California | Hate Crime | News | News Clips | San Diego | Video

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Man Beaten With Baseball Bat In San Diego Assault: VIDEO

Dwayne Wynn

San Diego man Dwayne Wynn was walking around a residential area just after midnight when a car pulled up behind him and the three men inside got out. When one called out an anti-gay slur, Wynn turned and caught a baseball bat upside the head, shattering his eye socket. As the men continued to beat him, Wynn suffered three cracked ribs and fractured fingers and needed 18 stitches for cuts he received in the attack. Because the attack was so sudden and brutal, Wynn was unable to get a detailed description of his attackers or their vehicle. One detail he did get: he could hear his attackers high-fiveing each other as they walked away.

Video of the news coverage can be seen AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. How much is anyone willing to bet the attackers consider themselves xian?

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Dec 26, 2013 9:20:27 AM

2. This barbaric experience brought you be the enabling of blood thirsty anti-gay troglodytes such as Tony Perkins, Bryan Fischer, and Brian Brown who all have blood on their rancid uncivilized hands.

Posted by: Sean | Dec 26, 2013 9:56:03 AM

3. Horrible, I hope a speedy recovery for Mr. Wynn

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 26, 2013 9:57:53 AM

4. I've said it before and I'll say it again: every LGBT person should buy and carry as much high-quality pepper spray as their local laws will allow and learn how to use it. I live in San Francisco and won't leave the house without it. I prefer the kind that shoots as a stream [insert joke here] so that there is less chance of it blowing back in my face due to wind. In the US you can get a can for less than 20 bucks.

Posted by: Eric | Dec 26, 2013 10:12:49 AM

5. It's hard to believe that this primitive type of nonsense is still taking place in the 21st Century.
    Take precautions. Don't be walking around by yourself late at night - there is safety in numbers. And arm yourself if necessary; the above posting mentioned pepper spray. And be prepared to run FAST!
    Blessings and all Good Will to our friend Mr. Wynn.

Posted by: David From Canada | Dec 26, 2013 10:35:11 AM

6. How would pepper spray have helped in this situation? Please describe in detail.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 26, 2013 10:44:56 AM

7. @Crispy: Just recently at the bank I go to, a robber/mugger was waiting outside, and attacked a man who just left the bank with cash, by spraying pepper spray into his face, and took off with his money.
    If it works for the attacker it might also work for the attackee.

Posted by: David From Canada | Dec 26, 2013 11:27:47 AM

8. This enrages me. It makes me not want to read news but that's not the answer. The fact is that some segment of the population (usually young men) get a thrill out of violence, and this poor guy was their chosen victim because he was gay. I hope they are caught but doubt they will be. But I would guess that at some point they will be caught for another crime.

Posted by: Matt | Dec 26, 2013 11:37:12 AM

9. That photo breaks my heart.

Posted by: amigao | Dec 26, 2013 1:46:30 PM

10. 23rd Psalm revised:
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.....
    today's translation...
    Yea though I walk down this residential street I will fear no a**h***: for thou art with me;thy blade and loaded glock they do comfort me...

Posted by: gb | Dec 26, 2013 2:03:33 PM

11. Yet another tragic reason why every gay man or lesbian should get himself or herself trained in proper self-defense and buy and legally carry a gun. Bashers can clobber you anytime, anywhere. Why take a chance on a split skull, a broken jaw, or getting beaten to death? You don't have to be a gun nut to want to be safe and secure in your person and property. If we gays fought back, there wouldn't be any bashings. Only gay people can stop gay bashing. Nobody will do it for us.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 26, 2013 2:30:24 PM

12. Believing that a gun would have helped this man's situation is the very epitome of "gun nut."

Posted by: crispy | Dec 26, 2013 3:03:03 PM

13. @Cripsy Believing pepper spray would have helped is the very epitome of "naïve" and "gay".

Posted by: David | Dec 26, 2013 5:22:48 PM

14. I don't think pepper spray would have helped... which is exactly what I implied.

Reading is fundamental.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 26, 2013 5:56:32 PM

15. According to Crispy, we should all just lay down and die now. Don't bother trying to defend yourselves; the bad, evil men will get you wherever you are.

Posted by: JimmyCap | Dec 26, 2013 6:22:50 PM

16. What would proper self-defense and/or pepper spray have done in this situation? He had multiple attackers and was struck before he even got a good look at anyone. I guess if there is a single attacker and you have a moment but cowards like this usually have to attack in a group to even muster up the gumption to do these horrible things.

Posted by: Derrick | Dec 27, 2013 1:49:26 AM