Gay Marriage | New York | News | West Point

BigGayDeal.com

West Point To Host First Gay Wedding Between Two Men Today

Hike

For the first time in West Point's history, two men (both West Point graduates) will marry in the chapel of the military academy today. According to the AP:

Larry Choate III, class of 2009, will marry Daniel Lennox, class of 2007, on Saturday at the U.S. Military Academy's Cadet Chapel. West Point hosted two same-sex weddings of women in late 2012, more than a year after New York legalized gay marriage. But this is the first time two men are being wed at West Point...

WestChoate, 27, said the landmark Gothic chapel at the Hudson Valley academy is a special place and it's an honor to be wed there. He taught Sunday school at the chapel as a cadet and always thought of it as the place he would get married, if he could.

Both men are out of the military. Lennox, a 28-year-old from Washington, D.C, is getting his master's degree in business administration at Harvard University in Massachusetts. Choate, from Seattle, works at the business school there and is applying to Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government.

Last year,  Brenda Sue Fulton and Penelope Dara Gnesin became the first gay couple to marry at West Point.

According a post on Choate's blog, the two men became engaged in March of this year, soon after Lennox's return from a year-long deployment in Afghanistan. The right side photo captured their reunion upon his return.

In a post from earlier this week, Choate writes about the excitement he and Lennox experienced after being handed their marriage license from a clerk in New York:

It was just a white paper form that came out of their laserjet printer and was embossed with the seal of the state of NY. It's real world value is next to nothing. But to us it's the official, legal recognition of our new life together. It's everything so many advocates and activists have devoted their lives to making possible.

We'll post photos from the wedding as soon as we see them. Congrats, guys!

Comments

1. Congratulations to the happy couple and best wishes for a long and rewarding life together.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Nov 2, 2013 11:43:22 AM

2. Totes adorebs! (Sorry, was that totes 2012s?)

Posted by: DW | Nov 2, 2013 11:56:18 AM

3. Awww, they're so cute together!

Posted by: litper | Nov 2, 2013 12:25:01 PM

4. Who would have thought of ALL things remotely possible ... Our American military ended up being the Most welcoming to the GLBT community . One good reason to take pride in America !

Posted by: MarkBoston | Nov 2, 2013 12:50:09 PM

5. Congratulation guys. I wish you a long, happy life together.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Nov 2, 2013 12:57:49 PM

6. Look like a great couple. (I wonder how long it will take before the haters start throwing their usual bigoted hissie fits.)

Posted by: Continuum | Nov 2, 2013 12:59:06 PM

7. This makes me so happy my eyes are leaking!

Posted by: jsb | Nov 2, 2013 1:02:29 PM

8. Congratulations to these great guys, etc., but am I the only one who wishes that some of our trailblazers were a bit more macho and less stereotypical? Hey, lots of gay guys dig the whole queenish thing, and that's fine, but a lot of us are he-man type guys, too, and it would be nice to see us get some recognition from time to time. I know some bitter and spiteful trolls at this site aren't going to like Tank's comments, but hey, I have to keep it real, guys!

Posted by: TANK | Nov 2, 2013 2:05:01 PM

9. Tank, go back down to your parents' basement, and STFU! Then use your fist to keep it real. Just like you always do.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Nov 2, 2013 2:10:13 PM

10. Shut up Mike. When are you queens going to learn that I can't come out as an openly gay man and I can't ever get laid because you effeminates are too busy being Out? I'd love to keep it extra real by showing you all who I am, but then you'd see that not only am I not remotely masculine or manly, I'm also incredibly ugly. But hey, Tank's gotta keep it real. If I can't come on here and ramble about stereotypica queens I'd be forced to give my parents the Xmas gift they've always wanted from old Tank and blow my brains out. I'm just keeping it real. You bitter queens need to realize that whenever he-man types like me want to be represented, what we're really saying is "We don't have the balls to represent ourselves." I guess you queens don't know what it's like to be a man suffering from penis envy.

Posted by: Tank | Nov 2, 2013 2:14:21 PM

11. The army guy is ok, the other is a bit femmy but with a great body. This type of feminine man i can accept. He's not Boy George or something...

Posted by: litper | Nov 2, 2013 2:24:37 PM

12. Good for them. Congrats guys!!

Posted by: Tom | Nov 2, 2013 2:31:42 PM

13. For anyone who hasn't yet read the link to Larry Choate's blog entry, I *highly* recommend it. Very sweet indeed!

Congratulations, gentlemen!

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 2, 2013 2:55:19 PM

14. It's heartbreaking to read in Larry Choate's blog how his own immediate family has rejected him for being gay and won't accept his relationship with Danny. Fortunately, Danny's family has embraced him totally and they also seem to have an amazing circle of friends.

Posted by: RJ | Nov 2, 2013 3:13:59 PM

15. Larry misses out on nothing by no longer having to deal with his anti-gay family. His family, however, is missing out on a world of joy and love. Danny's family? They're reaping the rewards of being decent human beings. Well met.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 2, 2013 3:43:40 PM

16. Very cool and long overdue. But...I wonder when we will simply call it "marriage" and not "gay marriage" (especially since the headline says, "between two men.") Kind of redundant. Just say, "Two men in love get married"!

Posted by: WRR | Nov 2, 2013 3:53:03 PM

17. People talk about being femme only watching a picture? Sorry but you are ridiculous

And i don't get why americans have such complex with male behaviour that anything that is not acting like Rambo is labeled as being effeminate (and frankly, everyone is the way he is, no reason to change your ways when you don't hurt noone)

Posted by: jjose712 | Nov 2, 2013 4:47:51 PM

18. At first was wondering EXACTLY how easily this would work with one groom living in Massachusetts, (On the east coast.) and the other groom in Washington state, (On the west coast.), then I read on to see where the fiancé in Washington is applying to Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government which of course is ALSO in Massachusetts. Am unreservedly happy for them and wish the best ALWAYS to this cute couple! Their groundbreaking represents the ABSOLUTE best in both West Point and America . . .

Posted by: Mike | Nov 2, 2013 5:10:39 PM

19. Love conquers all - even religion!

Posted by: Geoff | Nov 2, 2013 6:13:43 PM

20. I wish them both a long happy life together.

Posted by: Rob | Nov 2, 2013 7:44:51 PM

21. @Mike: I think the orig AP article can be easily misread. I read it as Choate is originally from Seattle, WA, and now works at the Harvard business school . . . "Harvard" being the "there."

Posted by: McCoysMarketNYC | Nov 3, 2013 1:27:13 AM

22. Haha, poor old Tank. It's not easy keeping it real.

Posted by: Tristram | Nov 3, 2013 9:09:08 PM

23. It would be weird if they were hosting a straight wedding for two men.

Posted by: TNardi | Nov 4, 2013 12:02:18 AM

24. Are not homosexual acts, ie gay marriage, medically dangerous?

That is, Doesn't the medical community recommend that you, "Wash your hands after you go to the bathroom."?

Yet, now there are some in the medical community that now say it's OK to "Sleep with the waste that gets flushed down in the toilet?" and that it's possible to live a perfectly normal life.

Posted by: AhContraire | Nov 4, 2013 1:53:54 AM

25. I have always been so fascinated at the Gay Community and how they go on and on about wanting to be "accepted" by society. Yet, time and time again I will read comments like many of the ones here and see how vicious and unaccepting so many gay men are each other. So tell me, why should the rest of society stand here with open arms when you guys cant even do it amongst yourselves?

Posted by: CTD2500 | Nov 4, 2013 8:19:35 AM