FOX News Reporter Defends ‘Duck Dynasty’ Star from Attacks by ‘Anti-Straights’

P_robertson

FOX News reporter Todd Starnes defended Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson today after Robertson's anti-gay remarks in GQ began making headlines, Media Matters reports.

StarnesSaid Starnes on Twitter:

Intolerant, Anti-Straight groups are targeting Duck Dynasty … Mainstream Media STUNNED to find out that Duck Dynasty staff believes in the teachings of the Bible…It was only a matter of time before intolerant, anti-Christian haters targeted Duck Dynasty…Shouldn't Americans be allowed to hold personal beliefs — even if you don't agree with them?…The Mainstream Media and militant gay rights groups will try to destroy Duck Dynasty. Just watch….At what point do all these bigots demand that the Bible be outlawed because of what it says about "you know what"?

In addition to comparing homosexuality to sex with animals, Robertson also said homosexuals would be going to hell like drunks and terrorists, adding:

“It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

Media Matters writes, of Starnes:

Starnes is one of Fox News' most rabid purveyors of homophobia. He has urged fans to donate to anti-gay hate groups, endorsed anti-LGBT business discrimination, promoted the conspiracy theory that President Obama is secretly gay, and blamed "heterophobic bigots" for the withdrawal of an anti-gay pastor from Obama's inaugural ceremony. While Starnes is keen to malign supporters of LGBT equality as "intolerant" "bigots," his history of hateful commentary exposes his virulent bigotry.

Starnes

Comments

1. Dex says

So we get verbally attacked and when we get upset about it we’re the bigots? I think I saw this episode of the “Twilight Zone”.Also a relic of the 60’s just better preserved than this duck dynasty fucktard.

2. ToThePoint says

We are living with hell on earth. Death will be a permanent reprieve from this hell because there IS NO after-life. It is all a big fairy-tale that was started when Joseph said “I did not have sex with that woman, Mary”. Immaculate conception, my a**.

3. says

I’m tired of bigots putting their personal opinions out into the world and getting surprised when everyone doesn’t agree with them. Here’s a tip, keep your PERSONAL OPINIONS to yourself and you won’t have to worry about stuff like this.

4. Knight of the Sorrowful Countenance says

These bigots have every right to hold their opinions and to spew them to whomever they wish. However, I have the same rights and have the right to hold advertisers accountable for sponsoring the shows of those with whom I disagree.

5. Dan Cobb says

Apparently Starnes believes that right-wing religious moronic bigots have freedom of speech but gay people shouldn’t be able to criticize what they say…. So much for “freedom of speech”…. And Starnes… in case you’re too moronic to notice, nobody ever stopped these hillbilly aholes from saying anything at all. Please tell us what they’ve been prevented from saying????

6. The Milkman says

Whatever. Yes, miss thang, you’re gonna get criticized for being a homophobic bigot these days. The times, they are a-changing.

You can hold whatever opinion you want, just like racists can. Just don’t expect people to give you a pass when you start flapping your pie hole.

7. MichaelJ says

Ditto what Derrick wrote. Bigots cite free speech to defend what they have said but don’t consider any criticism of what they have said as an exercise in free speech. The charge of people wanting to deny homophobes their free speech is bogus because people are arguing against what homophobes say, not the right to say it. Fox News pundits and other homophobes are the ones attacking free speech by asserting that their opinions are above criticism.

8. Ricco says

Mr. Robertson said, “Start with homosexuality and morp out from there.”

As I recall the first sin (according to the Bible), that is original sin, STARTED with Adam and Eve’s disobedience, THEN it morped out from there.

It STARTED with the sin of a heterosexual couple.

It is human bias, not the Bible, that constantly harps on homosexuality. The bible makes two or three seeming references to homosexuality. In regards to sexual sin, the Bible has MUCH-MUCH MORE to say about heterosexual based sins, while Christians, like Mr. Robertson, have MUCH-MUCH LESS to say about heterosexual based sins, or about the infidelities of heterosexual men and women, infidelity by the way, being the ONLY legitimate reason GIVEN by Jesus whereby a man may divorce his wife (Matthew 5:32). But Mr. Robertson wants to make out that it (sin) all STARTS with homosexuality, not with heterosexual men and women who constantly, and for the flimsiest reasons, break their sacred vows, destroying their marriages, causing GREAT damage to their families, . . . then blaming homosexuals for their sins, for the corruption of their marriage and family.

Paul writes in Phillipians 2:12 “to work out YOUR salvation with fear and trembling.” So we know from that admonition that Salvation STARTS not with homosexuals, but with INDIVIDUAL MEN and WOMEN focusing their attention where? ON THEM SELVES.

Nothing in the bible supports this campaign Christian’s have where they focus on the sins of homosexuals and others rather than themselves.

And THAT, my friends, not his beliefs, is what makes Mr. Robertson both a bigot, and a hypocrite.

9. Gregory In Seattle says

Faux Noize commentator supports a Bible-based bigot and screeches against the “unfairness” of calling people out for their bigotry?

I’m shocked. Shocked, I say!

10. Ricco says

To those who say gays and others should not be offended by what Mr. Robertson says because he was speaking God’s truth as stated in the scriptures, the offense actually comes from the fact that HE DOES NOT speak from a scriptual place. And it is THAT I find most offensive.

No where in the Bible is Mr. Robertson, or Christians, given free dispensation to judge and condemn ANYONE, not even homosexuals.

Romans 2:4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?

I could easily reference, MANY-MANY Biblical verses that are the opposite of how Mr. Robertson (and many like him), behave. Christians, as self-professed believers in Jesus Christ, and confessed students of the Holy Bible, should be frightened that they are in greater need to be reminded of what the Bible says then the unbeliever, because to whom much has been given, much more is expected.

If Mr. Robertson and others must be constantly reminded of the most basic Sunday School lessons, then they are still feeding on the milk of their faith, like great babes, rather than feasting on the meatier aspects of the christian faith, as is evidenced in Mr. Robertson’s vendetta against a group of people, gays.

His open disgust and contempt of homosexuals is antithetical to the VERY person of Jesus Christ and HIS ministry, of whom he professes love and obedience.

So WHO was Jesus Christ? If such a person existed/exists (something that can only be decided by each individual of their own free-will) then I hardly think it possible to give a definitive answer on the one-third part of the Eternal Holy Triune. But I do think I can speak a little to the man called Jesus Christ thus:

Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.

If homosexuality is, as Mr. Robertson, and others, say a sin, then we know that Jesus was tempted in the area of homosexuality, thus loves and identifies as much with us as he does Mr. Robertson, and other heterosexuals.

What else can one say about the historical man, Jesus Christ, as depicted in the holy bible? Just this:

Matthew 4:23 And he went throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom and healing every disease and every affliction among the people.

If that was the ministry of Jesus, then I have news for Mr. Robertson, and others who profess themselves Christians, THAT is also YOUR ministry.

11. anon says

He suffers from a classic double-dose of confirmation bias. Essentially, he attributes his life’s turn-around to his religious conversion, and any success he’s had since, or the ability to speak publicly will reinforce that notion in his mind. Successful business? I must be right! Successful TV show? I must be righter than right! Any who is successful will be very tempted by confirmation bias to believe their own propaganda.

12. woodroad34 says

It’s the whole “holier than thou” thing people in recovery put out; like ex-smokers who are vituperative around anyone who smokes; or ex-philanders who become born again ‘Christians’ like this fool, who has to denigrate everyone who is like how he was. Apparently nothing was learned and that sound you hear is a big whopping “karma fail” boom. And of course, the mini-mind set of this *snort* reporter *guffaw* just proves he’s nothing of anything.

13. SFshawn says

That obviously self-loathing closet case of a faux news reporter isn’t fooling anyone. Come out already and quit with making up fantasy terms like “anti-straight”. It would be more accurate if he referred to his detractors as “anti-stupidity” or “anti-ignorance”. Such hypocrites, liars and frauds. How they sleep at night is beyond me.

14. JackFknTwist says

@ STEPHEN :

I couldn’t agree more !
    It’s tragic that the great medium that television could be has been reduced to gutter garbage…….just to fill time.

And what person with even a modicum of education would give ten seconds of attention to these talentless drones ?

15. smokingmirror says

LGBT & Ally word:
    Anti-gay
    After appropriation:
    Anti-straight; Anti-christian

LGBT & Ally word:
    Homophobic
    After appropriation:
    Heterophobic

Add appropriation of words “intolerant” & “bigot”.

Pathetic. I don’t know what’s worse; the fact that he has to appropriate our words and morph them to express himself, or the fact that in order to go through that exercise he would have to know the words in the first place and continue to be those things.

“I’m an intolerant, anti-gay, homophobic bigot and I’m going to appropriate their words so I can project all my S*** onto them!”

Gross.

16. Rob says

You know….I don’t care what the comments are. No amount of foot-stomping will change ONE WORD of BIBLICAL TRUTH.

I’m ready to hear the horns anytime now God!

17. Marlene says

A&E won’t support his freedom of speech!Phil went to war to protect the freedom of speech of All Americans! He put his body in the path of bullets to protect our rights and he earned his rightsto freedome of speech like no other!!!!Phil’s sacrifice protects the freedom of even the American muslim’s, that puts bombs in the middle of marathons, and blow up children. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Obama didn’t go to war for our freedom of speech! Only Phil put himself in the line of fire for that particular freedom! So, Up yours A&E! We stand with Phil and the Robertson clan. At least we know he will fight for our freedoms that you are so happy to take away!

18. Reality says

He’s obviously mentally disturbed and if you look at his twitter, he’s gaining weight and losing hair at an alarming rate. Conservatism ruins you, inside and out.

19. AJ says

Somebody needs to change their picture. All I’m seeing is the stereotype of the most homophobic people being secretly gay. As with most scientific studies (all?) it’s not proven… but honey is giving smooth bottom realness, slightly used but promise it’s clean.

20. andrew says

@MARLENE: Phil Robertson was not in the military. If he “put his body in the path of bullets”, “put himself in the line of fire” he did it at Louisiana Tech not in Vietnam.

21. terryy slone says

Its a shame that anyone can be condemned for saying what they believe. I hope the RObertsons walk off the show. A&E doesn’t deserve to breath the same air.

22. COnsuelo says

The Gay Community Is Allowed To Speak & Protest For Their Rights But The Second Straight People Speak OUR Beliefs We’re Ostracized. What Is Wrong With This Picture. I STRONGLY SUPPORT PHIL’S RIGHT OF SPEECH
    The WORD of JEHOVAH says that in the end times “Good will be called EVIL & EVIL will be called GOOD”

23. JR says

Leviticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. 23 Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion. 24 Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you: 25 And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity there of upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants. 26 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor
    any stranger that sojourneth among you: 27 (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled;) 28 That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you. 29 For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people. 30 Therefore shall
    ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God.

24. Laura says

First of all – I think that the Interview was a “set up”..

You would have to be a complete idiot not to know what Phil’s opinion on homosexuals would be BEFORE you ask such a ridiculous question – OR is it now time for the green eyed monsters jealous of the Duck Dynasty fame to try to take them down .

Secondly – I don’t think Phil should have taken the interview.

Lastly – EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion and I don’t fault Phil in any way , especially stating the Bible. There are allot worse views, opinion, visual disgust on TV than what Phil’s morals are – you go Phil – at least you have Morals . You should be ashamed of yourself A&E HYPOCRITES ~ –

I would believe that by the end of this day Duck Dynasty is courted and wooed by every other network in the Industry – Good going A&E – what fools you are..