Bill Donohue | Bob Newhart | Catholic Church | News | Rick Santorum

BigGayDeal.com

Bob Newhart Headlining Anti-LGBT Group's Annual Summit with Rick Santorum, Bill Donohue

Newhart

Legendary TV icon Bob Newhart is set to headline an annual summit for the anti-LGBT Legatus Group, Jeremy Hooper reports for GLAAD.

Hooper notes a bit of the group's anti-gay history:

On November 1, 2012, Legatus magazine, the print publication of the conservative Catholic organization of the same name, listed five "non-negotiables" for voters about to head to the polls. Marriage equality (which the magazine labeled homosexual "marriage," smear quotes and all) was one of the five listed items, with the staff writer instructing Catholics "to avoid voting for candidates who endorse or promote policies that provide for any of these acts and to vote instead for those who promote policies in keeping with moral law." The phrase "intrinsic evil" was used seven times.

Although this organization's insistence that civil marriage equality is one of God's major unacceptables shouldn't come as a huge surprise, considering Legatus pushes the idea that homosexuality itself is a "disorder" from which one must be "cured." I'm not exaggerating when I say that. In a 2011 Legatus piece, Legate John Haas (whose family has close ties to the National Organization for Marriage, by the way) called for our "curing" in the clearest of language.

Also telling are the folks appearing with Newhart:

And get this: Newhart is scheduled to appear alongside such noted anti-LGBT figures as the Catholic League's Bill Donohue and Rick "man on dog" Santorum. Yeah, it's going to be that kind of a night. Why in Larry, Darryl, and my other brother Darryl's name would Mr. Newhart, legendary TV star and one of the most genuinely well-liked people to ever appear before a film camera, sign up for such a gig?!

GLAAD has reached out to Newhart's people "to let them know how, exactly, an appearance at this event will come across to LGBT people and allied voices."

Comments

1. I wish he had not done that!

Jeez Bob

Posted by: mymy | Dec 12, 2013 6:54:59 PM

2. I'm so dissapointed. I loved both The Bob Newhart Show and Newhart.

Posted by: BETTY | Dec 12, 2013 7:04:38 PM

3. Mr Newhart appeared in "In And Out" as the school principal, lampooning the very sorts of individuals he's about to address and share a stage with. This makes no sense.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 12, 2013 7:11:22 PM

4. It's not over until it's over. I suspect this part of the show will not go on. (At leas, I sure hope not!)

Posted by: KJ | Dec 12, 2013 7:24:48 PM

5. I fear another great actor will not be remembered for his roles, but for coming out on the wrong side of history. I guess I need to reconsider my opinion of Mr. Newhart. Sir, I am so disappointed in you.

Posted by: KJH | Dec 12, 2013 7:31:46 PM

6. Disappointing, like when Steve Allen went off his rocker on a homophobic screed. Not that I'm excusing it but a) people sometimes start acting wierd when they get really old and b) the Silent Generation absorbed a LOT of homophobia in its day.

Still, I'm hoping it was some kind of mistake.

Posted by: BZ | Dec 12, 2013 7:32:51 PM

7. bob, if you keep this gig I hope that you'll find some clever ways to lay into these folks.

Posted by: woody | Dec 12, 2013 7:35:29 PM

8. Another disappointment, but not a real surprise - also scheduled to speak is former Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz.

Posted by: AdamTh | Dec 12, 2013 7:44:22 PM

9. Sorry to hear that. However, Bob Newhart was born and raised in a middle class Irish Catholic family. I think that all his education was in Catholic schools. He is probably attending that affair because he agrees with them.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 12, 2013 7:44:36 PM

10. On the other hand, the comedy icon Bob Newhart might follow Elton John's lead in accepting the invitation to Russia and speak directly to the audience about the importance of equality and human rights which he has ALWAYS supported! Certainly hope so . . .

Posted by: Mike | Dec 12, 2013 7:45:45 PM

11. What a bummer. I'm sure he was told it was a "family event" or similar.

He'll need to cancel, or... he's dead to me.

Posted by: pete n sfo | Dec 12, 2013 7:47:14 PM

12. Slugfest starring couchfart 80s stars - WTF else is new?

Ban the 20th century. NOW.

Posted by: Guido | Dec 12, 2013 7:50:06 PM

13. Well... they did invite Stephen Colbert to the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner.

Maybe this is just a new Catholic trend...

Posted by: Randy | Dec 12, 2013 7:51:57 PM

14. I always thought he was one of the good ones. I was wrong. Shame on him for working for bigots.

Posted by: Red | Dec 12, 2013 7:52:49 PM

15. Very strange, especially given he's recently guest-starred twice on Big Bang Theory with Jim Parsons.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Dec 12, 2013 8:06:37 PM

16. Very strange, especially given he's recently guest-starred twice on Big Bang Theory with Jim Parsons.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Dec 12, 2013 8:06:37 PM

17. Reminds me of when I discovered Orson Bean was a big supporter of Prop H8.

Posted by: Lexis | Dec 12, 2013 8:14:30 PM

18. M O N E Y----- pay attention people. He is doing it for the money. Like Beyoncé, Like Jennifer Lopez,

Seriously, he is an 80 year old man, Lighten up.

Posted by: HA! | Dec 12, 2013 8:40:30 PM

19. Bob Newhart is a brilliant stand-up comedian. He could handle this very well and put them to shame in a clever way. He'd have the pope on his side, who thinks these extreme right-wing catholics aren't helping.
    Andrew, loads of people who went to Catholic schools can't stand the right-wing holier-than-thou Catholic crap. Catholics, by and large, disagree with the loudmouth bishops on gay marriage, birth control and many other issues.
    He may agree with Santorum et al, but I wouldn't be surprised if he layed into them.

Posted by: woody | Dec 12, 2013 9:17:05 PM

20. I know this is bad, but I hope there's at least audio of Lou Holtz lisping through his speech. It would be hilarious.

Posted by: Rocco | Dec 12, 2013 9:22:44 PM

21. Maybe he just needs to be informed.

But wouldn't it be totally awesome if he attended the event and made a pro-gay speech to a stunned audience! Lol

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Dec 12, 2013 9:24:40 PM

22. Bobbbbbbbb.....really??? Just stop it! No, stop it!

Posted by: zeddy | Dec 13, 2013 12:02:44 AM

23. I'm with KJ on this. But Newhart is on Twitter -- @BobNewhart. Let's let him know!

Posted by: chris | Dec 13, 2013 12:52:39 AM

24. Sad. I have just got my record deck back into action. Now I have had to bin 5 Bob Newhart records ;-( No place in my house.

Posted by: Chris hoult | Dec 13, 2013 1:33:04 AM

25. @Chris hoult: don't be too hard on him. Given his age, he might be on the verge of Alzheimer's and may not quite understand what the gig is.

On the other hand, if I were a comedian as talented, and basically retired, I might take consider taking that job too - with every intention of coming up with something that would crack up the LGBT community and infuriate the idiots paying the bill. Newhart could do that if he wants to - at this point he must be independently wealthy.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 13, 2013 1:48:51 AM