Football | I'm Not Gay | Italy | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Manchester United Player Anderson Asked if He's Gay at Italian Press Conference: VIDEO

Anderson

Manchester United midfielder Anderson is on loan to Italian football club Fiorentina until the end of its season and got an unexpected question at a press conference announcing that he was joining the team.

The footballer was asked if he's gay by a member of the press.

Said Anderson: "Me, gay? I have much respect for them, but I like women. I have four kids and I don't even watch television. This is the first time I've heard this story. Still, I repeat, I have much respect for homosexuals, but I like women."

If you'd like you can watch the presser in Italian, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It must be the "do" that provoked the question. Seriously dude it's not flattering.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Jan 30, 2014 11:28:37 AM

2. I think it was a good answer. He respects gays but is straight.

Posted by: Matt27 | Jan 30, 2014 11:35:33 AM

3. It's a good answer but why would anyone ask the question in the first place.

And I WONT GROW UP, why would that hairstyle prompt anyone to ask the question. Is a bad fauxhawk a stereotype for gay men? Think before you type.

Posted by: Daniel | Jan 30, 2014 11:54:08 AM

4. Excellent response. Other athletes should take note.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jan 30, 2014 12:03:06 PM

5. i think the question was for the translator.

Posted by: Cd in DC | Jan 30, 2014 12:17:29 PM

6. Actually, the reporter says that Anderson has become an icon after coming out as gay, one of the first among professional players. Anderson than says he had never heard the story about his coming out before arriving to Italy.

Posted by: borut | Jan 30, 2014 12:29:23 PM

7. Actually, the reporter says that Anderson has become an icon after coming out as gay, one of the first among professional players. Anderson than says he had never heard the story about his coming out before arriving to Italy.

Posted by: borut | Jan 30, 2014 12:29:23 PM

8. It sounds like someone punk'd that reporter, and he fell for it.

I've never heard any rumors about Anderson. He's pretty boring in the gossip department.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 30, 2014 12:43:06 PM

9. @Crispy: I don't know anything about boring in the gossip department, but four kids or not, I'd be wiling to show him around.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Jan 30, 2014 12:52:05 PM

10. That answer wasn't bad, but I think a better answe would be "It shouldn't matter whether I'm gay, straight, bi or asexual. I'm here to discuss football -- not to find a date."

This is not an appropriate question. Most of us would never expect to be asked at a staff meeting whether we're gay, when was our first kiss or when did we last have sex, are we in love, things like that. It. should be no different for an athlete.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 30, 2014 1:14:04 PM

11. @I wont grow up

LOL! You think something that's not flattering must be gay?! Believe me, a stupid faux hawk like that is anything BUT gay.

Posted by: Jamie | Jan 30, 2014 2:05:49 PM

12. Anderson? Just one name? Like Cher?

Posted by: Joe Bua | Jan 30, 2014 2:08:32 PM

13. @gregv

"That answer wasn't bad, but I think a better answe would be "It shouldn't matter whether I'm gay, straight, bi or asexual. I'm here to discuss football -- not to find a date.""

If he had said this, it might come off as trying to avoid the question. I think he gave the best answer he could.

Posted by: Matthew | Jan 30, 2014 2:59:46 PM

14. "Anderson? Just one name? Like Cher?"

More like Pele. It's common for Brazilians to go by first name or nicknames.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 30, 2014 3:08:01 PM

15. Is a press conference of a soccer player on his new club, what kind of idiot ask him if he is gay?
    He was smart enough to not being offended, and if i was married to a woman with 4 children i would be offended to being called gay. Not because being called gay, but because he is calling him lier.

The truth is the journalist put him in a akward situation, because caught by surprise it couldn't be difficult his response could be interpreted as homophobic with the consecuent backlash, when the question was irresponsible in first place.

And if the player was really gay, it's his choice to come out when he wants, not when a gossip monger want it

Posted by: jjose712 | Jan 30, 2014 3:14:38 PM

16. What language was Anderson speaking?

Posted by: Alan | Jan 30, 2014 3:17:14 PM

17. Anderson speaks Portuguese.

Fun fact: When he first started playing for Man United, he was friendly with Ronaldo because they spoke the same language.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 30, 2014 3:23:41 PM

18. And this question was asked why? Not an appropriate question to ask.

Posted by: Perry | Jan 30, 2014 3:37:49 PM

19. @Matthew: I think when an inappropriate question is asked, it's most appropriate not to give the answer being demanded.
    For example, I once saw a waitress in an elegant restaurant being asked by an inebriated customer, "How big are your breasts?"
    There's nothing wrong with her answering something like: "That's a question I'll field from the salesman at the Sears bra department, but your questions here should be about the menu."

Whatever a celebrity's good intentions may be, publicly announcing that you're into the opposite sex is always in effect claiming heterosexual privilege. I admire the straight ones who refuse to claim that privilege by giving nuanced answers.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 30, 2014 3:57:07 PM

20. That hair screams straight.

Posted by: bravo | Jan 30, 2014 8:15:12 PM