News | Taylor Kitsch | The Normal Heart

BigGayDeal.com

Taylor Kitsch Talks 'The Normal Heart'

Kitsch

Taylor Kitsch spoke about his role as Bruce Niles in The Normal Heart with NY Mag's Vulture.

Ryan Murphy has a real knack for casting against type and letting actors do what they normally haven't gotten to before. Did you feel that here, like you were doing something new?

[Exhales loudly.] On every level. But being out of your comfort zone is why you become an actor. You try to stretch yourself as much as you can.

So how did The Normal Heart stretch you?

I mean, look: I was born in '81. I had no idea about the whole AIDS epidemic. I'm straight, and playing a gay guy who's leading a double life, who's still in the closet, who's losing his lovers, who has AIDS but won't admit it to himself, who ends up dying … I mean, where do you want to start? F--k me, dude. It's insane. The body type, the fact that he works at Citibank, very high up on Wall Street, so learning that part of it and reading an insane amount of books about guys who were leading those kinds of lives, learning about AZT and where it started … I knew probably the surface stuff, but what I learned for this, the education I got, that was another great tool.

And something that can hopefully build on what Dallas Buyers Club is doing right now.

That's a great film, and McConaughey just knocked it the fuck out. [The Normal Heart] will really put you there. It's a bit more aggressive look into that world.

You can see Kitsch and his blond hair for a very brief moment in THIS promo for HBO's new season.

Comments

1. Well he could be a bit more eloquent, but who cares. But what's he referring to with "the body type"? Gay body fascism or AIDS wasting?

I'm sure that as a male named Taylor he knows more about this than he's revealing. I'm not suggesting that he's gay (I'd never heard of him before this), just that people get teased a lot for superficial things.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 17, 2013 9:16:56 AM

2. Actors are entertainment. Click and they're gone. Most are utterly trivial and prove it by speaking. What's his name has nothing to say of interest to more than idle people.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 17, 2013 9:25:31 AM

3. I'm getting really annoyed with the praise of Dallas Buyers Club given the issues surrounding it that Salon pointed out but are of course being completely ignored by everyone. Ugh nhft.

Really looking forward to The Normal Heart though.

Posted by: Cory | Dec 17, 2013 9:45:49 AM

4. It is a lovely white cast. I don't think Murphy needs to apologize to anyone for that.

Posted by: Tyler | Dec 17, 2013 1:27:58 PM

5. So TR, You can use the F word in your blog posts? I use s**t and you delete my posts? Whats up with that?

Posted by: Stephen | Dec 17, 2013 1:46:42 PM

6. Frankly, he must be deaf during all those years. He wasn't born in 1995 but in 1981, at least he is totally stupid, he must know something about the epidemic.

And by the way, starting a sentence with i'm straight when you are playing a gay role shows all kind of insecurities

Posted by: jjose712 | Dec 17, 2013 2:51:52 PM

7. More self-described straight actors "stretching" - how brave they are!

Posted by: newday | Dec 17, 2013 3:43:28 PM

8. The character of Bruce has a brutally painful arc - his Act II breakdown is a perfect articulation of the insecurity and shame of the "Brookes Brothers"-types, as they finally come face to face with the hatred and discrimination they've been able to avoid in daily life.

I look forward to seeing what Kitsch brings to the role.

I'm just so bloody thrilled that millions of people are going to get the chance to experience this landmark play. It's a transcendent work.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 17, 2013 3:52:29 PM

9. Kiwi, so why aren't you in it? Oh yeah, that's right. Your acting career is dead.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 17, 2013 5:22:31 PM

10. Some of you need to step out of your own world. Mr. Kitsch grew up in a town of Kelowna in Central British Columbia. Their current population is 180,000. (That's roughly the same size at Knoxville, Providence, or Brownsville.)

Why is it so hard to believe that a kid in that environment wasn't fully aware of AIDS? That's especially true if you consider his comments related to the time frame of the play/movie, which covers 1981-1984. He was three-years old.

Posted by: alex | Dec 18, 2013 2:00:18 AM

11. @Paul R: Click the link and read the article. It explains that Taylor dropped 20 pounds for the role. It had nothing to do with "body facism".

Posted by: melburke | Dec 18, 2013 2:06:35 AM