PETA’s ‘Vegetarian Icon’ Stamps Feature Ricky Martin, Alan Cumming, and Other LGBT Celebs

Screen Shot 2013-11-22 at 1.46.18 PM

Animal rights group PETA is launching a limited-edition sheet of postal stamps honoring celebrated vegetarians including prominent queer celebrities like Alan Cumming, Ricky Martin, Sara Gilbert, and Morrissey.

Check out some of the other celebrities featured HERE.

Comments

1. Elsewhere1010 says

I blame stamps.com, because these are most definitely not U.S.P.S issued stamps via the Bureau of Engraving; these are vanity items.

I think I’ll order my own design at stamps.com — how about a nice sizzling steak topped with a roast chicken and some bacon. And it will be worth 92¢ postage, so there!

2. Tonez says

I’m sure all of them own pets…Which is something PETA is against. They view it as slavery. Look it up. Only mindless tools think this organisation does good.

3. NJ Gay says

Sara Gilbert is not a Vegetarian, she’s a Pescetarian (i.e.: she does not eat poultry or land animals but she does eat fish). Sorry, I’ve got the sense of humor of a 12 year old! Hopefully Sara (who I love) has a sense of humor and thinks this is funny, or at least isn’t offended.

4. greg says

“Ahimsa” means “do no harm”. It is the foundation for most Dharmic religions, beginning with the first religion, Hinduism, some 6-8,000 years ago. When you take a bite of meat this Thanksgiving try and hear the screams of that animal, the fear, before you ingest it. And then ask yourself the next morning if it was really worth making another animal suffer so you could have sensation X in your mouth? Really?

5. Merv says

I am a carnivore for moral reasons. Most animals survive by eating other living things. Plants, on the other hand, get their energy from non-living things. Therefore, plants are superior to animals, making it immoral to eat plants. This is why I only eat other animals, and avoid eating any plants. Take that, PETA!

6. ascanius1 says

i tried vegetarian but ended up anemic. so i had to compromise. it only takes about a half a pound of red meat a week to keep by blood count healthy. i seem to need heme iron to function properly. sorry, pigs and cows.

7. Jay says

I wonder how Vegetarians will deal with lab grown meats when they become mainstream. And their stance on the fact that many animals they spare, end up eating many other animals in the food chain. Vegetarianism is flawed and their habits are dangerous.

8. anon says

I can see being vegetarian for health reason, but the moral reasoning is silly, and the moral grandstanding is pathetic. If you want to justifiably feel like you’ve done some good in the world, go work for a hands-on charity or invent a life-saving drug.

9. fern says

Most ethical vegetarians support lab meat because it not only saves animals from being killed but also spares them a life of misery, often in extreme confinement.

The argument for vegetarian is extremely sound.

BTW, all those bashing PETA need to realize the smear campaign against them was orchestrated by an industry front group after PETA exposed some of the industry’s worst practices. These people don’t care about unadopted pets being put down; they care about the bottom line and that cruel industry practices continue to go unquestioned.