Bob Newhart Cancels Appearance at Anti-LGBT Group’s Annual Summit with Santorum, Donohue

Newhart

A message on Bob Newhart's Twitter account notes that the TV icon has canceled a scheduled appearance headlining an annual summit for the anti-LGBT Legatus Group alongside Rick Santorum and Bill Donohue.

Newhart tweeted:

Upcoming Bob Newhart Tour Date Change — Bob will not be performing at the Legatus Summit in Orlando FL on February 6

No explanation was offered for the cancellation.

GLAAD writes:

There was no further statement given. However, it is possible that Newhart, like many people were unaware that Legatus was such a rabid anti-LGBT organization. The organization was created by former Domino's Pizza CEO, Thomas Monaghan, for Roman Catholic businesspeople, and membership is only available to top level executives…

…Two petitions were created, asking Newhart to reconsider his gig with Legatus. One, created by Faithful America, got about 17K sigs calling on Newhart to cancel his Legatus gig. The other was created on Change.org by a transgender comic and former Roman Catholic, who also asked Newhart to back out of the summit.

For more on the Legatus Group read HERE.

Comments

1. says

Well that’s a relief.

I was astonished when I first heard about this because Bob Newhart has never taken any sort of political stand across the course of his long career — much less a wackaloon homophobe one.

He must have been misinformed about the event initially, and then found out the truth thanks to everyone speaking up.

2. CC says

This is a great example of how speaking up and speaking out can make a difference. I’m sure comics get booked all the time for corporate gigs and other conventions and have only the vaguest understanding of what the organization really is. Now he knows. His career is not going to collapse at this late point if his LGBTQ fans drop him, so I have no reason to assume he didn’t back out for honorable reasons.

3. anon says

I had originally thought that his agent did the booking because the price was right without thinking it through, and I’m guessing I was right about that. Bob Newhart and Alan Alda built their careers on being nice guys.

4. Bob says

“You’re a what? A…a…a hate group? And what is it that you hate? Really! I…I…I…I… had no idea. And…and if I hate your hate group, do we cancel each other out? Or how…how does that work? Hello?”

5. woody says

Thanks, Bob.
    After all the great laughs, speaking at legatus was not the way I want to think of you.
    The final scene of Newhart with you in bed with Suzanne Pleshette is the funniest scene i’ve ever seen on tv. I actually did fall off the couch!

6. homogenius says

This comes as a relief. I can easily understand how an older catholic like Bob who is probably not acquainted or affiliated with the rightwing lunatic fringe of catholocism might be unaware of Legatus’ darker side. There are, after all, millions of American catholics who ignore large portions of the catholic orthodoxy, including approved teachings and even their own pastor and bishop. I’ll happily give him a pass on this one until and unless I have some evidence that he was actually culpable or in agreement with Legatus’ fringier activities.

7. arch says

Newhart seems like a figure from so long ago; an original Mad Man from a lost world of dry martinis and cars with fins!

So glad he put a stop to this booking and that he is still around to work, a real american treasure, please make the lost of him while you still have him!