News | Transgender | United Kingdom

British Member of European Parliament Comes Out as Transgender

Nikki SinclaireNikki Sinclaire, a British member of the European Parliament, has revealed in a new autobiography that she underwent a sex change at the age of 23. Sinclaire gave a follow-up interview with The Sun, stating that she first realized she should have been a female at the age of three.

"It sounds weird, but I knew something was wrong even then - I've always felt I was in the wrong body. I remember dressing up as a girl on my first day of school. It then started to happen every day. The other kids knew I was different," she said.

In her early 20s, Sinclaire began hormone replacement treatment before undergoing the sex change. Sinclaire says that complications from the surgery nearly killed her, but maintains that it was a necessity for her well-being.

"If I hadn't become a woman I would have led a lonely, neurotic life, forever out of place, endlessly consulting doctors and therapists at public expense. As it is I have become a happy, fulfilled achiever and I have repaid, in tax, the cost of my NHS operation many times over."

Moving forward, Sinclaire says she doesn't want her past to overshadow her ambition of becoming a cabinet minister at Westminster.

"I feel passionately that true equality happens only when your colour, creed, gender or sexuality is not a label used next to your name. We are not there yet."

Comments

1. Cue the troll hate in 3..2..1..

Posted by: UGH | Nov 17, 2013 6:54:22 PM

2. One would have had to be there of course to see things from her point of view however, I think that it is WONDERFUL that she did what she did and at such a time too. . . Bravo!

Posted by: Mike | Nov 17, 2013 7:12:49 PM

3. I just hate it when people 'don't like labels', it's a fear of language and not wanting to be seen as something 'deviant'. I'm a lesbian, Eurasian, liberal, those 'labels' are part of my identity. Being white and being black are not the same thing, neither is being gay and being straight. All of those things are equal to each other, but they're not the same, only by embracing that difference does true equality actually come in.

Posted by: Vera | Nov 17, 2013 7:23:51 PM

4. If Sinclaire doesn't like labels, why does she call herself a woman? I think he loves labels.

I feel that Sinclaire is attempting to justify herself. By the way, he has only adopted the appearance of a woman. A baby will never travel through your non-existent birth canal, Sinclaire.

Posted by: ASam | Nov 17, 2013 7:25:42 PM

5. Stop bemoaning the fact that for this WOMAN "a baby will never travel through the non-existent birth control canal" ASAM. We have YOU for that! [grr] A big FUSSY constantly crying baby with an I.Q. to match who thinks that he is the center of the universe and that EVERYTHING is dependent on his say so! Your disgusting ASAM . . .

Posted by: Mike | Nov 17, 2013 7:56:46 PM

6. How interesting that she is in the second most anti-LGBT political parties in the UK (second on to the BNP). UKIP is basically the Tea Party of the UK.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Nov 17, 2013 8:25:18 PM

7. If Sinclaire is happy, good for him. However, I don't like it when such people take the moral high ground and claim to be something they aren't. Nor do I like it when they moralize against the use of labels when they, themselves, use them.

Posted by: ASam | Nov 17, 2013 8:25:59 PM

8. Asam, by which I mean Rick, your comments are getting nastier and nastier with each passing day. I guess you're getting pretty desperate. Loser.

Posted by: Tyler | Nov 17, 2013 8:28:41 PM

9. Ha TYLER! That they are. IF he was a compassionate human being we would ALMOST almost have to worry about his blood pressure however since it is the always thoroughly unpleasant Rick I guess that we do not . . .

Posted by: Mike | Nov 17, 2013 8:48:31 PM

10. How empty must asam/rick's life be that he has to come on here and stir up crap by hat in' on the trans folk? What is it about their happiness that makes him so angry?

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Nov 17, 2013 9:32:36 PM

11. I can assure you that I am not Rick.

Posted by: ASam | Nov 17, 2013 9:34:09 PM

12. At this point the responses to troll comments are just as annoying as the original comments. Why can't you ignore comments you don't like and not give them the attention they crave?

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 17, 2013 9:57:58 PM

13. What? One worthless hurtful TROLL was mistaken for another worthless hurtful TROLL? Andy REALLY has to get software on Towleroad that eliminates this simply by verifying that the E-mail address matches the name. In the meantime ASAM and Rick are one and the same.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 17, 2013 9:58:45 PM

14. I've finally figured out why I'm uncomfortable in my body. I should have been born Tom Hardy. When I have enough confidence, I'm going out as Tom Hardy. You all can make up a letter for me on the LGBTQIAPK gravy train.

Posted by: will | Nov 17, 2013 10:16:08 PM

15. What I find funny is how much people care what others call themselves or do with their own lives. Seriously, get over yourselves.

Posted by: ALLIEFOO | Nov 17, 2013 10:56:39 PM

16. I'm trans. I'm used to the trolls. they've worn me down, but they are so many. The world is a sad and hurtful place.

Posted by: AbbieSage | Nov 17, 2013 11:01:10 PM

17. @Tampazeke: She specifically left the UKIP because she couldn't stand the far-right views of some of the other members. She has actually campaigned in the US for democratic candidates, including President Obama.

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Nov 17, 2013 11:35:45 PM

18. People who oppose the concept of LGBT are not trolls. A person does not become a troll just because you disagree with them. And no, it is not just one person on here that feels that way. There are many of us. There was no such thing as LGBT as recently as the mid-1990s. It is a recent invention and only a mindless drone would just accept it without at least thinking about whether it makes sense.

The vast majority of trans people are not gay and, as straights, they have no particular reason to support LGBs. That is why it is no surprise that many are antigay. UKIP is a racist, anti-gay, anti-immigrant party. One of their representatives to the European Parliament has praised the bombing of a gay bar and been investigated by the police for threatening a gay couple. That is the kind of party that this self-identified heterosexual transgender belongs to. That any LGB would think that we are "one people" with a proto-fascist, racist heterosexual woman is beyond belief.

Posted by: Derrick | Nov 17, 2013 11:56:35 PM

19. If you are trans-gender, you are weak. You are weak because you have allowed society to push you into cutting off your God-given assets.

Transgenders tend to be selfish, weak individuals.

Posted by: ASam | Nov 18, 2013 12:07:06 AM

20. On the one hand, it's always cool to hear about a successful, happy trans person; on the other, the fact she was ever a member of UKIP makes me want to heave. She left because she didn't like some of their far right policies... All their policies are far right and now she's set up the single-issue We Demand A Referendum Party. If she or any others in her "party" run and win even a single seat it will be a black day in British politics. Hardly unheard of I know but still... I cannot support her political ambitions no matter how much I'd like to see a trans woman in the cabinet... which it seems is her ultimate (if far-fetched) goal.

Posted by: Jack Ford | Nov 18, 2013 12:09:50 AM

21. On the one hand, it's always cool to hear about a successful, happy trans person; on the other, the fact she was ever a member of UKIP makes me want to heave. She left because she didn't like some of their far right policies... All their policies are far right and now she's set up the single-issue We Demand A Referendum Party. If she or any others in her "party" run and win even a single seat it will be a black day in British politics. Hardly unheard of I know but still... I cannot support her political ambitions no matter how much I'd like to see a trans woman in the cabinet... which it seems is her ultimate (if far-fetched) goal.

Posted by: Jack Ford | Nov 18, 2013 12:09:50 AM

22. I just got back from seeing Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I felt no sympathy for the main character. She should try living with two angry inches. I can barely tuck it.

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Nov 18, 2013 12:13:01 AM

23. @DERRICK She hasn't been a member for years.

"Sinclaire was elected as a UKIP MEP in June 2009. In January 2010, Sinclaire resigned from the Europe of Freedom and Democracy grouping in the European Parliament, to which UKIP belongs, citing her displeasure at what she claims to be some of the racist, extremist parties that belong to the EFD Group."

Hell, are you going to tell me there aren't gay men who were members or associated with anti-gay political groups who left and were embraced? David Brock comes to mind. She's not anti-gay and has been pretty publicly supportive of gays and lesbians so please stop with the tar and feathering, she's not the bigot you're trying to make her out to be.

Posted by: ALLIEFOO | Nov 18, 2013 12:19:28 AM

24. @ASAM And yet, they still have more balls than you.

Posted by: ALLIEFOO | Nov 18, 2013 12:21:51 AM

25. @Jack Ford:

"On the one hand, it's always cool to hear about a successful, happy trans person; on the other . . ."

As a transman, I agree with you that in theory, it would be cool to hear about such a person. In reality, no such person exists. The vast majority of trans people are unsuccessful and unhappy. They are disproportionately involved in criminal activity and as a recent report by two trans activists from NGLTF showed, they are much more likely to be living in prison. About 40% attempt suicide on top of another 30% who complete the deed.

A tiny number of trans people are successful but are unhappy, such as the successful sports writer at the LA Times who was terribly unhappy and tried to become happy by transitioning. He then quickly became unhappy again and transitioned back. No word on whether he is going for a re-re-transition. Finally, there is a tiny, tiny percentage of trans people who are unsuccessful but who are nevertheless happy. These are people who at some point realize that they need to stop being professional trans victims and start focusing on things other than their gender disorders dysphoria.

Posted by: Federico | Nov 18, 2013 12:22:32 AM