Comments

1. Jaker says

is it really necessary to keep describing araki as “openly bisexual japanese-american”? it must be in every piece I’ve read about him. why is this important information from the get-go? can we drop, with the “openly blah blah blah” already too? it sounds retrograde and old-fashioned now and it just feeds the stigma of whatever it is.

2. Robert says

JAKER, even though for us it feels antiquated to say it over and over again, there are still a lot of people who do not understand the importance of showing people that living openly about your sexuality furthers our cause to gain acceptance as normal functioning adults. Some people still think of being gay as a handicap and something to be shunned. I think it will be another few years before we can slowly start to shy away from always stating “openly gay/bisexual/etc.”

3. johnny says

Nah.

I agree with Robert.

It’s not necessary NOW, not later.

If people haven’t figured out that some humans are gay or bisexual by this point, they’re living under rocks.

4. Mike says

Araki’s films are hit-or-miss. I remember watching The Doom Generation on HBO when I was 12 or 13, and later Nowhere, and just not getting them. He’s awesome for never shying away from same-sex anything back in the day, which was pretty awesome for a gay teen in the mid-90s, but his movies were too weird for me.
    Mysterious Skin, however, was really good, way better than anything I saw of his previously.

5. Fenrox says

This is the reality of current “news” it’s all BS from some guy linking to some other thing. SO in reporting you gotta sum people up.

Also, you would do well to examine your reaction to this, Openly bisexual Japanese American man is not an insult or an awkward sell, it’s part of who that guy is, are YOU too sensitive for him to be called that? It has no bearing.

6. Fenrox says

Oh also, The Living End is amazingly bad, like gay Ed Wood films, it’s somewhat compelling though. You almost with the gay guys had super powers to make sense of their mutant-persecution takes on life. Makes sense that his next big movie was the Doom Generation, which is just a more fantastic exploration of the living end world.

From there you get Nowhere, which is kinda like the reverse of what just happened, it’s ok but hard to follow, which is why he made it a ton less magical and more palatable in Splendor.

Of all his films Splendor is the one I recommend. Sweet, watchable, sexy.

7. scudpipe says

I’ll start buying the “Openly bisexual Japanese American man is not an insult or an awkward sell, it’s part of who that guy is” argument when I start seeing openly gay/bisexual Anglo American or English American as part of descriptions in articles. Do you get it now?

8. etseq says

Araki is an overrated poseur who made ridiculous movies in the 90s that were only popular because he threw in some gay sex for shock value but his work was is no way friendly to gays. His characters were always nihilistic, especially the gay ones. He was also a complete jerk to the gay community about the whole “bisexual” thing – he was acclaimed by some gays at the time because everyone assumed he was gay and he did nothing to dissuade his fans. He used that cred to sell movies but when he married a woman, he was very indignant when he got some flack from gay people (not about being bisexual but for basically leading everyone to believe he was gay). The only movie of his I really liked was Mysterious Skin…