Crime | Toronto

Canadian Police Arrest Suspect For 2009 Hit-And-Run Murder Case

Augustin CarusoIn October 2009, Torontonian Chris Skinner was walking home from his sister's birthday party when he was beaten and run over by an SUV before he died from his wounds hours later. It was suspected that Skinner was murdered because he touched the car that was used in the attack.

On Thursday, Det. Sgt. Stacy Gallant announced that they have charged 23-year-old Augustin Caruso with second-degree murder. Sgt. Gallant said that there were six people in the vehicle used in the murder, but only four of whom were involved in the attack.

Police were finally able last month to identify the make, model, year, and color of the vehicle and released a photograph to the public. Part of what made gathering details so difficult for the case is Toronto's problem with a "no snitch" culture that remains tight-lipped when cooperating with police authorities in reporting crimes. Despite assurances that the police were interested in the driver the other five kept the information to themselves for four years, and now they will face charges of their own.

“I can assure you that there will be further arrests in this case in the near future,” Gallant said.

Comments

1. The amazing thing about "no snitch" is that research has proven what common sense makes us suspect: that areas with a "no snitch" policy have higher and higher rates of crime the less citizens come forward with information. It's much like the poor and uninsured in the US backing policies that help huge corporations and actually make their own lives worse.

Posted by: Eric | Nov 10, 2013 12:05:30 PM

2. I see what you did there, ERIC *snickering snottily*

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Nov 10, 2013 12:12:33 PM

3. This is great news! I was actually in the area where Chris was killed the night that it happened. It shocked the entire city when it happened. I've thought about his violent death ever since. Never thought they'd catch his killer. So happy that they did.

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 10, 2013 12:37:05 PM

4. He was one of my Sister's best friends. I can vividly remember the day she got the call that he had been killed. Absolutely horrifying. Skinner was larger than life and his passing created an enormous vacuum.

I only had the pleasure of meeting him at my Sister's wedding. He lit up the room and, dare I say, almost eclipsed my Sister on her day with his antics, humour and panache. The memory continues to make me smile despite knowing that my interaction with him was singular and brief.

The fact that the coward that drove the vehicle has been arrested brings little solace to the fact that Skinner is gone. This individual did not turn himself in. He hid. He was calculating enough to sell the vehicle involved probably in the hopes of never being discovered.

The other people in the vehicle have also not contacted the police. There were 6 people in the vehicle that night. 6 people! All of them stayed tight-lipped and unknown. They are all despicable cowards. I simply can't imagine the type of person who would willingly perform (or witness) such an act of brutality. I only hope that they, too, are arrested and that justice will prevail.

Posted by: Simon | Nov 10, 2013 12:52:53 PM

5. Toronto is a disgusting place to live or visit. I hope they catch them all and charge them with accessory to murder.

Posted by: Kev C | Nov 10, 2013 2:53:45 PM

6. Toronto does not have any more of a "no snitch" culture than any other large city. In fact, probably less than many given the high rate of serious crimes that are solved. Part of the problem everywhere is a distrust of the police that gets worse every year. The "stop and frisk" policy of the NYPD has aggravated the problem in a huge way there.

Posted by: Jim Elliott | Nov 10, 2013 3:29:23 PM

7. @Jim Elliot

Large cities are not all alike, especially when it comes to having "no snitch" areas. Not even all "low income" areas adopt "no snitching".

Posted by: Eric | Nov 10, 2013 3:54:59 PM

8. Kevin C, aren't you in Chicago?

Posted by: Rafa in Toronto | Nov 10, 2013 4:24:40 PM

9. Please, Toronto has no 'no snitch' culture different than any other big city. In fact, I suspect the problem here was this crime was committed late at night in the nightclub district where there was a lack of sober people on the street. The only people not 'snitching' were the people in the SUV. Hoping they all see jail for this.

And Kev can go screw himself.

Posted by: dumbnhung | Nov 10, 2013 7:12:35 PM

10. I'm in NYC and I don't like it here anymore. Too many foreigners from homophobic countries like Russia and Pakistan. Toronto is also full of backwards, homophobic immigrants. That's what makes them so progressive. Keep smoking crack and drinking molsens, terrible canandian people. Arkansas laughs at you.

Posted by: Kev C | Nov 10, 2013 7:20:57 PM

11. @Jim Elliot,

Sir, I guarantee you NYC will see an INCREASE in violent crime, especially gun related, now that stop&frisk is no more, and there's a new uber 'progressive' mayor (one billionaire liberal Republican from Boston leaving after 3 terms, another 'progressive' from Boston/Cambridge taking over.) NYC made a huge mistake electing this character, but his opponent s*ucked,too. The lil' Nazi, Bloomberg, was likewise seriously flawed as mayor. But stop and frisk was a good,proactive policy that absolutely helped prevent violent gun related crime. So be it.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 10, 2013 7:25:56 PM

12. LOL @ Kev C. too funny.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Nov 10, 2013 10:07:56 PM

13. It is with great relief that I read this. Chris was one of the first people I met when I came out, and I think back 14 years ago to dancing the night away, laughing at the local dance club, finally feeling like I'd found people just like me to start enjoying life with. He's terribly missed, and was a wonderful guy, and I hope justice is served. And shame on the people in that vehicle that have remained silent for years while Chris' friends and family have grieved and waited for something to be done. We miss you, Chris.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 11, 2013 10:16:58 AM

14. Ratbastard,

Stop and Frisk had not ended in New York City. Under this new mayor its enforcement will be adjusted.

And if you've been reading the news a federal appeals court just sided with Bloomberg on the issue of Stop n' Frisk. But come January there will be no more Mayor Bloomberg...and hopefully, a there weill be new NYC Police Commissioner also.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 11, 2013 10:32:00 AM

15. I'm glad that charges have been brought, and that those who obstructed justice will also be facing arrest.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 12, 2013 3:18:15 PM