Gay Marriage | Hawaii | Neil Abercrombie | News

BigGayDeal.com

Hawaii Governor Signs Marriage Equality Bill into Law: VIDEO

Abercrombie

Hawaii Governor Neil Abercrombie has signed the marriage equality bill into law. Marriages will start on December 2.

Watch the full ceremony video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video streaming by Ustream

Comments

1. Hijack! If you hate these terrible comments that undermine all efforts on this site, it's time to complain to Andy directly! If you want to help FIX THIS, please email/tweet/FB Andy and ask him to upgrade these comments. At the very least lets get a post that starts a discussion on it!

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 13, 2013 2:50:12 PM

2. @Fenrox

Your incessant copy/paste of the same rant is way more irritating than some of the negative comments posted on this blog. "ask him to upgrade these comments", I don't know for sure, but maybe, just maybe Andy doesn't want to start censoring his site. If you hate it that much PLEASE go away and find another site to complain about!!!

Posted by: Mark | Nov 13, 2013 3:36:19 PM

3. hawaii, where the m= struggle really began .... this is extra sweet

Posted by: unokhan | Nov 13, 2013 3:43:45 PM

4. If all the trolls leave and nobody can make every comments section about the trolls, then who will there be left to mock?

First, they came for the trolls...

Seriously, though, of course the comments section here is usually a sewer, and it doesn't have to be, so that's either by design or neglect. If the owner thinks trolls generate page hits and interesting, thoughtful, sane dialogue does not, then guess which one will win?

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Nov 13, 2013 3:57:51 PM

5. Abercrombie is a nice guy.

Posted by: woody | Nov 13, 2013 4:00:25 PM

6. @Mark

I disagree. Fenrox's comments are nothing compared to the hatred and garbage that spews forth on the comments of this site every single damned day. There is a difference between censorship and fostering a community. By just having an "anything goes" attitude, Andy is actually preventing real discussion, because the same trolls appear day after day, in every single thread, spouting the same garbage, over and over and over. I've given up trying to get Andy to do anything. Hell, he won't even spell check his posts before he makes them, what are the odds that he'll hire someone, or even get a volunteer, to moderate comments to foster a real community?

Posted by: Eric | Nov 13, 2013 4:02:26 PM

7. For those saying the trolls deserve a place here, Andy HAS gone on record saying that he is VERY UPSET with the comment sections here and has been working to change it. I just assume it's really expensive and that's why it hasn't happened yet.

Posted by: Robert | Nov 13, 2013 4:12:16 PM

8. Then lets donate money, I would absolutely donate to making these comments better. He needs to do a post about this.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 13, 2013 4:14:48 PM

9. I was a huge towleroad fan for years but couldn't keep coming back because of the awful comments. I love to engage with folks and have been doing so since I first signed onto a bbs with my 300 baud modem for my Commodore 64.

*places cane on the floor*

I've only recently started checking it out again semi-regularly. I love the news that Mr. Towle brings to the site and I'm so tempted to respond and debate and share, but I just fear more of the awful behavior that caused me to take this site out of my favorites so long ago.

Any effort would definitely be appreciated.

Posted by: Rey | Nov 13, 2013 4:25:40 PM

10. I know it's off topic -- but I totally agree re comments. They need a serious upgrade. People shouldn't be able to post endless streams of crap here with impunity. It is demoralizing and degrades what could otherwise be a respectable news source for our community.

(I intentionally said 'respectable' instead of 'serious' because I don't think it needs to strive to be the latter. I like the mix of news that Andy posts here, from the heavier stuff to the more lighthearted)

I don't know if it is financially prohibitive for Andy to upgrade, or if the free-for-all generates more page hits (which in itself is a financial issue, for advertising $$). But whatever the holdup, it needs to be resolved. AmericaBlog, GoodAsYou, and others have figured out a much better system.

Posted by: Lars | Nov 13, 2013 4:36:32 PM

11. Fenrox said: "Then lets donate money"
    A fool and his money...
    With the gazillion ads Andy has on his site I highly doubt it's a matter of cost. If he wanted it changed he would change it. Go elsewhere if you are that sensitive or the obvious answer would be to just read the article posted and not any of the comments. See how easy that was.

Posted by: Mark | Nov 13, 2013 4:40:37 PM

12. It's interesting to see so many people invested in these bad comments. I wonder is that's a thing, trolls being upgraded out.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 13, 2013 4:48:37 PM

13. I want to see Andy's sweet bubble butt.

Posted by: litper | Nov 13, 2013 5:50:47 PM

14. Since Hawai'i has a constitutional amendment in place that bars gay marriage, I'm going to assume this ends up in court.

If you can't laugh off bad comments, you probably shouldn't be online.

Posted by: anon | Nov 13, 2013 7:01:14 PM

15. Anon - You are misinformed. Hawaii has a constitutional amendment (Amendment 2, 1998) that reads:

"The legislature shall have the power to reserve marriage to opposite-sex couples."

It does not speak to the legislature's power to ENACT same-sex marriage. Moreover, the Hawaii Attorney General has opined that the amendment does not ban same-sex marriage.

There probably will be a lawsuit, and that is always a risk, but it doesn't have much hope of success.

Posted by: Buster | Nov 13, 2013 8:22:01 PM

16. @Anon: The constitutional amendment in Hawaii did nothing of the sort. It merely gave the HI legislature the power to exclude--or, now include--gay couples in marriage. The lawsuit claiming HI voters were too stupid to understand basic English is frivolous and in all likelihood will quickly meet the trash can.

Expect gay couples to be marrying in the state very soon.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 14, 2013 4:17:43 AM

17. What scare the Cr*p out of the haters is that Hawaii's Constitution contains an equality clause that includes sex and sexuality, which is why thy needed to pass a constitutional amendment to allow the legislator to prevent equality in marriage being mandated by the Hawaii Supreme Court all those years ago. that provision is still in the Hawaii Constitution but excludes equal marriage, however the general equality provisions of the Federal fourteenth amendment would now probably negate that added provision as it allows in-equality. If the Hawaii legislator had not enacted equal marriage - then the Federal Courts would likely have nullified the Exclusion in law enacted in Hawaii preventing same-sex marriage. The Equality clause in the Hawaii constitution STILL includes sexual orientation and sex.

Posted by: renovato | Nov 14, 2013 6:01:57 AM

18. Robert: And he has reasons to be angry.
    Towleroad is an interesting site, but the comments sometimes seems like the yahoo news comments, full of hate and stupidity.

There are a lot of interesting people posting here, but the level of trolling is simply too high.
    One can disagree with other posters but there's no reason to not be polite and argument your objections.
    To be honest, trolling is annoying but it's sad too. I can't imagine how sad must be the life of people who think the only way to make people pay attention to them is spreading hate and nonsense

Posted by: jjose712 | Nov 14, 2013 7:01:15 AM