugandan pastors knew that he was gay:

WilliamsTwo-thirds of the way through filming, Williams' worst fear became a reality when an e-mail was sent to Ugandan religious leaders outing Williams as being gay and part of the "gay agenda." "One of the biggest anti-gay pastors invited me to his house for dinner. And I got there and thought, 'Oh my God, this is an ambush.' The pastors who are fighting the spread of homosexuality were all sitting there, not smiling. They pulled out the e-mail and said, 'We know that you are a homosexual.' I was terrified because I'd watched them hold up Bibles and say, 'This book says these people must be killed.' I was silent," Williams says, then pauses, simulating a moment that must have felt like it lasted an hour. " 'But, Roger, we're going to help you, we're going to cure you.' They then just started praying over me."

Watch the powerful trailer for God Loves Uganda, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The primitiveness of some societies! Pathetic!

Posted by: Dan Cobb | Oct 31, 2013 2:35:06 PM

2. The average IQ in Uganda is 73... borderline retarded. For comparison, the IQ of Koko the gorilla is 70.

Posted by: Endora | Oct 31, 2013 2:36:56 PM

3. @ DAN CORN COBB & ENDORA (Rick/David Hagatha Hearne):

And what's the average penis size of White racist b.tches? 4 inches?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 31, 2013 2:45:28 PM

4. We can criticize the policies and attitudes in these countries without stooping to racist cracks. Seems to be the stock-in-trade of some folks on Towleroad.

Posted by: Albert | Oct 31, 2013 2:48:29 PM

5. I'm sure the prayers worked real well. Roger Ross Williams is a very brave man, who clearly has more cojones and neurons than many commenters here.

Posted by: DavidR | Oct 31, 2013 4:32:37 PM

6. I appreciate the film but I don't think I could handle watching it - too depressing. sometimes these documentaries seem a bit too emotionally manipulative for my tastes...but I guess the reality is that it is depressing... I want to believe there is hope though.

Posted by: steve | Oct 31, 2013 10:09:12 PM

7. I've seen this movie - it's chilling - and the Towleroad commenters are missing the point yet again. The movie isn't about Ugandan pastors, it's about the Christian Right in the United States of America targeting Uganda in their quest to eradicate homosexuality. They are building churches and schools in Uganda, and then instilling anti-gay HATRED in an entire generation of an uneducated nation. Pay attention people. And Roger Ross Williams is very, very brave.

Posted by: BrianNow | Nov 1, 2013 12:32:54 AM

8. I've seen this movie - it's chilling - and the Towleroad commenters are missing the point yet again. The movie isn't about Ugandan pastors, it's about the Christian Right in the United States of America targeting Uganda in their quest to eradicate homosexuality. They are building churches and schools in Uganda, and then instilling anti-gay HATRED in an entire generation of an uneducated nation. Pay attention people. And Roger Ross Williams is very, very brave.

Posted by: BrianNow | Nov 1, 2013 12:32:54 AM