Maine | Mike Michaud | News | Rachel Maddow

BigGayDeal.com

Congressman Mike Michaud, Who Came Out as Gay This Week, Speaks to Rachel Maddow: VIDEO

Maddow_michaud

Rachel Maddow speaks to Rep. Mike Michaud (D-ME) who came out of the closet earlier this week in response to what he called a "whisper campaign" by opponents, spoke to Maddow last night in a segment assessing the state of the Maine gubernatorial race.

Said Michaud:

"I have no idea who was doing it - all I know is that there was speculation out there that I was gay and I wanted to be upfront, be honest with the voters of the state of Maine, 'yes I am but what should that matter? I'm the same person today that I was last week, last year and the year before.' I'm Mike, and I want to talk about the issues and it was very important for me to put that on the table so we can move on and talk about issues."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. If a person wants to be honest, open and up front with the people then why does he wait until a rumor mill forces him to come out?

Posted by: TampaZeke | Nov 6, 2013 9:27:59 AM

2. sad he comes out and then talks about fact being gay doesn't affect his work. Sounds like he's a truckdriver or a pharmacist, he's a congressman, he makes policy, it should affect his work, esp as Governor.

Posted by: CD in DC | Nov 6, 2013 9:33:24 AM

3. He's a man from a different generation. When he began his career in politics staying in the closet was his only option. No matter the reasons for him coming out, he's out. That's a good thing.

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 6, 2013 10:07:13 AM

4. "sad he comes out and then talks about fact being gay doesn't affect his work. Sounds like he's a truckdriver or a pharmacist, he's a congressman, he makes policy, it should affect his work, esp as Governor."

You evidently did not pay attention to what he said. He said that he worked in a mill for 29 years. Yeah, that's not a truck driver, but it's normal everyday work that many Mainers do. If you also did not notice he's been a legislator for many years and there's really been no reason for him to mention his sexuality. Since there was a person or persons who did want to make a big deal about it he nipped it in the bud and let everyone know that he is gay and he's not embarrassed about it.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Nov 6, 2013 10:45:00 AM

5. He would literally be the first out gay governor and yet for you queens that not soon enough? Come on.

Posted by: jeff | Nov 6, 2013 11:55:07 AM

6. Look, clearly, the attention is a little bit much for Rep. Michaud. It's understandable. He's 59 and just told his parents he's gay on Sunday. He sees it as a personal thing, and he doesn't want to be known as the "gay Governor" or "gay candidate"...he just wants to be Mike. I understand, almost sympathize, really. Put yourself in his shoes here, people.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Nov 6, 2013 6:05:10 PM

7. @FRANCIS #1 That's my exact sentiment. I think a lot of my generation forgets to think about what it was like for these people back in the day. Every era has its cons. Who are people my age to judge when we weren't living in that time period with that kind of society.

Posted by: aerogens | Nov 7, 2013 1:23:35 AM