Food and Drink | News

Can Nuts Help You Lose Weight? — VIDEO

Nuts

Should you be pounding the almonds, pistachios, cashews, and walnuts over the holidays?

Well, not exactly. But new research suggests they could have something to do with controlling appetite:

Research has found that people can snack on modest amounts of them without gaining pounds, and that nuts can even help in slimming down.

This dieting power is particularly hard to fathom when you consider that nuts pack 160 to 200 calories in each tiny ounce, not even a handful. And most of those calories come from fat. Ounce for ounce, cashews and pecans and walnuts are loaded with more calories than many of the processed foods being blamed for the surge in obesity. In the conventional wisdom, a dieter’s best friends are watery foods like celery and carrot sticks.

Watch an illustrative video from the NYT, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. There's a whole lot more to weight management than calories; counting calories alone isn't enough. That's why a few years ago Weight Watchers made most vegetables and fruits free foods -- for the fibre in them, I think (not sure of whole reason.) If you're considering weight management in the New Year, you may wish to consider Weight Watchers for men. You can do it online for 20 bucks a month. No, I don't work for them, lol, I'm just a member who can say I'm one person it totally worked for.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Dec 24, 2013 1:00:56 PM

2. Tamari almonds and cashews FTW.

Posted by: grant | Dec 24, 2013 1:06:30 PM

3. Of course nuts can help you lose weight. Every time I see Sarah Palin on TV I can't eat for a week without puking.

Posted by: dommyluc | Dec 24, 2013 1:49:51 PM

4. i eat less when I eat anything healthy. When you eat junk food your body isn't satisfied and you eat more. Also going to the gym or running 3 times a week for 45 min will keep you from adding weight.

Posted by: Name: | Dec 24, 2013 2:17:37 PM

5. excellent bbc documentary on the most recent science of weight loss. explains why soup and low-fat yogurt (along with the usual fruit and veg) make losing weight a whole lot easier without feeling hungry.

Posted by: ascanius1 | Dec 24, 2013 2:26:12 PM

6. I enjoy raw almonds and cashews, probably too much. I snack on them during work breaks. They do satiate my hunger. I end up eating less because a handful of nuts are filling, and that fullness lasts a good while.

Posted by: ian | Dec 24, 2013 2:31:22 PM

7. Not all calories are even remotely close to being the same.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 24, 2013 2:37:29 PM

8. Why do I feel like the price of nuts is about to double. Just like every time Doc Oz recommends something, the prices double and it sells out.

My go to snack - celery with Sriracha.

Posted by: Craig | Dec 24, 2013 2:37:50 PM

9. One Xmas I was exceedingly genocidal and consumed nothing but cashews and skim milk. Lost twelve pounds in a week.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Dec 24, 2013 4:06:56 PM

10. Quicksilver, I know a similar feeling. I work from home, and since my ex moved out, I've become more of a grazer than I already was. Never a full meal. I also got tired of grocery shopping. Within two months I'd lost 40 pounds without realizing it was anywhere near that much.

I had an inkling that something was amiss when the only jeans that fit were from when I was 13--almost 30 years ago. And all my friends were constantly trying to get me to eat, but it seemed gross. I was probably having an overly empathetic response to my dog giving up food, knowing what that would mean.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 25, 2013 12:18:30 AM

11. There's another aspect to snacking on nuts. Since the volume is small your stomach can shrink even though you feel full. Then later meals of smaller volume will fill you up. Same principle as lap band surgery to shrink stomach capacity.

Posted by: james st. james | Dec 25, 2013 7:35:32 PM

12. And of course if you just lick them you can lose weight.

Posted by: james st. james | Dec 26, 2013 8:40:39 AM