I'm Gay | News

Young Man Comes Out as Gay to His Mother, Records it for YouTube: VIDEO

Comingout

Posted to YouTube in late October, this video reveals a mother's reactions as her son comes out of the closet .

Writes the young man:

I made this video because when I was contemplating coming out for the last year, I found other similar videos of people coming out to family members on a hidden camera really helpful. I noticed that there weren't very many of these videos, so I wanted to create my own to help other people in the same way that I found these videos helpful. If you've created a similar one, I guarantee you I've seen it, so thank you so much for helping me. My mom reacted in an amazing way, and I really hope that all of you have a similar experience.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Have you seen our big list of all the prominent people who came out  in 2013?

Check out I'm Gay, LGBT, 'Whatever': The 53 Most Powerful Coming Outs of 2013.

Comments

1. It's sweet and touching, but I kept wondering:

1. Would it kill her to turn off the tv?
    2. Would it kill her to sit up?

I mean, this is probably the most momentous occasion of this kid's life and she acts like she's just taking a quick break from her "stories".

Posted by: jack | Dec 12, 2013 9:29:09 AM

2. Good job kid!

Posted by: andrew | Dec 12, 2013 9:42:44 AM

3. You are not allowed to make me cry in my office!

Posted by: Sean | Dec 12, 2013 9:59:10 AM

4. Good for you!

Now you just need to get rid of your ridiculous Hummer.

Posted by: Boston | Dec 12, 2013 10:01:13 AM

5. @Jack, the way her body is moving, she might have trouble sitting up/getting around. It seems like her legs have some kind of trouble.

Posted by: Joey Y | Dec 12, 2013 10:10:05 AM

6. "Mom, does it bother you that I secretly recorded the whole thing?"

Posted by: gr8guyca | Dec 12, 2013 10:11:41 AM

7. He should have turned off the damned tv! Love the dog.

Posted by: Jay | Dec 12, 2013 10:21:20 AM

8. Not amusing. Not touching. Not cute.

He has merely commodified something deeply personal for public consumption.

I find it appalling that he would do this.

Posted by: MaryM | Dec 12, 2013 10:26:46 AM

9. Kinda creepy.

Posted by: anon | Dec 12, 2013 10:41:08 AM

10. Very sweet an emotional, but one of countless others on youtube. Why is this one being posted? Why is Ben Cohen the ally that always gets hilighted? Just posting the hot hunky ones kind of undercuts everything.

Posted by: Pablo | Dec 12, 2013 10:41:41 AM

11. MaryM, I find your comment appalling (and highly judgemental). Sharing something so personal is not easy, and may have helped someone else who saw the video.

Posted by: Jamie | Dec 12, 2013 10:53:51 AM

12. I loved it. I love seeing real people connect through love. AND I LOVE HOW THE DOG CAME IN TO SAY HELLO ! lol

Posted by: Roger | Dec 12, 2013 10:57:33 AM

13. My mother's response: Well, if I had to guess among any of the five boys, it would have been you. Now stop drinking that Slurpee and have some breakfast.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 12, 2013 11:09:48 AM

14. I'm with @MARYM.

I am glad to see I am not the only person that rolls their eyes and gives an exasperated sigh every time similar videos are posted on this site. Too much meritless filler is one of the reasons I switched from that 'news' site that starts with a Q.

Also...
    Mom: "I don't think people should broadcast their sexuality."
    Son: Posts video on YouTube.

Posted by: Will | Dec 12, 2013 11:13:48 AM

15. There is just something disturbing with people recording all of the most intimate and private aspects of their lives. Are people that desperate for attention and fame? And I am sure that it helped that this guy is a good looking white guy and that is why it made it on this website. There are many more of these videos online but of course they don't make it on here because those people aren't nice to look at.

Posted by: Perry | Dec 12, 2013 11:16:19 AM

16. I loved the dog.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 12, 2013 11:28:16 AM

17. "I'm with @MARYM."

Let's hope your shots are up to date.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 12, 2013 11:28:23 AM

18. @MaryM/Will, no one forced you to watch it, and if you took the time to read the boring WORDS in the article instead of JUST watching the video, you would have seen: "I found other similar videos of people coming out to family members on a hidden camera really helpful. I noticed that there weren't very many of these videos, so I wanted to create my own to help other people in the same way that I found these videos helpful. If you've created a similar one, I guarantee you I've seen it, so thank you so much for helping me."

Posted by: Joey Y | Dec 12, 2013 11:53:46 AM

19. @MaryM/Will, no one forced you to watch it, and if you took the time to read the boring WORDS in the article instead of JUST watching the video, you would have seen: "I found other similar videos of people coming out to family members on a hidden camera really helpful. I noticed that there weren't very many of these videos, so I wanted to create my own to help other people in the same way that I found these videos helpful. If you've created a similar one, I guarantee you I've seen it, so thank you so much for helping me."

Posted by: Joey Y | Dec 12, 2013 11:53:48 AM

20. Yes, the dog! "Christ, what's the matter with these people now?"

Posted by: melvin | Dec 12, 2013 12:02:36 PM

21. MARYM should not broadcast her extremely significant views on line as it merely makes them public fodder for dispute and discussion.

Loved the boy and mom.

Posted by: Uffda | Dec 12, 2013 12:05:17 PM

22. "Commodified" my ass, MARYM is a grump.

Posted by: Uffda | Dec 12, 2013 12:07:03 PM

23. "If you've created a similar one, I guarantee you I've seen it, so thank you so much for helping me."

I hear that! When I was a teen and the internet was a strange and wonderful new thing I scoured the web for "homepages" (geocities, anyone?) of gay guys - coming out stories, pre-blog blogs about their experiences; looking for guidance and inspiration and avenues of hope. It was tremendously useful to me as a young teen to see stories of young guys who'd come out to friends and family, sharing their experiences with anyone and everyone online.

That's the beauty of the world wide web - if you can't get into every town, you can reach every home with an internet connection.

Kudos to this young man and his family, and all who reach out to help.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 12, 2013 12:08:51 PM

24. It's unfortunate that many of us assign motives to this young man's actions of posting this extremely personal, intimate situation on line. Ultimately, what he has done is FANTASTICALLY HELPFUL.He has shown other GLBT youth that, even if their coming out situation is a horrible experience (I never came out to my parents, my father was an abusive alcoholic), there ARE parents in the world who love and care for their children and accept them for who they are .Were I a gay youth, I would seriously consider letting my parents "accidently" seeing this video and gauging their response to determine how they would react to my coming out. Then reference the video in my own coming out process. If I had to assign a motive to this young man's behavior, it would be one of trying to help his brothers and sisters in the gay community.

Posted by: Mark | Dec 12, 2013 12:42:48 PM

25. AMEN, MARK!

I'm truly puzzled by the, I'm assuming here, grown adults whinging about this video. It ain't for you. It's for everyone who's still looking for inspiration and guidance. Not only are videos like this incredibly helpful to young people, but they're also incredibly helpful to the PARENTS of young LGBT people. Seeing how other parents react, respond ....it often helps guide them through the "news" of having a gay child. Come on, already. It's not about fame, it's not about anything of the sort - it's about using the web to get that useful message to the people who need it most, whom you can't reach in-person.
    Yes - things like this are useful. I'm living proof.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 12, 2013 12:48:17 PM