Eminem | News

'Rolling Stone' Asks Eminem Why He's Still Using the Word 'Faggot' in 2013

Rolling Stone has excerpted an upcoming cover story on Eminem, a portion of the interview in which they ask the rapper why he still uses the word "faggot" in his lyrics and uses "gay-looking" as an insult.

EminemSays Eminem:

"I don't know how to say this without saying it how I've said it a million times. But that word, those kind of words, when I came up battle-rappin' or whatever, I never really equated those words [to actually mean 'homosexual']...It was more like calling someone a bitch or a punk or a--hole. So that word was just thrown around so freely back then. It goes back to that battle, back and forth in my head, of wanting to feel free to say what I want to say, and then [worrying about] what may or may not affect people. And, not saying it's wrong or it's right, but at this point in my career – man, I say so much s--t that's tongue-in-cheek. I poke fun at other people, myself."

He adds that he personally has no issues with LGBT people:

"...the real me sitting here right now talking to you has no issues with gay, straight, transgender, at all. I'm glad we live in a time where it's really starting to feel like people can live their lives and express themselves. And I don't know how else to say this, I still look at myself the same way that I did when I was battling and broke.

Furthermore, if people don't understand his music by now "I don't think there's anything I can do to change their mind about it."

Comments

1. Rap is just a trashy genre of music where rappers can use any type of language they want to and say, well it's street talk, so it's cool. Guess you gotta either take it or leave it.

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 4, 2013 2:40:59 PM

2. I remember this bar DJ from the Seventies who used to live in West Hollywood that we nicknamed "Disco Teddy", because he never got out of that 70's mind set--it was so weird to see this old man going around in roller skates with hot pants, mid-riffs and various 70's accoutrement. Emminen is like that. He's a man without the ability to grow. He's stuck in a bygone era. You can still be angry without hurting people who have nothing to do with your anger. Find new and interesting ways to be angry. Grow up. Boooooring.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Nov 4, 2013 2:45:05 PM

3. Ask him why he uses the N-word in his lyrics and he'll say the exact thing .. because growin up we all said it yaddayada. Rap really is brain-dead stupid.

Posted by: Kev C | Nov 4, 2013 2:46:31 PM

4. Turd.

Posted by: MIleHighJoe | Nov 4, 2013 2:52:04 PM

5. it seems to me, that if you're aware that a particular word upsets a wide range of people, then you might want to consider letting good manners dictate what you say rather than try justifying by saying that you continue to use it because you've always used it.

that's a poor reason to continue making that slur.

Posted by: alguien | Nov 4, 2013 2:53:20 PM

6. @ WOODROAD34 Are you talking about the old man that roller skates around the Sheriff's station driveway exit on SM Blvd? He's in his own world with his headphones on and roller skating in circles

Posted by: Kevin G | Nov 4, 2013 2:53:51 PM

7. Why is it that someone like M&M, an accomplished lyricist and poet, a man who has made his fortune, and name by crafting words pretends that words have no meaning?

Could there be anything more disengenuous, than to be thought of as an highly intelligent, articulate man on the one hand, than act like a total clueless idiot on the other.

Frankly, I do not know why people even bother talking to an emotional idiot who, clearly, who is no more evolved now at the age of 41 than he was at 24 when he released his first album Infinite.

The man is 41, middle-aged, and he has not grown as man, or as an artist. People, and publications, like Rolling Stone, give him way to much credit as a thinking person, by even bothering to ask him why he does anything.

Posted by: Ricco | Nov 4, 2013 2:56:36 PM

8. Not good enough - off by a mile (or even 8). The man crafts battle poetry with intent and then says- oh that's not how I think, it's just a generic insult. Even IF he actually believes that many in his audience do not. Course its ironic that he says of people who don't understand his music, "I don't think there's anything I can do to change their mind about it." Apparently that' true of him too. So, buh-bye M, you don't need us, we don't need you

Posted by: rjinva | Nov 4, 2013 3:10:42 PM

9. Except that LGBT cannot "live their lives and express themselves" without being called f*gs, Eminem. And that's due to people like you. Congratulations.

He knows the word offends many and is an offensive word, he uses it intentionally. That's my issue. There is no claim to ignorance. It's intentionally going out of his way to including anti-gay slurs in his songs. Eminem is a jackass.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Nov 4, 2013 3:11:40 PM

10. I don't understand the argument that you use the word like the word a**hole. Why not just use a**hole? Why use words that you know are going to offend people when you can just use a more commonly accepted word and get your point across better?

Also I need to say this because it's been bothering me for a long time. I acknowledge the fact that at one point in his life he was probably considered by most to be less than. But at the same point he has to understand that he he's still a heterosexual white male. He sees making it into the rap game as a big feat but let's be honest, as a white man he's going to get respected by mainstream society a lot more than if he were a stuggling black guy trying to make it into the business so it kind of bothers me when he tries to play it like it was some uphill battle. It's 2013 and white rappers may not be common, they aren't quite unheard of. I think it's time to stop acting like he's still trying to make it through some rap glass ceiling.

Posted by: Derrick | Nov 4, 2013 3:23:25 PM

11. And, when he's finished saying all that, I just want to say: "Don't you think it's time you grow up?"

Posted by: James Peron | Nov 4, 2013 3:30:01 PM

12. "I still look at myself the same way that I did when I was battling and broke"

This says it all, you moron.

Rap is great, if you hate rap, you are an idiot. Only an idiot would choose to hate something he can just ignore.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 4, 2013 3:41:28 PM

13. Why on Earth is anyone still listening to this person?

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Nov 4, 2013 3:44:03 PM

14. He used because it sells record to his crowd, be honest a-hole.

Posted by: Rob | Nov 4, 2013 3:45:06 PM

15. I kind of get what he's saying now. The words f*g & gay are becoming unconnected with sexuality in the rap world. Word meanings change constantly through history. We must not get insulted. The slurs are not about gay sex.

Posted by: will | Nov 4, 2013 3:48:10 PM

16. And perhaps it also needs to be said for the millionth time that it is nonsense for anyone to try and claim that there use of the word faggot is not meant with homophobic intent. The word is slang for homosexual and does not in terms of calling it out mean anything else. When someone shouts faggot they may not do so with the intention of seriously believing the target is actually gay, but they want to insult them by claiming so - the implication remains that calling someone homosexual is shameful and insulting. The word faggot when used in 'battle' only means that and Eminem should at least admit so.

Posted by: Den | Nov 4, 2013 3:51:12 PM

17. His lyrics sound tryhard on a 40+ year old, this is a good example.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Nov 4, 2013 3:52:44 PM

18. The kids who support us and listen to Eminem don't see f*g as deragatory for gya people. Maybe the gay community doesn't need to hold onto f*g as a slur. It's meaning has changed. It means something else now.

Posted by: will | Nov 4, 2013 3:57:43 PM

19. Not buyin' it. And given his advanced age, it's time he tried to reinvent himself to remain relevant.

Next.

Posted by: Tiresome | Nov 4, 2013 3:58:27 PM

20. How about this? When homophobes and bigots stop using the word while they are bashing one of us, we'll agree that the meaning has changed, until then if you really don't have anything against the community stop using the damn word.

Posted by: Derrick | Nov 4, 2013 4:05:08 PM

21. The answer is simply "because you let me".

Posted by: Randy | Nov 4, 2013 4:14:29 PM

22. Indeed, Derrick. The reason they used that word when he was rapping in his youth, is because they were bigots who bashed gays. This is not debateable, this is a fact. I was one of them getting bashed by his fans.

Posted by: Kev C | Nov 4, 2013 4:26:48 PM

23. He will stop using the word faggot, when rappers stop using the words niggas and bitches.I find all three words offensive and dehumazing.They shoudn't be used to refer to a person EVER.

Posted by: Kelly | Nov 4, 2013 4:27:04 PM

24. First of all, Eminem has publicly said he supports marriage equality. So no, I don't believe he's at all homophobic. Do I think he should be using the word? Perhaps not. But I do understand what he's saying, even if I don't agree with it. Have any of you ever used the word "retarded" as an insult? If you have, shut the f up because you're an equally terrible human being.

And it's hilarious to hear people saying he's not relevant, why is anyone listening to him, yadda yadda. He's still enormously successful, popular, and relevant. Trying to pretend otherwise so you don't get as butthurt is pretty silly.

Posted by: Jack | Nov 4, 2013 4:48:43 PM

25. Typical Michigan trailer park trash!

Posted by: BRAINS | Nov 4, 2013 4:55:20 PM