News | Tennessee

BigGayDeal.com

Chattanooga Expected to Become Third Tennessee City to Provide Domestic Partner Benefits

Chattanooga, Tennessee may soon become the third city in the state to provide health benefits to its domestic partners, Nooga.com reports:

ChattanoogaThe City Council voted 5-4 Tuesday evening to approve the Extended Benefits and Equity Ordinance, proposed by Councilman Chris Anderson. The legislation extends health benefits to the domestic partners of city employees, including those in same-sex relationships. A second legislative component adds sexual orientation and gender identity to the city’s nondiscrimination policy.

"I’m excited that our city took a great step toward equality and fairness for all our employees," Anderson said to reporters after the vote. "It’s a great day for Chattanooga."

Mayor Andy Berke issued a statement Tuesday evening that praised the City Council’s decision.

"In the 21st century, we must ensure we attract talented employees and remain competitive with local, regional and national employers," Berke said. "That means hiring employees based on merit and offering a benefits package that retains and recruits the very best employees possible."

Another vote, expected to be 5-4 again, must be taken next week for the proposal to become law.

Comments

1. way to go to the town that gave us Battlin Bob Corker, the only Senator to stand up to Ted Cruz. That chattanooga choo choo is not pulling up the rear and in a good way.

Posted by: Cd in Dc | Nov 15, 2013 10:26:18 AM

2. I used to live in Chattanooga. It really was one of the most beautiful places I've ever lived. I'll always have fond memories of hiking all over Lookout Mountain and exploring many of the nearby caves. It's ironic that I'll now have fewer freedoms here in my new more northerly home.

Posted by: Nick | Nov 15, 2013 11:20:18 AM

3. Nick, if you're not a city employee then these benefits aren't on offer. The benefits are only applicable to couples that are employed by the city, so maybe you won't have fewer freedoms.

Good job Chattanooga on taking this step forward! We're seeing these policies instituted even in conservative states and cities. Maybe they aren't there on marriage but basic things like health insurance and not being fired for who you are, are things most people can get behind.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Nov 15, 2013 11:28:42 AM

4. opponents of gay rights are realizing that this choo-choo has left the station.

Posted by: woody | Nov 15, 2013 12:20:08 PM

5. I am planning on driving across county soon and stopping in Chattanooga, Tennessee. One of the sites that I plan to visit there is the Tennessee Aquarium. This news makes me feel even better about putting the beautiful city of Chattanooga on my itinerary.

Posted by: RonCharles | Nov 15, 2013 3:15:17 PM

6. As a city resident, it made me happy to see this on the site.

Posted by: Blake | Nov 18, 2013 6:15:26 AM

7. Why have most of the gay blogosphere been ignoring this story? I think this is the only gay news blog I've seen that has reported on it so far.

Posted by: Neon Genesis | Nov 18, 2013 11:03:53 PM