Film | Focus on the Family | News | Video

AMC Theaters Hosts Screening Of Film By Focus On The Family: VIDEO

AmcOn May 6, 2014, AMC theaters across the U.S. will be showing a one-time screening of Focus On The Family's Irreplaceable as a part of their Fathom Events program. The documentary film follows one man who believes in traditional marriage and family as he consults with various "experts" - like anti-gay Rabbi Shmuel Goldin, ex-gay advocate Dr. Miriam Grossman, and Prop 8 supporter Michael Medved - to determine if his traditional marriage is "meaningful or outdated."

Coming from an independent film maker, there are a wealth of interesting opinions and issues to be explored on the topic of marriage, relationships, and family. However, since it's coming from the group that:

...it's probably safe to assume that the man's findings will be less than balanced, or even honest.

Via Joe.My.God. You can watch the trailer for Irreplaceable AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm running low on boycotts, not sure if this qualifies.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 30, 2013 7:32:53 AM

2. What's especially insulting about it is that right now on their Twitter stream (@AMCTheatres), they're using images of Sir Ian McKellen to sell tickets to the Hobbit movie.

Of course, the danger here is the same danger as shown in the Phil Robertson controversy- by caving in and marketing to right wing fringe groups, it confirms that they *are* a group in society that companies should be marketing and capitulating to, regardless of how disgusting those views are. Worse, this film is going to be used as "proof", and it's going to be used against LGBT youth.

Posted by: Eric | Dec 30, 2013 7:42:01 AM

3. Shouldn't we wait for the film to be reviewed before grabbing the pitchforks???

Yes, the organization behind it is sleazy but, really, aren't most of the entertainment mega corporations corrupt? Who owns A&E? What company airs Trump's program "The Apprentice" even after Trump made repated racist and homophobic statements? What corporation owns the racist, homophobic, and destructive Fox News (the same company that airs the Simpsons and produces The X-Men)?

As for the film itself, the trailer shows a documentary that is well made. It clearly has an agenda about the negative effects of single parent homes vs two-parent homes.

But is that horrible to even say that a child might be better off by having two parents than having one? Obviously, a good single parent can raise awesome children. On average, though, would children be better off if they had two parents actively involved in their lives?

That's a separate question from gay marriage.

Posted by: Alex | Dec 30, 2013 7:47:45 AM

4. I think for the most part, we should ignore this film. Yes, the Chrissies will make a big deal out of it, like they did with Kirk Cameron's films. Let them.

Sometimes the best way to convince an idiot he should shut-up, is to just let him speak.

Posted by: AdamTh | Dec 30, 2013 8:12:13 AM

5. Alex: Oh come on, don't make me laugh.
    Everybody with a brain can see what's the real matter of this film from miles.

But i agree with Eric, maybe it will be contraproducent to make noise, because this will probably be a total faliure, and the attention of a boycott could indeep help the film.
    This is not ender's game (wich bay the way, it tanked)

Posted by: jjose712 | Dec 30, 2013 8:19:17 AM

6. AMC is all about money -- and they host "special showings" of all sorts of films that run for a day and then disappear, and they'll bail on a film if it's not generating enough audience (i.e., money). (It's worth noting that "Ender's Game" vanished from my local AMC theaters after a couple of weeks. "Thor" ran for almost two months.)

And in response to Alex's comment: FotF is a hate group; we know what their agenda is, and any information presented in this film is suspect. (And if it is, in fact, well-made, that in itself would be a surprise.) I think what's going to be most worth paying attention to is the press response: it's almost axiomatic that the press gives FotF and its ilk a free pass on their BS, and I'll be watching for reviews to see how it's handled. And then I'll start writing letters to the editor.

And yes, we all know raising children is a separate issue from same-sex marriage. Tell that to the "Christians" at FotF. Your remarks on that point are almost too naive to be real.

Posted by: Hunter | Dec 30, 2013 8:19:50 AM

7. @ Alex - our children had two parents actively involved in their lives - my husband and me.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 30, 2013 8:29:12 AM

8. I don't see anything wrong with people going and seeing something in documentary form that they choose to see. We get the same consideration.

Posted by: Joey Y | Dec 30, 2013 8:35:58 AM

9. wait..whats that I hear? yep..its a incoming BOMB! its gonna BOMB!

Posted by: disgusted american | Dec 30, 2013 8:42:16 AM

10. This is a case of letting it die a silent, lonely death. Nobody outside of the wacko right will see it on the single night it plays. It's a non-factor in the market.

@MIKE IN THE MARKET, I don't think Alex would disagree with you. A job with four hands on deck is easier to do than just two. I don't think it matters to Alex that it's two men or two women who do it. It's not necessarily a value judgment as it is a statement about efficiency.

Posted by: Princely | Dec 30, 2013 9:01:21 AM

11. Have you ever been to a Fathom event? They SUCK. We went to a Star Trek "Special Showing" a couple months ago and it was awful. Aside from the fact that it was well publicized and poorly attended, the quality of the showing was horrendous and the audience really could care less about the viewing. And it was EXPENSIVE. I would not care to do one again.

That said; BFD; what difference is this to the local ABC affiliate broadcasting "The 700 Club"? So what? Good luck to them.

Posted by: Rad | Dec 30, 2013 9:11:42 AM

12. Went to see Saving Mr. Banks on Christmas at an AMC outside of Denver. They ran the trailer for Irreplaceable, but also, more disturbingly, for Son of God - the movie version of that garbage "History" Channel miniseries The Bible. Graphic scenes of whipping, torture, etc. - looks like Passion of the Christ all over again. The thumpers are alive and well out there. Be vigilant.

Posted by: AC | Dec 30, 2013 9:26:45 AM

13. I'm pretty sure that anyone who pays for Fathom Events can rent the space. I wouldn't blame AMC. If this gets whipped into a boycotting frenzy, the film will get more attention. Anyone can make a documentary. It's very hard to make a good one and I doubt this is one of them.

Posted by: AJ | Dec 30, 2013 9:50:44 AM

14. Judging from the trailer, this film seems more upset by divorce than anything else.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 30, 2013 9:59:22 AM

15. To the degree that this demands any sort of response at all (I could care less), it seems to me that the appropriate thing is to work to schedule an appropriate Pride themed special event for next June, or some other gay-friendly documentary, rather than trying to punish AMC for this one.

I may be wrong, but in our area, these events are usually held in theaters in the upscale areas, and I don't see this attracting customers, unless it does become a Chik-Fil-A thing.

Let it die.

Notice it and see if it's part of a pattern - if we get credible reports that they are refusing gay events and promoting anti-gay events, for example. If this is a one-off, it's likely to do horribly.

Or, and I certainly couldn't afford to organize it, if it's that big a thing, set up a matching funds thing and get people to agree to match their sales figures dollar for dollar to go to Lambda Legal or another pro-gay organization, taking a page from the anti-Westboro Baptist playbook, where they got people to donate for every minute Phelps protested, and funded the local gay community center with it.

I'm not going to boycott AMC over this, unless it becomes a clear pattern.

Posted by: Lymis | Dec 30, 2013 10:04:31 AM

16. Went to see "Saving Mr. Banks" yesterday and the preview for this "one night only" event played. There were audible groans when it was over. That made me smile.

Posted by: C.J. | Dec 30, 2013 10:15:33 AM

17. What burns my butt is that this is happening on my birthday! Can I make a wish?

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 30, 2013 10:16:48 AM

18. The only thing that will make this "documentary" successful is us complaining and trying to boycott it. I am not stupid enough to play that game, thank you very much.

Posted by: johnosahon | Dec 30, 2013 10:30:00 AM

19. Cinemark/Century Theaters is also showing it. Ignore it and let it fizzle (though I have to admit, i have hissed a couple times when the trailer for it ends)--we've got bigger fish to fry, and don't need another "free speech martyr" controversy erupting.

Posted by: Dback | Dec 30, 2013 10:33:12 AM

20. My daughters had 4 parents actively involved in their lives: Me, my partner, my ex-wife, and her husband. Long story short: Quantity did not equate to quality.

Posted by: Ken | Dec 30, 2013 11:18:31 AM

21. Maybe I will stream something at home that day.

Posted by: Ajijic Den | Dec 30, 2013 11:26:17 AM

22. Between Cinemark and AMC, there's no place left to go to the movies. Fortunately, most Hollywood fare sucks ass, these days, so I guess we're not really missing out.

Posted by: FFS | Dec 30, 2013 11:30:15 AM

23. Twice now I've gone to the movies and had a trailer for this movie play while waiting for the actual trailers to begin. I booed loudly when I first realized what was being advertised, and the second time I booed for the entirety of the trailer.

Posted by: Tyler | Dec 30, 2013 12:43:00 PM

24. The best response is to create another film to debunk this one. However, giving this film more publicity (a la the Streisand Effect) is probably a bad idea.

Posted by: anon | Dec 30, 2013 1:11:57 PM

25. This is a case of grab some popcorn and giggle yourself silly at the attention whoring done by these people. You do not need to boycott the theater, the film, or the people behind it. You do need to Read them.

This bomb will be so bad, you probably won't even find it on the torrent sites.

Posted by: Robert | Dec 30, 2013 2:04:57 PM