Facebook | Gay Marriage | Video | YouTube

Straight Man Shares Emotional Story of Being 'Defriended' Over Gay Brother's Wedding: VIDEO

Defriended

David Stevens recently celebrated the wedding of his younger brother and his partner, proudly sharing pictures of the two happy husbands on his Facebook page.  A few days later, he received this message from a 'friend' of his on the social media site:

Hey David, I am removing you from my friends list. Sorry man, that latest post is way over the top. Homosexuals joining in holy matrimony? I don't think so. The holy bible speaks out against homosexuality and speaks highly of holy matrimony between a man and a woman. It's nothing more than a slap in the face to those who choose God's word for homosexual s to join in a holy marriage. I'm only defriending you so I don't have to look at your anti-God stuff anymore -- nothing personal.

It was a wake-up moment for Stevens, who says he went from supporting his brother to truly understanding what gay and lesbian people go through every day when they face rejection and intolerance simply because of the way they were born.  "I love him," Stevens says of his brother at the end of an emotional video about the experience he posted to YouTube.  "And love wins.  Period."

Check out David Stevens's full video about his brother's wedding and the Facebook message he received, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. THE BIBLE SAYS MANY THINGS TAHT MOST PEOPLE HAVE NO CLUE OF AND I'M WILLING TO BE HIS FRIEND ID ONE OF THEM. I SAY GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH. YOU DON'T NEED A FICKLE FRIEND LIKE THAT.

Posted by: WHO CARES | Oct 1, 2013 10:20:40 PM

2. "Nothing personal"? How much more personal can it get.

Posted by: Alan | Oct 1, 2013 10:21:49 PM

3. CORRECTION: THE BIBLE SAYS MANY THINGS THAT MOST PEOPLE ARE UNAWARE OF. I'M WILLING TO BET HIS FRIEND IS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE. GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH!

Posted by: WHO CARES | Oct 1, 2013 10:22:10 PM

4. I think it wonderful that David supports and loves his brother so much....but after all these years, it is an intolerant Facebook post that he has a wake up moment? Am I missing something here? He did not get this empathy when his brother was critically ill and did not learn that other couples may not have medical decision rights if they were not prearranged? I am guessing he never saw his brother being bullied, teased or treated differently when they growing up. There is something about this video that does not seem right.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Oct 1, 2013 10:25:32 PM

5. Times are changing, but not as much as we think. Keep defending yourselves. You'll spend a lot of time doing it.

Posted by: GH | Oct 1, 2013 10:29:48 PM

6. Here's a cookie, go buy yourself some shampoo, shabby street urchin.

Posted by: Kev C | Oct 1, 2013 10:37:35 PM

7. I thank him for his empathy. It's not okay to treat others this way.

Posted by: Jay | Oct 1, 2013 10:49:52 PM

8. Angelachaning,gh,kevc;

Troll shills shilling for their blood money. Next you'll want to recover all our gold fillings...

Posted by: benHer | Oct 1, 2013 11:13:15 PM

9. Would love to have him as a brother....

Posted by: Rob | Oct 1, 2013 11:14:37 PM

10. Many people presume to profess empathy when they lack the lived experience to comprehend the enormity of homophobia, especially when its origin is a friend or family member. I commend David Stevens both for this video, and for having the discernment to realize that he could only truly EMPATHIZE with his brother after directly experiencing the emotional impact of the homophobe's rejection, fear and loathing.

Sympathy is the most we can fairly expect from our allies; empathy is hard-earned. You would do well to remember that, ANGELACHANNING.

Posted by: Matthew | Oct 1, 2013 11:18:11 PM

11. Smells a little fishy.....

Posted by: Ankerich | Oct 1, 2013 11:26:16 PM

12. A great ally in the fight for equality. Progress happens one mind at a time.

Posted by: Albert | Oct 1, 2013 11:31:54 PM

13. Benher, I am puzzled why applying a little critical thinking about a video makes one a troll? As I said, I believe he is being supportive, however, to post such a video is a bit odd to me. But then again I use the name of the matriarch of Falcon Crest as my screen name, so what the hell do I know? ;-)

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Oct 1, 2013 11:32:56 PM

14. He deleted this video from his personal youtube channel like 1-2 days ago. I wonder why.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Oct 1, 2013 11:35:36 PM

15. If someone is going to "defriend" you because you attended a gay wedding, then you really didn't need that person as a friend in the first place. They might think they're punishing you, but they really just saved you the effort of defriending them yourself.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 1, 2013 11:45:49 PM

16. If someone is going to "defriend" you because you attended a gay wedding, then you really didn't need that person as a friend in the first place. They might think they're punishing you, but they really just saved you the effort of defriending them yourself.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 1, 2013 11:45:49 PM

17. If someone is going to "defriend" you because you attended a gay wedding, then you really didn't need that person as a friend in the first place. They might think they're punishing you, but they really just saved you the effort of defriending them yourself.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 1, 2013 11:45:49 PM

18. If someone is going to "defriend" you because you attended a gay wedding, then you really didn't need that person as a friend in the first place. They might think they're punishing you, but they really just saved you the effort of defriending them yourself.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 1, 2013 11:45:49 PM

19. If someone is going to "defriend" you because you attended a gay wedding, then you really didn't need that person as a friend in the first place. They might think they're punishing you, but they really just saved you the effort of defriending them yourself.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 1, 2013 11:45:49 PM

20. If someone is going to "defriend" you because you attended a gay wedding, then you really didn't need that person as a friend in the first place. They might think they're punishing you, but they really just saved you the effort of defriending them yourself.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 1, 2013 11:45:49 PM

21. If someone is going to "defriend" you because you attended a gay wedding, then you really didn't need that person as a friend in the first place. They might think they're punishing you, but they really just saved you the effort of defriending them yourself.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 1, 2013 11:45:50 PM

22. I think that defriending is the moral equivalent of "I'm not speaking to you!" It's childish.

Posted by: Hagatha | Oct 2, 2013 12:08:17 AM

23. OMG, fury, 8 posts all the same ? Really ?

The vid made me cry when he started crying.

Posted by: Pookie | Oct 2, 2013 12:08:46 AM

24. It would not even occur to me to tell my brother that some loon defriended me on Facebook over his wedding let alone make an emotional video about it. I would use the opportunity to find out what other things my brother endured and give him unconditional love without the YouTube video. This seems to be too attention seeking and too Up With People/Upworthy. I now await my wrath.

Posted by: TowsonMdGuy | Oct 2, 2013 12:16:26 AM

25. I found this sweet and moving. I don't know why I'm surprised by the usual bile often found here by the local seahags sharpening their fangs, but I am. I feel very sorry for you pathetic shrews. Do you really have no warmth left in your soul? Very sad.

Posted by: Rocco | Oct 2, 2013 12:27:35 AM