Alec Baldwin | Gay Slurs | GLAAD | News

Alec Baldwin Suspended Two Weeks for Gay Slur

MSNBC has suspended Alec Baldwin and his show Up Late for two weeks following outrage over his use of a homophobic slur, USA Today reports:

BaldwinBut GLAAD says the move is not enough. "Alec Baldwin still needs to take real action," the organization's vice president of communications, Rich Ferraro, said tonight in a statement. "MSNBC has sent a message that anti-gay slurs carry consequences, and that's an important standard to uphold at a time when LGBT people continue to face disproportionate levels of bullying and violence just because of who they are."

Said Baldwin in a statement on MSNBC.com:

I would like to address the comments I made this past week.

I did not intend to hurt or offend anyone with my choice of words, but clearly I have – and for that I am deeply sorry. Words are important. I understand that, and will choose mine with great care going forward. What I said and did this week, as I was trying to protect my family, was offensive and unacceptable. Behavior like this undermines hard-fought rights that I vigorously support. I understand “Up Late” will be taken off the schedule for tonight and next week.

I want to apologize to my loyal fans and to my colleagues at msnbc – both for my actions and for distracting from their good work. Again, please accept my apology.

Baldwin called a photographer a "c--ksucking fag".

Comments

1. Alec Baldwin is a violent ugly bigot who deserves punishment more severe than suspension.

He is not only a terrible parent - he thinks his own daughter is a pig - but he is also a homophobic monster.

luckily for him he works for a network that sponsors fascism - the Sochi Hatelympics

Posted by: MaryM | Nov 16, 2013 8:56:16 AM

2. He's a very talented guy... but in 'real-life' this is a person I would walk away from whenever I saw them.

You reach a certain age & you're still fighting with the world... Buddy, you got problems.

Posted by: pete n sfo | Nov 16, 2013 9:23:08 AM

3. Andy, do you really think the readers of your blog will be offended by seeing the word "cock" spelled out?

Posted by: Wisebear | Nov 16, 2013 9:43:10 AM

4. Dummy. In addition to all of this, his show is having problems with even booking people week to week. It's probably not long for this world.

When it gets dumped, he needs to go find some goddamned anger management counseling. Regardless of the slur, the guy needs to get a grip on his anger instead of always justifying his behavior after he explodes.

Posted by: Princely | Nov 16, 2013 9:48:36 AM

5. I'm officially done with Alec. Should have been a long time ago. No amount of talent or celebrity gives anyone a pass to act in public the way his idiot has for the past few years. Music artists and sports stars are raked over the coals in social media, sponsorship deals pulled, ect after making just ONE bigoted or homophobic comment. Alec has been given a pass for far too long. Glad hes show was yanked for two weeks, but more needs to be done with this shmuck.

Posted by: greg | Nov 16, 2013 9:50:19 AM

6. Mel Gibson and Alec Baldwin are polar opposites politically, and I'm a liberal like Baldwin. But like Mel Gibson, this side of Baldwin's only seems to come out in extreme anger. I don't excuse Gibson for it so I really can't excuse Baldwin for it, either, just because I otherwise agree with his politics.

Posted by: Ken | Nov 16, 2013 9:56:56 AM

7. Just two weeks? That's ridiculous. Two years would be more appropriate.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Nov 16, 2013 10:00:37 AM

8. It's not like this is an isolated incident. This has happened at least once before (just with the anti-gay slurs) plus other angry outbusts that got him in trouble. You'd think the leaked voicemail to his daughter (which should never have been released to the public, btw...shame on whoever did that, not because it embarrassed Alec, who deserved it, but it must have been horrible for his daughter to have everyone hear that) would have been enough for him to get some anger management help. I have no idea HOW homophobic Baldwin is, but no one can reasonably claim not to be at all homophobic while continually using anti-gay slurs to insult people. It's too late. Is he sorry? Or sorry he got busted. Is he actually doing anything about this problem, or just doing damage control. Trotting out his hairdresser was proof of how tone deaf he is. He's just another entitled rich guy who think he can do whatever he wants. I guess he can, but I don't have to watch.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Nov 16, 2013 10:00:50 AM

9. He's being bullied and stalked....

Posted by: Ankerich | Nov 16, 2013 10:04:37 AM

10. To be honest I don't care this much about Alec Baldwin. Time to move on.

Posted by: jay | Nov 16, 2013 10:09:01 AM

11. and his beautiful young yoga instructor wife doesn't appear to be having a calming influence, sadly

Posted by: shanot | Nov 16, 2013 10:09:15 AM

12. What "talent" does Alec Baldwin have that outweighs his repeated bigoted comments and actions? None! He should be fired permanently for his disgusting behavior. GLAAD was correct two weeks is simply not enough. It is just another slap on the wrist by NBC. This ass should be history now!

Posted by: Mike | Nov 16, 2013 10:09:36 AM

13. I don't know who the Einstein was at MSNBC who thought giving Baldwin a forum on television was a good idea, but perhaps those responsible as well as Baldwin should all be just let go, permanently.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Nov 16, 2013 10:19:08 AM

14. The problem is I honestly don't think he really understands the problem. He keeps saying he does but his actions continually prove otherwise.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Nov 16, 2013 10:48:27 AM

15. I just think this might breed further resentment, esp. if his show is cancelled. Then 'The Gays' did it and that will be a rallying cry to show just how disproportionately powerful we are compared to our numbers. I also hate the reactionary and totally irrelevant GLAAD on principle, but I still think it is a VERY bad move to push for something harsher.

Posted by: Vera | Nov 16, 2013 10:50:40 AM

16. NBC gives Baldwin a 2 week suspension for saying 'fag' yet says nothing and continues with broadcasting SOCHI Games after Russia condemns LGBT and turns a blind eye to torture & murder.
    WTH NBC?

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Nov 16, 2013 10:57:44 AM

17. Just goes to show you how deep homophobia is engrained into everyday life when an "adult" with liberal politics goes off the rail.

And I thought his brother was the crazy one??! Ugh.

Posted by: Will G. | Nov 16, 2013 11:31:08 AM

18. Vera, Alec Baldwin's show has horrendous ratings and was reportedly on life support to begin with, so no, no-one cares enough outside our community for this to become a rallying cry for heterosexuals about how we as a community are whiners stifling free speech.

This decision amounts to a little bit above a slap on the wrist.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Nov 16, 2013 12:04:19 PM

19. Poor guy. Stardom is so stressful. Boo hoo.

Posted by: Dorimus | Nov 16, 2013 12:20:26 PM

20. "I did not intend to hurt or offend anyone with my choice of words" Huh? We're supposed to believe he intended that as a compliment?! If he didn't intend to "hurt or offend" the guy he was shouting at, what on earth did he intend?

Posted by: jomicur | Nov 16, 2013 12:53:00 PM

21. "Get outta here you cock sucking fag! Oh no, not you sweety, that other cock sucking fag"
    One hopes this is an end to those not funny credit card commercials and their corny dialogue.
    "What foot is in your mouth?"

Posted by: parkrunner | Nov 16, 2013 2:16:09 PM

22. it's anger, not homophobia. It's a pattern verbal response in so many straight guys, and some gay ones (this site's internalized-homophobia crippled trolls are an exampl-e), and so even the guys who aren't actually homophobic can fall back into "Oh! I know an insult that gets guys angry!" - i'm not saying i accept it, i'm saying i understand it. i think msnbc's response is appropriate, in terms of following precedent and setting example. it would be inconsistent not to. so i can roll with a (temporary, until PR-approved Apology/Explanation Moment?) suspension.
    but i don't think he's a homophobic guy. he's not the enemy. he inspires nobody to hate gay people.
    it's a nice distraction from Boehner insisting we gays don't experience actual discrimination, eh?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 16, 2013 3:15:59 PM

23. If athletes can be fined, so can he.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 16, 2013 4:35:23 PM

24. Alec Baldwin is despicable. He should take his stupid, sweaty balls to Russia where they will be appreciated.

Posted by: Mick | Nov 17, 2013 4:41:42 AM

25. Alec Baldwin is not a homophobic guy. He clearly has some hold-over language from another era that rears it's ugly head when he is under extreme stress. Insensitive language doesn't mean he hates gay people. It doesn't excuse the use of the words, but come now everyone- is this really high on your list of the insults you have suffered as gay men? I choose to pick my battles a little more thoughtfully- why waste energy attacking my allies.

His actions in support of the gay community speak louder than his ill chosen words. let's calm down a little and stop being so shrill and indignant. Alec Baldwin is not your enemy.

Posted by: notice | Nov 17, 2013 5:43:28 PM